Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Guide to Firearms of the Forgotten Realms

Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Guide to Firearms of the Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Map Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlknaD

BLACK POWDER and SMOKE POWDER
STANDARD CHARGE: 1 oz (28 grams)

leather Pouch: 18 charges (18 oz) Costs 20 gp

waterproof Horn: 32 charges (2 lbs) Costs 35 gp

wooden travel Keg: 80 charges (6 lbs) Costs 80 gp

wooden Keg: 240 charges (20 lb keg holds 15 lbs) Costs 250 gp

100 lb Barrel: 1600 charges (120 lb barrel holds 100 lb) Costs 1660 gp

STATS FOR POWDER WEAPONS.
Pistol 250 gp 1d10 piercing 3lb (1.4kg) R30/90 Ammunition, Loading

Dragon 250 gp 1d10 piercing 3.5lb (1.5kg) R40/80 Ammunition, Loading, Scatter

Caviler 450 gp 2d6 piercing 6lb (1.8kg) R40/90 Ammunition, Loading, club

Arquebus 500 gp 1d12 piercing 10lb (4.5kg) R30/90 Ammunition, Loading, two-handed

Blunderbuss 500 gp 2d8 piercing 10lb (4.5kg) R40/80 Ammunition, Loading, two-handed, Scatter

Musket 500 gp 1d12 piercing 10lb (4.5kg) R40/120 Ammunition, Loading, two-handed, club

Ribault 1d12 piercing Burst (spray a 10-foot-cube area within normal range with shots. Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take the weapon’s normal damage).

Cannon 600/2,400 ft 8d10 bludgeoning damage

Mortar Ballistic (60ft) R600 ft 5d10 bludgeoning damage plus 2d6 thunder damage on a failed (DC 15) Dexterity save for each creature within 20ft of impact

Bombard Ballistic (60ft) R2,400 ft 8d10 bludgeoning damage plus 2d12 thunder damage on a failed (DC 15) Dexterity save for each creature within 30ft of the impact, Seige Weapon

Become a Member:
Become a SubscribeStar Supporter:
Become a Patreon Supporter:
Buy some Tee Spring Merchandise:
Join the Discord community:

aj pickett, the mighty gluestick, dungeons and dragons, roleplaying, tabletop, 5E, 5th edition, faerun, toril, forgotten realms, Eberron, pen and paper, Dungeons and dragons lore, monsters, magic, magic items, monster ecology, greyhawk, mystara, krynn, golarion, spelljammer, planescape, homebrew, live stream, Magic the Gathering, Wizards of the Coast, WotC, Ravnica, Ravenloft, Theros, Strixhaven, Fizban, Mordenkainen, Drizzt, cosmology, planescape, spelljammer, lore, stories, outer planes, elemental, artifact, toril, faerun

1. Iron Reed on August 24, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I really think "The Wheel of Time" does a great job of explaining how a swords and sorcery story can be grown to include guns and cannons, it also makes sea battles amazing…I don’t want to fight a Dragon Turtle with a bow and cantraps!

2. puffin tuff on August 24, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I tend to play more Pathfinder than DnD these days and of course Firearms are part and parcel of Golarion, that said I think they have their place in any fantasy setting if/when they are done properly.

3. Gabriel Rodgers on August 24, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Fire arms can definitely work in fantasy same with steampunk and magi tech. One campaign I’m currently in is a water world (some crazy orc wizard flooded the entire planet though luckily steam powered ships and also floating cities exist) and well gunpowder is a thing. But you have to keep it dry obviously (though special under water ammo exists it’s just expensive) and guns jam. In the latest session the stealth team boarded a pirate ship and my character uses guns. She kept her powder in a water proof/resistant container during the swim and we slowly made it to the pirate ships powder room and used magic to soak it. During our fighting retreat my gun jammed so I had to slap it on my back and grab the musket off a dead pirate. Was an exciting and fun little moment of oh crap.

4. Cernunnos W. on August 24, 2022 at 7:39 pm

It’s incredible. Once firearms appeared on battlefields of China, it only took 40 years to reach Spain (improving incrementally during it’s spread).

5. Charles Clarke on August 24, 2022 at 7:39 pm

What about nuclear weapons?

6. omega311888 on August 24, 2022 at 7:39 pm

ok, i’m confused. you say that ed greenwood says that gunpowder doesnt work yet you later say that gunpowder weapons do work, even though the weapons need cleaning more often. so which is the truth?

