Affordable AR15 Deer Rifle – Ditch that .223!

Affordable AR15 Deer Rifle – Ditch that .223!

MAC Website & PrimaryArms website link: http://www.militaryarms.org
Join Patreon and support MAC! http://www.patreon.com/militaryarms
MAC T-Shirt Store: https://ballisticink.com/collections/military-arms-channel
USCCA Carry Insurance: http://uscca.com/mac
Modern Gun School: http://www.mgs.edu

Join us on Discord: Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/ZJQ2myZ8
Join us on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/militaryarms

Challenge Targets Discount Code: MAC556 (https://www.challengetargets.com/SFNT.html)
OpticsPlanet Discount Code: MAC556

There are some great cartridges for the AR15 that vastly out perform the .223 or 5.56. Some of these include 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Ham’r, and others. In this video we talk about an affordable rifle from Primary Arms that’s less than $1k but gives you a great hunting AR15.

#AR15 #hunting #rifle

1. Bryan Titus on September 7, 2022 at 8:26 pm

While I agree it is not the best elk load capable of being loaded in the AR-15 platform, there seem to be a pretty decent number of people successfully hunting elk at moderate ranges with the 6.5 grendel. I would be quite hesitant myself, but I could see how loads like the Barnes 115 gr vor-tx would be effective. Perhaps even the 120gr fusion. Certain smaller ammo companies that do more custom loading offer a wider range of loads including 100 and 125gr accubonds, 100 and 120 gr tax, etc and they would likely all be viable. Shot placement would be VERY critical as you are really looking at impact performance far more similar to a .243 or .250 savage. Perhaps similar to a .257 Roberts downrange a bit further if you are running a longer barrel in the 6.5. And I do feel if you are going to run a 6.5 grendel for anything larger than deer, I’d suggest a barrel at least 18" long, but better yet 20-22" to get every bit of potential out of the little cartridge.

That said, if you are planning to hunt elk with an AR-15, the .450 bushmaster is obviously the best choice out to about 200-250 yards, and the .350 legend inside about 150 yards with some of the heavier constructed loads would both be better killers. The .350 legend is also on the edge of inadequacy for elk, but close range it kills similar to a .35 Remington and once you start getting into the mid-bores as such tend to get disproportionate wounding vs paper ballistics.

2. william hobbs on September 7, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Unless you want a single shot AR; you will need the barrel, bolt, and magazine if you’re intending on converting your existing 5.56 AR to Grendel.

3. TexasSportsman on September 7, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Any PSA AR loaded with .223 60gr V-MAX is more than adequate for deer.

.223 been taking out med to large deer for decades.

.223 in Texas is like apple pie.

4. Dominic Murillo on September 7, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Hello
    Trying to build my first AR-15 range/hunting rifle. Would love any tips or pro references anyone has. Or if we could get in contact, any help would be appreciated thanks!!!

5. B1ue Lobster on September 7, 2022 at 8:31 pm

7:22 – It says, "Use ode MAC" I think it means to say "Use code MAC" 🙂 By the way, It’s definitely a caliber I will be investigating for a hunting rifle. Thanks!

6. Swanny383 on September 7, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Personally I think the 300BLK pretty much has put all the other AR15 5.56 case based cals out to the pasture , Sure 6.8’s classes are probably better balistic wise but with the 300Blk its everywhere and here to stay and lets be honest not many hunters are using 5.56 case volumes to hunt past 300yrs , the options for bullet weights in a 300Blk is kind of silly at this point. from super sonic 110gn Barns to the 220+gn subs, add in all the load data out there supporting 300blk its tuff to beat for all the options out there.

7. Brian Wood on September 7, 2022 at 8:33 pm

I went with a 300 blackout. Swap the barrel and you are done if you are wanting to go cheap.

8. Brandon Wellman on September 7, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Built a 6.5 Grendel with 12.5” barrel last year for hunting. I’m actually surprised I had better accuracy than MAC has on such a small barrel with the same ammo. It did great hunting btw, small, compact, light, accurate, with great energy.

9. Rascal Matt on September 7, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Always wanted to get into Grendel. Glad i did not. I don’t want to shoot 2-3 MOA wolf ammo and that’s the only affordable Grendel ammo available. Literally. Just went to ammoseek and Hornady black was $2.45/rd. Which is INSANE. I wouldn’t even pay that much for 6.5 Creedmoor. I like shooting accurately. If i want 2-3MOA i’ll shoot my AK.

10. B B on September 7, 2022 at 8:36 pm

My buddy built a 6.5 grendel b4 it was available in the stores. It is a really nice shooting rifle. Good ballistics. The 300 blackout is a great hunting round as long as your not shooting at longer ranges. We dont have many long shots in my area. The 300 blackout is a nice size bullet and since it is moving somewhat slower, it really dumps that energy into the deer, ive seen great results. And the 223 with the 75gr hornady lead tip does pretty good as well.

