AK-47 Full Auto Safety Selector – SAFETY ALERT!

AK-47 Full Auto Safety Selector – SAFETY ALERT!

Guns and Stuff video link

YouTube player

Is your AK a snake in the grass, waiting to strike?

Probably not… but there is the possibility on some AK’s, when manipulated a certain way, that there could be a shot fired without ever touching the trigger.

FMO pretty much dismissed this as hogwash and hearsay, until we tried it with our own firearms in our own safe.

We just had hammer drops… a loaded chamber would have sent bullets.

Watch and learn to see if your AK might have an issue, and follow the comments below as we discuss potential fixes.

www.firemountainoutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/firemountainoutdoors

1. matthew humphrey on September 17, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Yay Aks are about to get banned

2. TheColdBore on September 17, 2022 at 8:09 pm

This can also happen if the hammer pin comes out of alignment. Except it will fire when you take it OFF safety, going down.

3. Mark Bozz on September 17, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Great info, thanks!

4. new wave on September 17, 2022 at 8:10 pm

I found out about this on accident thankfully with an airsoft gun

5. Jjsmpsn on September 17, 2022 at 8:11 pm

I’ve tried to go this on my ak.. i can’t do it.. and when I built my ak, I grownd off a bit of the back side of that hook that the safety rubs along.. mines like the right ak. Grind it enough, until the hammer doesn’t release

6. Charles Fick on September 17, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Only an idiot would keep lifting the safety

7. W Reid on September 17, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Wait what? I have an AK74 from Romania. Your saying that all I have to do is swap out the safety?

8. Jim Cook on September 17, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Great video. Thank you for the knowledge.

9. Johnny B. Goode on September 17, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Who pulls their safety lever above the ejection port? That is idiotic.

10. ЯЏSSЇДЙ ДҜS74Џ on September 17, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Buy a semi auto selector with the notch

11. AK-builder on September 17, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Most AKM variance come with a fully auto safety selector, just grind a notch in the safety selector

12. D. Goyum Shekelburg on September 17, 2022 at 8:21 pm

This is why McDonald’s coffee cups say the contents is hot. Don’t pull up on the safety in ways it wasn’t designed, and you won’t have a problem.

13. Getting Past on September 17, 2022 at 8:21 pm

fin stupid. nobody is lifting the safety over the dust cover

14. eddie3911 on September 17, 2022 at 8:22 pm

A new safety selector should be part of the US compliance parts. I have the same rifle and same issue with the selector

15. Squib308 on September 17, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Everything here is a tit

16. 187 Reese™ on September 17, 2022 at 8:24 pm

the reason for that happening is that one is a ‘ PAP ‘Design [semi auto rifle ] Modern Serbian Factory Designed and made specifically for civilian import market that’s the Zastava m92 so it came to the states as is and didn’t need to be torched cut and destroyed for import . and the other one being a Original Military Surplus ‘AP ‘ [ Automatic Rifle ] Old Yugoslavian Factory Designed military spec M70 AB2 ‘ D ‘ Marking D reference meaning [ under-folder ] AB2 in order for it to be imported to the states it needed to be torched cut and destroyed de-milled for import so it’s missing a lot of its fire control group components once u install the rest of the components that issue will go away ¯_(ツ)_/¯

17. ArmaRes on September 17, 2022 at 8:24 pm

I have 3 AK 47’s. Two of them are Russian made at Izmash and one American made from Nevada. None of my selectors can over ride my top cover. With the top cover removed and hammer back, I can pull my selector all the way up and even remove it without it effecting the trigger at all. That must be an isolated problem with certain lesser quality AKM’s.

18. Jesse Helling on September 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Dam thats mess up bro

19. Travel with Tony on September 17, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Safety ALERT!!! Should be wearing gloves so you don’t cut your hand on the sheet metal. Dang gun nuts always unsafe.

20. Rush Yahr on September 17, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for the video, I’ve heard of this problem in the past, but never knew what they were talking about

21. WCGwkf on September 17, 2022 at 8:33 pm

I have a MAK-90, it has the little extention off the back of the trigger sear. I tried manipulating the trigger and the safety in weird ways and it looks like that particular design doesn’t allow for weird stuff to happen

22. Ken M on September 17, 2022 at 8:34 pm

I know that it’s been six years since you posted this. But it’s still relevant. I just checked my maadi and there’s no way on earth to make that happen without bending or breaking something. Granted, the maadi was made on Soviet equipment. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

23. Charles Fick on September 17, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Only an idiot would keep lifting the safety

24. macsimonds1 on September 17, 2022 at 8:35 pm

The AK has been around for 60+ years and this phenomenon is being discovered now?

25. ArmaRes on September 17, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Now that I fully watched you video I see you never fitted your safety to bypass the disconnector. That’s your problem! File off the area that comes in contact with the disconnector.

