3-9 Scope vs Red Dot Speed Test: 10, 50, and 100 Yards

3-9 Scope vs Red Dot Speed Test: 10, 50, and 100 Yards

In this video we test the Aimpoint Micro red dot vs the Leupold Mark AR 3-9×40 Scope in a speed test at 10, 50, and 100 yards to see if the red dot is really faster.

DONATE ONLINE

Here is a link to donate to a local shelter in Ames Iowa that could use your support

DONATE ONLINE

My Patreon Account
#best

1. Amber Kloosterman on July 23, 2022 at 7:24 pm

I have iron sights at a 45 degree angle and I am leaning towards purchasing a 3×9 scope over a red dot. My iron sights would be used for 0-100 and a redfield or vortex scope for 100-300 yards. I have a windham weaponry src in 7.62×39.

2. J Diggy on July 23, 2022 at 7:24 pm

I run a little Vortex Venom Red Dot on top of my Vortex 3×9 Diamondback using Burris PEPR rings and have the two co-witnessed. For me it’s been a great set up. I can easily switch between them and I can consistently hit 4 inch targets with my red dot at a 100 yards from an unsupported standing position. Being is I’m pretty new to rifles (pistol fan), I think that’s pretty good. I have quick acquisition in close quarters with the red dot and the ability stretch my legs a several hundred yards with scope.

3. Fear No Evil on July 23, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Awesome 👍👍👍👍👍

4. Kilian 303. 11-Hydrox. on July 23, 2022 at 7:27 pm

I use an Eotech XPS2 at distances of 100 yards easily. I also have 2×8 Nikon I use from barrel contact to 100 yards just as quickly it seems to me. Taking the both of my optics out in the next couple weeks and going to try them from 300 yards and going to try up to 1000… I’m confident up to 500 yds hits with the scope, going to really try with the XPS2 anything after that it’s going to be scope only hits I’m sure.

5. Peter Olsen on July 23, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Three point zero nine… plus the "time out my dot isn’t working"… good luck using that in self defense.

6. NotMyName on July 23, 2022 at 7:30 pm

What kind of buttstock is That?

7. That's My Two Cents on July 23, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for the honest review. I have been contemplating replacing my 3 – 9 with a red dot, but my gun is built mainly for hunting. I appreciate your insight.

8. Brian - on July 23, 2022 at 7:31 pm

red dot vs scope is easy choice for me im building a 308 semi auto rifle from scratch and id perfer a scope but i also want to be able to use my iron sights which most scopes are in the way. since i can make just about any parts i need i thought about a scope that folds down to the side but i cant think of a way to secure it well enough to keep it zeroed in.

9. Tom Olofsson on July 23, 2022 at 7:31 pm

I would love to see this test repeated by a less skilled shooter. Which is better for the typical home defender?

10. matt Kovacs on July 23, 2022 at 7:31 pm

what about using that 3-9 scope and having an offset red dot with it?

11. Red pilled patriot on July 23, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Luepold do a 3-9 with a 30mm tube .? Awesome vid, i can’t believe you don’t have even more subs

12. G. on July 23, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Cool vid! You should check out some of the scope options from Primary Arms. They are Military dudes designing EXCELLENT optics for all applications. On my 20" SDMR I run their 4x14x44 with the ACSS reticle (advanced combat sighting system )…really helped my shooting. Have fun, G.

13. rayjay6769 on July 23, 2022 at 7:37 pm

thank you for taking the time to make and post the video. well done!

14. Govna 1673 on July 23, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I know this video is a few years old but obviously still relevant. Thanks for the info and kudos to the camera boss/director.

15. -Marshall - on July 23, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Should have been a 1-6x vs red dot

16. loboswed on July 23, 2022 at 7:40 pm

The red dot sight was invented in sweden for use in driven hunts while shooting on running animals. We uses dog when we hunt and often the animal is moving and fairly close. So the thing about the red dot it is more like sighting a shotgun and use the red dot instinctivly than taking precise aim. Larry Vicker has a video when he is in Malmoe at aimpoint factory that they talk about this. You can also watch videos about driven hunts where people are using red dots.