11. S leigh on September 7, 2022 at 8:38 pm

You can get 83 grain 223 on optics plant so its close to the 100 grwins

12. Alan Mc on September 7, 2022 at 8:40 pm

you cannot get ammo…….

13. Relectric69 on September 7, 2022 at 8:40 pm

PSA has uppers with scope for a great deal

14. Dalton Mcneely on September 7, 2022 at 8:41 pm

A tavor x95 in 6.5 grendal is what the U.S military should be using.

15. Allison TAPN expansion2 on telegram on September 7, 2022 at 8:43 pm

*Gun store name above 🔝🔝🔝 got all this guns in store, you can hit them up fast delivery and reliable 💯💯*

16. jesse tate on September 7, 2022 at 8:43 pm

6.8spc , 110gr Hornady VMAX and done.

17. The10thManRules on September 7, 2022 at 8:45 pm

300 HAMR is what 300 Blackout super wish it was.

18. boostimalaka1 on September 7, 2022 at 8:47 pm

In New York, .223 Remington is allowed. We had an old timer from Tennessee who hunted in our deer camp late 1980’s. He used a Ruger Mini-14. One of the new hunters from NYC with his Remington 742 30-06 had a jam and that buck ran to his area. One shot from his Mini-14 dropped that buck. Thirty years later I use an AR-15 loaded with 75 grain Speer Gold Dots. I harvested deer out to 250 yards no problem. Proper shot placement, bullet passes through the vital leaving an exit.

19. Cherokee Hunting and Outdoors on September 7, 2022 at 8:48 pm

I shoot 62 grain hpbt hornady frontier, 20 inch AR palmetto upper 1:7 twist. I’ve taken several deer with my setup no problem, lung shots all deer ran about 20 yards and fell over dead. I shot 2 deer with a 6.5 Grendel lung shots at 150 yards both ran about 100 yards spraying blood with every breath and died.

I’ll just stick with my .223 set up it works for me.

Grendel is a great round though, I had ELD Black match bullets so that is what I’m gonna say the reason is why the deer ran so far, had a small entrance and exit wound.

20. Blake Griswold on September 7, 2022 at 8:48 pm

Great video thanks for the info

21. Roger Armendariz on September 7, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Grendel is one of my favorites. Just can’t find it right now. Excellent round shot 5 deer and 2 hogs with it so far. Out of a bolt gun.

22. DonCornelius on September 7, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Fellow Hoosier and thanks for the 6.5 Grendel review!

23. Curt E on September 7, 2022 at 8:50 pm

despite what Joe Biden says yes you can use an AR-15 for deer hunting.

I have taken several deer with my AR chambered 7.62×39 a couple buddies at hunt deer with a 300 blackout.

I’ve use a 10-round magazine so no I don’t lug my AR around with a 30 round mag Joe shooting at deer with kevlar vests.

I wouldn’t mind having debates with anti-gun people if they at least knew some facts and what they were talking about.

24. Yelladog78 on September 7, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Just ordered a Ruger American predator in 6.5 grendel yesterday. I’ve been running a 223 bolt gun for 🦌 and 🐺 for years without fail but kept my shots to 150 yards on deer but wanted to push that to 300

25. Kevin Rich on September 7, 2022 at 8:52 pm

6.8 SPC is my go to for medium size game. One shot one kill.

26. The Smartest Man in the World on September 7, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Larue makes a match grade 6.5 Grendel upper with an 18" barrel and it is AWESOME. Upper is 800, slap it on your lower and go to town. It’s phenomenal.

27. sukivel on September 7, 2022 at 8:54 pm

I can’t decide on 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel for predator hunting! I also need some comparisons on night shooting with the ATN X-Sight and the Sightmark Wraith…

28. william hobbs on September 7, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Also, when swapping out the barrel and bolt make sure the Grendel chamber type and bolt match. There’s type I and type II.

29. Streamylc on September 7, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Sucks 300blk got so much hesitation… and now rounds like this get such support…. hard to deny the "grift factor" here, just sayin. no offense intended.

Funny how these guys so quickly forget their bias when everything starts getting sent for free.

Meanwhile .308 is the same price as 5.56/.223 currently…. and now the ar10 is practically discontinued, comparatively…. I wish these "influencers" would recognize, as far as firearms are concerned, they are as bad as politicians.

Any update videos????
    I don’t see them.