26. Sheltowee on September 17, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Thats just shitty parts from century, your missing the tail on your disconnect in the middle of the trigger prongs, that’s what happens when you buy shit from century.

27. Wanda Dascole on September 17, 2022 at 8:37 pm

just bought a io inc m214 nano ak pistol,it has full auto safty.

28. Brennan Antunell on September 17, 2022 at 8:37 pm

I got real nervous at first bc this seems super scary. My saiga can over extend the safety no problem. I cocked the hammer back and lifted up the safety to see if it would fire, and it didn’t! That’s when I noticed something pretty awesome. The safety lever is ground to clear that rear hook on the trigger. You grind the center, so the right hand side, when looking down from above, looks like a backward l. Not sure if this is an aftermarket safety, or this is just how the saiga comes but I’m happy either way lol. I got really nervous for a sec but I dodged a bullet lol. Maybe literally!

29. Michael Henderson on September 17, 2022 at 8:39 pm

The dust cover when in place stops the safety from traveling far enough to release the hammer on the SAIGA AK-47.  I noticed that you did not force the safety lever past the dust cover.  That was probably because you did not want to risk damaging the safety leaver or the rifle.

30. Dee-Bee Kooper on September 17, 2022 at 8:42 pm

You’d have had a NEGLIGENT discharge…

31. eddie3911 on September 17, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Ugly rivet job Century did

32. athausand dollahs on September 17, 2022 at 8:42 pm

the safety must not in any way touch or hinder the operation of the disconnector

33. featherder on September 17, 2022 at 8:43 pm

my arsenal sgl21 dosent. the dost cover has a notch so it cant go up. also even with it off the safety can go up and its cut so that dosent happen.

34. Donald Jones on September 17, 2022 at 8:43 pm

I don’t recall about the possibility of an accidental discharge because I notched my safety lever to get rid of an trigger slap problem. One of two major issues I have/had with my AK47.

35. Bill Geiger Jr. on September 17, 2022 at 8:48 pm

It is a Century. No further comment needed…

36. Roger Brenon on September 17, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Take note also – If you rack that slide with the safety on by mistake it will knock that damn safety switch straight vertical. In 2021, The zastava ZPAP M92 will slightly move the trigger but not far enough to fire it. The trigger still slightly moves which is still a failure in my book. I would grind it to make sure no contact at all.

37. MrRoboskippy on September 17, 2022 at 8:50 pm

My top cover is flared out and doesn’t allow the safety to be rotated above it. If I remove the top cover then it will fire. Thanks for the great video.

38. SAMURAI GRAPES on September 17, 2022 at 8:50 pm

This makes no sense. Why would you raise your safety selector that high, unless your cleaning it?

39. Deerslyr81 on September 17, 2022 at 8:50 pm

I just got a century arms m70 abm and shoot it with my kids. They know gun safety and I never look away but thanks for the video. Mine will fire also. Just from watching videos it looks like it’s because it is a full auto safety. If you get a fix please post it asap.

40. Michael Smith on September 17, 2022 at 8:51 pm

This happened to me last night after I fixed the Shepard spring I was fixing to run some ammo through to see if the pins would walk out decided to get a soda put it on safe without dust cover on and boom

41. iceman5815 on September 17, 2022 at 8:51 pm

who would move that safety lever that high. stupidest video ever

42. cheitner on September 17, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Excellent video. Ty

43. Misa Markozic on September 17, 2022 at 8:54 pm

1 serbian🇷🇸ak47????

44. Daniel Laverty on September 17, 2022 at 8:54 pm

So long as people follow the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gun safety rules.. which is.. always point the muzzle in a safe direction, then at least no lives will be lost. There’s a damn good reason that’s the first 3 rules. If you can’t follow that, ingrain that into your brain and make it muscle memory, then sell your firearm or firearms.

45. Prodigysportsman on September 17, 2022 at 8:55 pm

the M70AB2 is also a "Zastava." as in, most of the parts were made at Zastava in Yugoslavia or Serbia (depending when the parts were made). In the case of the pistol, all parts (minus maybe a US G2 trigger) were made in Serbia at Zastava.

46. Brian Streufert on September 17, 2022 at 8:56 pm

This is not new information…..

47. rose ball on September 17, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for the video! Had to check my npap after this, Btw what’s the name of the song in your video intro?

48. th3 Catalyst 13 on September 17, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Thanks bringing this to my attention! I have multiple AK triggers and it seems like some have the "tit" on the back and some don’t. So be sure to check your triggers.

49. Nick Begay on September 17, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Norinco has the similar trigger setup as the Zastava and blocks the swing of the safety lever, even with the dust cover removed the trigger is motionless.

50. TEMPLE of FLESH on September 17, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Century needs to address this before someone is maimed or KILLED and the gun grabers get what they want.