Calling All Gun Collectors!!! Enfield Proof Marks

Calling All Gun Collectors!!! Enfield Proof Marks

A look at the proof marks on British Rifles as an example of what to look for when purchasing collector guns. The Enfield .303 British is a fantastic example.

1. Chris. on December 26, 2022 at 12:39 am

Sporterized military surplus rifles are a bit of a niche that hold hidden potential. I found a 1903 Rock Island that I bought for $250 that had been someones old hunting rifle. With a little bit of time and a decent amount of money. I was able to restore the gun back to original military specifications. I have a No.4 Mk1 I’m working on right now. So each time I see a good sporter, I have to at the very least, take a good look at it.

2. Arthur McBride on December 26, 2022 at 12:41 am

It’s called a Lee Enfield. Or just a "303". An Enfield is a muzzleloader.

3. Jay Dee on December 26, 2022 at 12:41 am

My father went to war with an exact riffle …. and now I own it , after ww2 Canadian soldier were allowed to keep them.

4. Rupert McNaught Davis on December 26, 2022 at 12:41 am

Thanks for those kind words on the "humble" 303."There is no modern firearm that is superior to these" made my day.Incidentally the book " The Maneaters of Tsavo " by Col Patterson only refers to the two shot by him,the vast majority were shot by an American named Remington (there`s nominative determinism for you!) It`s all in a book called "The Iron Snake".

5. Jay Dee on December 26, 2022 at 12:41 am

As a kid in the 60’s …. 29 $C for a sported 303 lee enfieild …. and today i bought a Tula SKS 1952 for 219 $C

6. LOVE AND WAR on December 26, 2022 at 12:41 am

Talking for 20 min and he didn’t say anything

7. SGT MAJ Trapp on December 26, 2022 at 12:42 am

Had a BSA identical to the Greener 5 shot mag Express sights stupid (me) sold it, was an outstanding shooter open sights. I have seen ONE not in
    .303 but for the 8x50R Austrian by BSA . In India it’s called the .315 Indian if I remember correctly and new Rifles based upon the Lee Enfield are made there in that caliber for hunting as the .303 was a military cartridge and not permitted seems India has had that type law for some time.

8. Paul Simmons on December 26, 2022 at 12:42 am

I had an Enfield once, a 303 with a 1916 date stamp. Great old rifle but I’m not a collector so it left the safe for something in a popular caliber. I used to see millions of these 303’s at gun shows 20 years ago for $125-175… the last one I saw that was in beautiful shape was marked $300 but that was 5 years ago. That market has dried up just like the Mosin market which used to sell for $79 for a rifle and a case of ammo AND all the grease you’d ever want to see! The military surplus rifles of WW I and WW II are about gone these days, sad.

My experience with the 303 British round was that it was slightly milder than the 30-06 but that was the lawyer approved current production ammo which is always weaker than it should be. Older ammo calibers are always "dumbed down" because of the "grey suits in the corner" who obsess over guys who love to use antique firearms. Hornady is about the only American ammo company that makes older caliber ammo that actually performs anywhere near the specs say it should. If you reload, you’ll achieve far better results than factory boxed ammo.

Yeah, the 303 is a grand old round to be sure. I’ve only shot modern 303 with gunpowder, never any loaded with cordite. I wouldn’t even know if anyone loads 303 British, 300H&H, or 375H&H with cordite these days and can’t think of a reason why you’d want it over current powders.
    Great video for a nice old rifle.

9. AllAmericanShooter on December 26, 2022 at 12:43 am

please help me, I found a 1942 BPN .303 Enfield with a small plan crown above it serial number P3261, I have no idea what model this is and what I should pay for it can you please help.. Thanks

10. Martin Corbitt on December 26, 2022 at 12:43 am

I bet you can t tell me how many different model’s they were!!!!!????,

11. Johan Ferreira on December 26, 2022 at 12:45 am

My BSA number 3 mark lll* 1941 has two unusual markings: under the bayonet lug there is a clear "5" stamped, the letter is about 2.5 mm to 3 mm. And on top of the chamber there is a "R124_8" the 4th letter is not visible due to scope mounting taps. The serial number is 76643, found on the right side of the chamber and the fore end of the stock. Does anyone have any idea what it could mean?

