Don't Buy These Bourbons

Don't Buy These Bourbons

Bourbon is a tricky game, filled with labels that can deceive. But there’s one thing on the label that you should absolutely dictate whether you buy or not. And if you don’t see this important fact on the label, don’t buy the bourbon….

Subscribe to Fred Minnick’s Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyE_GJtYr3yowks2iv1o4jg?view_as=subscriber

Become a YouTube Member: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyE_GJtYr3yowks2iv1o4jg/join

Some products tasted on this show may have been provided to Fred Minnick at no cost to him. But that does not impact the honesty of the review. Fred’s lowest scores came from whiskey samples.

Glencairn provides glassware The Fred Minnick Show: https://www.glencairnwhiskyglass.com/

OFFICIAL THEME SONG
The Fred Minnick Show intro features Moon Tooth’s “Awe At All Angles”, available now on Pure Noise Record. Listen to the full song at https://fanlink.to/aweatallangles.

htps://www.instagram.com/fredminnick/

Buy Fred’s Books

All Podcasts

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-
Please watch: “The Truth About Bourbon Heritage Month”

YouTube player

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-

1. basemandog on September 25, 2022 at 8:23 pm

How about government stay out of it

2. jeff mill on September 25, 2022 at 8:24 pm

total wine is full of sketchy names created to deceive …maybe on the back in small print there is an obscure disclosure…the front is wild artwork to make the buyer feel like they are cool.

3. JH on September 25, 2022 at 8:29 pm

I just bought a bottle of Virgil Kaine Robber Baron Rye and noticed there is no state of distillation. Having just watched this video, that’s either coincidental, or this is really common.

4. Greg C on September 25, 2022 at 8:35 pm

so what if it’s mgp. I’ve had better products than non sourced products. to each his own though…… wait that’s not pc…..to each him/he/his/she/her/hers/they/them/theirs/tomato…. who’s not offended, lol.

5. M D Campbell on September 25, 2022 at 8:37 pm

MGP makes some very good whiskies, especially ryes, there’s no reason to hide it unless you’re buying the ultra cheap low grade stuff.

6. Yehoshua Nathaniel on September 25, 2022 at 8:38 pm

I purchased a bottle from Bull Run 13 year, which says produced and bottled by Bull Run Distilling company. 🤔
    It taste amazing to me , but your video has me wondering now.

7. justavillain on September 25, 2022 at 8:38 pm

My bottle of Jefferson’s says “ bottle for “ and has the state does that count? ( I’m new to the game here. )

8. Paul Brian Bell on September 25, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Redwood empire a no go for you Fred?

9. Darlene Wilkins on September 25, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Thanks from two Bourbon virgins. We immediately jumped up this morning to check our small collection. Of the 7 we have or have finished and saved the bottles, 3 do not have the state of distillation. Of note, we have only been purchasing bourbon that is distilled in NC but 3 now are in question! One was Scottish, but we knew that and love it, Monkey Shoulder. Thank you Fred!!

10. VertousWLF on September 25, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Templeton also obfuscates the fact that their whiskey contains flavoring. Age statements are in huge letters on the bottles but they aren’t labeled “straight,” as they contain ~2% flavoring.

11. Dan Marcell on September 25, 2022 at 8:42 pm

I’ll only buy Bourbon distilled and aged and bottled in Kentucky while owned by a US company

12. Kyle on September 25, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Traverse City Whiskey Co. does not like this video hahahahah

13. Hotlog on September 25, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I heard about a company called "Kansas Clean Distilled" who distills their bourbon five times before bottling. That doesn’t seem right and I’d say stay away!

14. Scotty Smith on September 25, 2022 at 8:47 pm

If it comes from Mars, it matters not. What matters is how good the juice is. And, how good the value is for the stuff you are paying for. Which is why I pay more for age statements and source information. This does not mean I wouldn’t buy a NDP of mystery origin. It host means I would pay less. Word to the wise.

15. Douglas Lee on September 25, 2022 at 8:47 pm

KY gets zero dollars from me.

16. Moo Butt on September 25, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Doesn’t matter what state it’s from… If it tastes good……….

17. Lee Hanyo on September 25, 2022 at 8:48 pm

If it tastes good (to me), I buy it. Don’t care if it came from MGP or Mars lol

18. Dave Milner on September 25, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Boo

19. B. Sims on September 25, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Thx Fred, your reviews are "Spot On"… cheers

20. adwhite804 on September 25, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Ten high states it’s from Louisville by Barton

21. John Pickett on September 25, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Personally, I don’t like when there is no age on the label .

22. Derrick Pomranky on September 25, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Templeton rye added distilled in Indiana after the lawsuit. They have expanded their Iowa distillery also but they were kind of deceptive on Instagram when I asked when we will see distillate from the Iowa distillery hit shelves when they said "all our whiskey is from Iowa." lol

23. TC TN on September 25, 2022 at 8:56 pm

Great video!

24. ethernet on September 25, 2022 at 8:56 pm

It’s pretty easy to me….why not just have distillers affix a standardized government label like the ones we have on food for nutrition. A line that clear as day asks for state of distillation. Then penalize vendors for selling non labeled products. Wham bam…problem solved. If anyone wants to buy off-market whiskey called whatever …they are buying at their own risk and who cares

That’s my viewpoint if I was the government trying to make money.