17. Steve S on July 23, 2022 at 7:44 pm

I bought my M&P 15 sport 2 for close range with iron sights…I do fantastic with it at 50 yards and ok at 100. I have a Tikka T3x lite 308 with a Vortex Viper scope for long range and a Styer Mannlicher dual trigger with a bipod if I really want to reach out and touch someone. Red dots to me are a waste of money. My 2 cents.

I wish people would stop making rifles into something they’re not designed for.

18. Dave Lambert on July 23, 2022 at 7:47 pm

What happened at 3:03 when the cameraperson said "you hit me"??

19. ΓΞΙΔΛΞ on July 23, 2022 at 7:50 pm

I use a $30 red dot and an $80 scope.¯_(ツ)_/¯

20. Shen Tsu on July 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm

I hit 100 yard 10" plate with red dot 9/10. But still, can’t beat an LPVO.

21. Juan Cervantes on July 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Which angled fore grip are you running on the rifle with the scope?

22. kempoguy on July 23, 2022 at 7:55 pm

I will be picking off the horde at 200 yrds. quickly,  and then a bit slower as they get closer…I love my 3×9 on my AR…With my laser on the side of the  rifle, it will be LOS…I see you at a closer range you lose.

23. Coach 1092 on July 23, 2022 at 7:55 pm

What would happen if you shot right to left? You can see the upcoming target earlier with the non-dominant eye.

24. John McClane on July 23, 2022 at 7:57 pm

I’m debating a red dot between a 1-4 right now.

25. orion 2250 on July 23, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Mic sounds good,great wind noise resistance

26. Nick_ P_ on July 23, 2022 at 8:05 pm

great video man. THank you

27. calangel on July 23, 2022 at 8:06 pm

Scope with illuminated reticle. Problem solved

28. Wild Man Outdoors on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Haha I laughed out loud when that timer kept going rogue 😂😂
    Great vid as always

29. Randy Helgeson on July 23, 2022 at 8:08 pm

There is a device to flip the scope to red dot?
    With out taking it off?

30. Kanye West on July 23, 2022 at 8:09 pm

I would be interested in seeing this same test done with a 1-6 or 1-8 as opposed to the 3-9. In my experience I cant really see much of a difference in times when operating up close.

31. strat1080 on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

There was actually a more significant difference between the scope and red dot at 50 yards in favor of the scope than there was at 10 yards. The red dot was “marginally” faster at 10 yards while the scope was significantly faster at 50 and 100.

32. Red pilled patriot on July 23, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Did aero precision give you a free mount when your other one broke?

33. Michael Leopold on July 23, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Exactly the video I was looking for

34. IG Gonz24 on July 23, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Everything comes down to proficiency. If you have a sight setup that is your preference, practice with it so aiming is second nature. In my view, I think fixed magnified acog type sights have the biggest disadvantage because the eye relief is so bad, but then again, they are not designed for up close combat. They’re more medium to long range sights. Still, after having used one I think lots of shooting drills can help someone work through the short comings.

35. yuotube011 on July 23, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Got a little too political at the end. Someone is pushing their homeless, recycling agenda!

36. Sunshine_Shooter on July 23, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Suggestion: Wear your shot timer on the side closest to the camera? Have you tried that already and didn’t like it?

37. Brandon Woods on July 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm

I run a 3.5-14X scope on my Grendel build. Use it to hunt, shoot paper for groups, and it’s my all purpose rifle. I get a lot of dirty looks but frankly I don’t think 3.5 up close is all that bad. Being able to have longer range capability from high magnification and just scope things while tracking/scouting is a big perk.

I could see upgrading to the Razor HD 3x-18x or something like that. Maybe a 3-15x or even some of the 1.5-10x scopes. The true 1 power/dot idea is fine and works well but I don’t think it’s as vital or necessary as people think. In 308 or 6.5 I think more magnification can make a lot of sense.

38. countryguywithcamera on July 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm

My suggestion for what it’s worth….. try comparing objective lens size.
    Like compare a 40mm vs a 50mm objective lens

39. BigAArmory on July 23, 2022 at 8:20 pm

What power magnification were you using while doing the testing with the 3×9 scope? Did you maintain the same power magnification throughout the test or did you dial it up to a higher power magnification when you went out to 50 yards or 100 yards?

40. starrychloe on July 23, 2022 at 8:22 pm

1:10 isn’t that already an invalid test because shouldn’t they have the same barrel length for the same accuracy?