12. Will Rose on December 26, 2022 at 12:48 am

not sure about proof marks armourers’ inspection stamps after inspections. are listed scored barrels or rust damage along with other problems can be found up to Rifle No 5 MK1 – jungle carbine – look for armourers wing precis REME BAOR 1950 volume 2

13. Joshua Prince on December 26, 2022 at 12:49 am

As always your knowledge and expertise intrigues me. I just recently bought a Lee-Enfield and it’s got some markings on the side of the barrel that I am unfamiliar with and really cannot make out. Could I send you some pictures of it and maybe if you have time that is could you give me an idea of what exactly I have? And I was always hope all is well and thank you again

14. J on December 26, 2022 at 12:49 am

Overbuilt guns.

15. 07huaste on December 26, 2022 at 12:50 am

great chanal thank you

16. John-Paul Silke on December 26, 2022 at 12:51 am

All great stuff but here in Canada we have heaps of these along with SKS rifles all as cheap as chips. When I was a kid 35-40 years ago you could pick one up for $30 and even still you can find a sporterized gun in great condition for $400 or full military for another $100-200. (Absolutely worth it, but for me my cut off is five). Things have changed and now Canada’s rifle has become the SKS, either the Chinese or decommissioned Russian guns, (Chinese are often tighter and better fitted). They can be had for $250-350 but there are bulk deals such as 5 guns for $1,000 or 2,240rds plus a gun for $500-600.

17. Daniel LeClare on December 26, 2022 at 12:51 am

Factory site on the second one just missing the shroud that comes with the wood no mods just cut down the stock..

18. dalan wanbdiska on December 26, 2022 at 12:52 am

Just bought a 303 british no 1 mk3 *sporterized with monte carlo synthetic stock and drilled and tapped with 6x bushnell. It has G K I with a crown stamped and 1944 along the no1 mk3 *. Says england on top. Paid 250$. Very nice looking rifle with superb bore and bluing is excellent. Im going to spray paint the stock flat black as it is shiny black right now. Very beautiful rifle which i will keep and never sell as seeing i might not run into a 303 this good looking with such a good bore and blue. From Saskatchewan canada

19. Ethan Boyd on December 26, 2022 at 12:53 am

BSA is British SMall Arms, not sporting, easy mistake. You have two rifles here, very nice at that, but I’ll send you a proof mark legend. The unsporterized and apparently unissued one without the prolific stamping is a Canadian build under License, and the the BV(crown1) indicates a Birmingham proofing common on both barrel and receiver. The BP however indicates ‘black powder proof only for parabellum pistols’ contradicted by the Crowned NP which is a definitive nitro proof mark (smokeless powder) not cordite. Theres so much to every Einfield that I love figuring them out, and dreaming about the provenance as well. Those are absolutely fine rifles, sporting indeed. The Empire scrubbed all but the export mark you see, and an importer often stamps his own serial number (usually deeper with less patina like it appears) and this is usually a roller stamp, a tool, along with most other machining tools in short supply in wartime britain. GOOD NEWS: You don’t have a FAKE anything, the quality of the sporterized and reblued one is incredible, and there’s likely an answer to all those seemingly odd things! Idk if I can put a link in here but a legend of proof marks is available after typing three w’s, a dot, nramuseum (period) org / media / 940944 / proofmarks dot p d f Hope I helped!

20. Martin Corbitt on December 26, 2022 at 12:54 am

The cut off was used In training purposes!!!!!

21. Jim Browning on December 26, 2022 at 12:58 am

I could not care less about the background. You could film from your toilet for all I care. Its the rich content and knowledge I am after and so far that part is great. I would love to be able to run around with you a while and pick your brain about many things. Thanks for the vids. Please keep um coming!

22. Rick Marshall on December 26, 2022 at 12:58 am

What about Sussex stamp

23. Gary Piont on December 26, 2022 at 1:00 am

What nice sporter. Love the mag cut off.

24. Bill Moss on December 26, 2022 at 1:05 am

BSA = Birmingham Small Arms

25. Tbj Tbj on December 26, 2022 at 1:05 am

Yep had him and Val kilmer in it. It was one of my daughters favorite movies when she was 5 she still likes it and bought her self and I a matching set of lt. Peterson’s books from a book store in hw. When they were station there.