Otherwise I say let it rip. If it tastes good…I don’t really care unless it’s affecting big labels in the way they are able to compete with mom/pop operations that sidestep regulation. Either regulate all or none.

25. MegaDawg342 on September 25, 2022 at 8:57 pm

BOONDOCKS is an example. I have a cask strength 127pr/11 year old credited to a Master Distiller. Says Aged in Kentucky on the front label. Does not say where it was distilled, or for how long it was aged in Kentucky. Coulda been 2 weeks. The label looks a bit like Bardstown Distillers intentionally. It is not bourbon,.. and is not a great whiskey.

26. Zen0nomind1 on September 25, 2022 at 8:57 pm

Nice vid… till "…vodka sux…". I began building my palate for spirits with vodka…tryed over 30 vodkas, mostly crap…all be it…but narrowed them down to 3…1) Chopin, potato vodka- a smooth sipper! 2) grey goose – has a unique buzz/drunk, very nice (though the taste is not my preference) 3) Ravo from Sweden- text book vodka (non offensive, tasteless, closest to smooth as water I have yet to find!

Hope this helps someone save some leg work…and I’d luv to hear points argued otherwise if disagreement is in accord 😘

27. RanOutaNames on September 25, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Why should I really care about state of distillation if the juice is good and I enjoy it?

28. ONE • HIT • WONDER on September 25, 2022 at 9:03 pm

just look for the KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON on the label

29. SmashEX Entertainment on September 25, 2022 at 9:03 pm

So it basically has nothing to do with quality of the content?
    As a EU resident I’m more concerned with if the product is original, or made somewhere in a Russian basement xD

30. Orange Julias on September 25, 2022 at 9:05 pm

“These” 🤔

31. Alex K on September 25, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Agree with the message. Great point. I am wondering this about the regular orange Bulleit bourbon (not rye, which is transparently Indiana). The 2021 bottling says "bottled by…" on the back, yet it’s labeled as Kentucky Straight Bourbon. If it’s their juice, why bother with the bottled verbiage? And if not, I can’t help but wonder if it’s actually MGP or Dickel. Or is it still Four Roses? Could a shell entity allow to circumvent the Kentucky origin?

32. Richard A Fuhrman on September 25, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Greetings from Jacksonville Florida USA. A Nondisclosure Agreement in violation of state or federal law is unenforceable. Don’t know why you are making an exception there.

33. Ryan Gill on September 25, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Shouldn’t the TTB be stopping these misleading labels from going out?

34. simon gilbert on September 25, 2022 at 9:10 pm

yes , good subject ,,,, here in the uk we have a lot of independent bottlers for scotch and others ,, sometimes they bring out a special edition from a ; secret ; distillery ,, or undisclosed distillery , but they say this on the bottle to add to the mystique , and charm ..of getting something rare or special,.

35. Peter Griffin on September 25, 2022 at 9:11 pm

I also try to stick with older bourbons. They taste better and less wood is used. Three hundred million White Oak barrels are used every year in the US. Thats a LOT of trees.

36. P Ross on September 25, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Thank you for this info im going to take a closer look on my collection

37. Dave Milner on September 25, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Buy what you like. Don’t be a clown

38. Abohm on September 25, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Bought a bottle of bourbon today. 2 hours later I watched this video. Mine just says bottled by and not distilled. Damn it lol. It’s Jeffersons if that means anything

39. Jordan VanderLaan on September 25, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Curious about Town Branch True Cask, it says produced by Lexington distilling co. but not distilled by. It seems like they’re trying to be deceiving.

40. kudukilla on September 25, 2022 at 9:13 pm

I wonder how it would work for a multi state blend? List all the states?

41. Mellow Minion on September 25, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Ah fireball is produced by sazera co., inc., Louisville,ky lol its damn good stuff im so confused

42. Jason Ballenger on September 25, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I’m with you on this one. Call them out!🤬

43. jason mullins on September 25, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Iv watched this video twice. I have a bottle (or more) of the Sam Houston 15. I absolutely love this stuff. Well it only says it’s distilled in Bardstown. It doesn’t say which distillery. Does that fall under the same category?

44. Kit Carson on September 25, 2022 at 9:16 pm

Why does it matter? If it tastes good, drink it!

45. Scoobtoober29 on September 25, 2022 at 9:16 pm

How about NOM equivalent. Just have a cute number.

46. Todd Pinkerton on September 25, 2022 at 9:16 pm

First time seeing you. Eh. Nice Production!

47. G13 classified on September 25, 2022 at 9:18 pm

9x out of 10, these new distilleries are garbage juice at a premium price. They’re rushing product to market so they can make money, which i get, but i’m really interested to see in a couple years when some of these newer guys start releasing their own aged product. some of it (woodinville, old elk, for example) has real potential to be great whiskey.

48. Forever Phantom on September 25, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for your knowledge and sharing. New people like me need to know this, it’s an expensive hobby and we only want the best we can get

49. Steve Sajnog on September 25, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Does Clyde Mays 13 yr LE fall under this category?

50. David Teller on September 25, 2022 at 9:22 pm

I just checked my Calumet 16 and Michters Ky. Bourbon and neither says where distilled.