30. Rodney a’la King on September 7, 2022 at 8:57 pm

$799, smooth shooter, prints tight groups. And BONUS: it doesn’t pop primers like a $4,000 SCAR🤣

31. Mockturtlesoup1 on September 7, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I’ve been planning on getting one of primary arms "cheaper" LPVOs(either 1-6 or 1-8), but keep putting it off as I’m not sure if I want to put it on an AR-15, or the AR-10 I’m building. The offer from MAC/Primary Arms with the free scope mount may just push me over the edge. My only concern is that I don’t think I want the base mount, but instead one of the more expensive ones they offer, particularly a QD option.
    I assume there’s no way to subtract the price of the base mount, or get some sort of discount from a more expensive one right?
    Also, anybody have any experience with the lower priced($300-600 range) FFP LPVOs from Primary Arms?

32. Michael Burkard on September 7, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Here in Ohio we have to have a straight walled cartridge, I picked up a 350 legend upper for a less than $300 and harvested a deer this year at 50 yards. That is an affordable AR15 deer rifle.

33. Mark Hansen on September 7, 2022 at 9:02 pm

I went with 300 BO instead of Grendel. It was not difficult to assemble an upper myself. I like the ability to put a 130 bullet down range 2000-2100 fps which is plenty for deer sized game. If need be I can reload using 223 brass, which is a viable option if need be. Not true with Grendel. The Grendel is impressive and I like the BC of the 6.5 bullet. I have a bolt action in 260 rem. (6.5 bullet) that shoots great. The 260 rem uses 308 brass necked down.

34. Su Freidman on September 7, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Not enough shock wave with a Grendell

35. Trucker T on September 7, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Before I even watch this ( I am in a little bit ) we’ve used 300 blk for a few years now using 110 gr barns bullets. Guess S&B now has an offering as well. 7.62×39 using 154 gr sp’s, I was really shocked how accurate that stuff was from a commie round.
    6.5 grendal, I honestly wish that was more popular. I’ve not shot it but on paper it looks great.

36. Bob on September 7, 2022 at 9:07 pm

I use 250gr 450 Bushmaster 3000Ft pounds hits then like a hammer. Don’t know anyone that hunts 200 pound deer with a 223.

37. Larry Wilson on September 7, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Wish the ammunition was more available at a good price. Enjoyed the video well presented

38. ETHRON1 on September 7, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Like the Creedmoor it took a long time for this to gain traction. I remember when this came out over a decade ago…🤔

39. cordialbeastgamimg on September 7, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Which part of Indiana grew up in gary preety rough there though

40. Jason Lopez on September 7, 2022 at 9:11 pm

6.5 Grendel 👍🏽 Ya boy 👍🏽 like it for pig’s
    Drop them fast at 200 yards.
    LR-6.5 creedmore my Deer rifle.
    I can’t use the 223 rem in my state for deer 🦌 hunting..

41. winterlounge on September 7, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Something in 7.62×39 would be more affordable. Good deer.

42. S leigh on September 7, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Could always just get a BCA 6.5 grendal or 6.8 for 250$ just a upper …there heavy but if its hunting g its ok…in Maine we can use 223556 and in 77 grain they work just fine

43. Tam Midkiff on September 7, 2022 at 9:18 pm

I did a count this weekend. I have 4 AR, a CZ527 Varmint and a Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel. Seems I like it.
    I have 4k Wolf Military Classic, 1500 Prvi Partizan, 1k Federal Varmint and a few hundred boutique custom loads to cycle through.
    What a great round, especially for us older guys who can’t well handle magnum rifle calibers anymore

44. ellis2269 on September 7, 2022 at 9:20 pm

450 bushmaster rules!!! Lol

45. Jeffrey Wilson on September 7, 2022 at 9:20 pm

70 grain barns awesome, but not a long range cal.

46. Miadous on September 7, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Just came here to see what ear muffs you’re using these days since watching the ear protection of 3 different sets years ago when you started using the MSA Sordins and didn’t know how well they would hold up like the Peltors did. Never heard of the LIberators. I have two on my desk I’m trying to decide which to keep right now. The Peltor Tactical 300 vs the Walker’s Xcel.

47. Kingwiththeax on September 7, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Better yet, just shoot 7.62×39. you want cheap? 7.62mm is cheap, and it delivers the goods (terminally). Compared to 7.62×39, the 6.5 Grendel is neither mainstream, nor cheap. its not even close.

48. MR. J on September 7, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Wouldn’t use it on elk?
    I just watched a video right before this one where a young girl downed a BIG BULL ELK at 390 yards, I’d say it’s more than enough to take Elk with

49. Christopher Cloudstrider on September 7, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Well done.

50. Random Idiot on September 7, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Mom’s deer rifle is a little 7.62*39 AR I put together for her. It works, she’s killed with it. She can afford to practice a lot with it and it works fine in their area.