26. James Cole on December 26, 2022 at 1:06 am

Thanks for the info I going get my & look my has the magazine like the last one

27. Scott Buckley on December 26, 2022 at 1:06 am

👌 I’ve just learned so much info on my P14 bsa sporter it has the same proof marks you just showed there awesome video

28. slongger on December 26, 2022 at 1:07 am

My guess on the different ammo would be possibly a tracer round for low light followed by ten normal rounds if tracer was on target , for say foxholes and such.

29. Australian made on December 26, 2022 at 1:08 am

I am a 303 British die hard, for the nostalgia

30. Thomas Fraley on December 26, 2022 at 1:08 am

have a P14 need a barrel for it any help would be great , on wait list at cimmerons site

31. bsacadetmajor on December 26, 2022 at 1:08 am

Birmingham small arms .

32. John Ryan on December 26, 2022 at 1:09 am

There was an insert to convert it to 22 I think

33. Rich Weatherly on December 26, 2022 at 1:10 am

Thanks for addressing proof marks on these Lee Enfield rifles. I have 2, #4 Mark 1 rifles; one sporterized much like the blonde one you have there. The other is in original military configuration. I enjoy shooting them.

34. Nicholas Holloway on December 26, 2022 at 1:17 am

This is a Sporter-ized version, many companies have taken the bones of original Enfields and remade the platform around those barrels. I don’t have much input on this as my two are original, one made in 43 (No4Mk1) and the other in 39 (No5Mk1). All proof marks are there yet they are barely visible as they have seen service and look the part.

35. James Cole on December 26, 2022 at 1:25 am

My said England on top & 1918 under the bolt

36. Charles estep on December 26, 2022 at 1:25 am

I’ve got a 303 no4 mk1 Long Beach I really can’t tell which one I have beside the making of mk1 there is like a * symbol and it says 1942 and it’s a floating barrel and it says nitro on the barrel

37. ro eng on December 26, 2022 at 1:27 am

I often wondered who supplied the firearms for the film "ghost in the darkness". There was a really nice falling block rifle, a jeffrey i believe that i loved seeing.

38. Rick Battle on December 26, 2022 at 1:27 am

Great video on the 303. Covered a lot of bases and filled in important info. 🙂

39. Sean Juan on December 26, 2022 at 1:28 am

That appears to be an early SHTLE with a later nice fresh barrel made in Feb, 1922…

40. dalan wanbdiska on December 26, 2022 at 1:28 am

I have a older 303 now and im fixing the draws so it needs a stock. I have a extra 303 thats broken barrel so its useless but it has full bottom wood stock and it has 1 hand guard. Im going to add that stock to my hunting 303 and turn it into a mannlicher stock. Theres afew vids on youtube with mannlicher stock 303 brits.

41. Larry Reid on December 26, 2022 at 1:28 am

Those British 303 ‘s are in most households in rural Nova Scotia Canada where I live. All our grandfathers used them in the wars and tons of people I know have them hanging in they’re living rooms and still hunt with them. Great video. Thanks !!

42. James Thomas on December 26, 2022 at 1:29 am

BSA, Birmingham Small Arms. Fine firearms and motocycles. And their own measuring standards.

43. Justin Schmidt on December 26, 2022 at 1:30 am

I had a LeFever that had British proof marks. If only that gun could talk.

44. Jonathan Mays on December 26, 2022 at 1:31 am

Love the info you provide, cosmetics are secondary but I’m sure we appreciate it!

45. jakub jůza on December 26, 2022 at 1:33 am

Btw.."BSA" stands for Birmingham small arms

46. c c on December 26, 2022 at 1:33 am

Love your channel! I have a sporterized Enfield 303 british, it is missing a bolt head can I just get a bolt are they all compatible? I did buy a bolt head but the threads didn’t match.

47. Michael Kullas on December 26, 2022 at 1:33 am

Thanks. Great information.

48. missey316 on December 26, 2022 at 1:34 am

If okay to ask how much does something go for like this ?

49. Matty Allen on December 26, 2022 at 1:34 am

The sights on the 1st rifle will be set for mk6 ammo. From memory it was a 215 grain pill

50. Norman on December 26, 2022 at 1:35 am

great show thank you…I have 1914 Lee Enfield 303 with about the same markings however I’m not sure if it’s a MK3 or 4… is there perhaps a way I can determine that