7. SupaClose on August 24, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Boomstick, magic missle- Both are hurty.

8. Michael Pettersson on August 24, 2022 at 7:42 pm

I suspect that a matchlock mechanism could be replaced by a more modern one for a price. It happened for real after all.

Want skmething Sci Fi like? What about a Star Trek phaser in the form of a "wand of desintegrate"?

9. Guus Pot on August 24, 2022 at 7:43 pm

A particularly spicy stick of glue today. Unexpected, but most appreciated!

10. Grey Gubbins on August 24, 2022 at 7:44 pm

I don’t mind firearms in my fantasy truthfully; even in our own real world many people would be surprised to find just how early firearms came into existence. It was actually the Asians that began using gunpowder and made the first firearm between 900 and 1100 CE, and that wasn’t even their first expedition with gunpowder.

My issue with firearms in fantasy is how they’re designed. You’re telling me a freaking axe is gonna do the same damage as a blunderbuss? And it doesn’t ignore armor? That’s where I have my issues.

Firearms are nasty, violent, disgusting creations and if you want them in your game, it should darn well feel like that.

11. Sithari XAOS on August 24, 2022 at 7:46 pm

So I was wondering what "Gunpowder is non-functional across the entire planet" means, and turns out the god Gond straight up cast a spell that makes all gunpowder on the world unable to burn so gunpowder could never threaten the dominance of smokepowder. He occasionally allows highly devoted clerics to use gunpowder instead of smokepowder. I found this incredibly disappointing as there could be reasons to use one over the other, maybe gunpowder can make bullets travel farther and deal more damage whereas smokepowder weapons could do elemental damage like fire and cold cause of its magical properties, but instead it just feels lazy.

12. Andy Keenan on August 24, 2022 at 7:49 pm

I would think there could be some interesting gun designs without even going to the super advanced weapons, with all the magical materials and mechanics that could exist because there’s some interesting things we can do with the round diversity of various firearms nowadays and even in ancient times of firearms (usually with larger bore weapons), we could have some interesting mechanics. we could have rounds that do more damage to certain monsters by way of reacting in an explosive manner or being particularly poisonous to it, or combust and light them on fire on a localized hit or spread to the rest of them depending on the monsters anatomy or they could be a charge that has an AOE of a certain kind. I could go on but I’m wondering if anyone else has similar thoughts or something to add

13. David Ragan on August 24, 2022 at 7:50 pm

4:05 Like from Realmspace to True Space and Earth. 😁

So while some deity (Gond) has rendered original black-powder inert, in favor of grey-powder.
    I wonder how that effects more modern gun-powders which use a different or advanced recipe?

After all several mages canonically have come to Earth 20th/21th century.

Even if modern recipes are also rendered inert, I imagine a Gondsman would love to get their hands on a M1911 cartridge and magazine *Evil Fanfic Laugh* if just to swap out gunpowder with usable blessed smokepowder.🤠

You would think those kings or their generals would be savvy enough to form musketeer legions?

14. Blak Majk on August 24, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Banger, AJ! Literally & figuratively…

15. Dragon HearthX on August 24, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Honestly I think the alchemist is the best artificer to use guns. Nothing in the subclass really conflicts with firearms.

16. Melaneykk on August 24, 2022 at 7:52 pm

Human rights not your bag, ok.

17. ExeErdna on August 24, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Personally if you got warforged and artificers you got guns. Personally keep guns just before or up to WW1 setting dependant and then play with them from there. Like a Battlemaster wants to play ranged give them a revolving rifle and put a bayonet at the end of it. The bayo is basically a shortsword the rifle does heavy crossbow damage but isn’t silent. That’s another thing if they want guns they have to expect noise to be applied

18. Ultimate 905 on August 24, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Wait I thought gunpowder was inert in the forgotten realms due to some divine decree

19. christopher mills on August 24, 2022 at 7:59 pm

thing is about the firearms alot of people w ho play dnd video games want this weapon. they tend not to read the part where Oghma heavily regulates Gond’s smokepowder weapons. Thus take nwn and nwn2 for instance, would not have these weapons and would be rare anyway the farther you get from Lantan or a town that has a temple of either Gond or Oghma. e ven then though…..
    this past spelljamming or portal hopping
    least this is how I see it

20. OlRoy OhBoy on August 24, 2022 at 7:59 pm

The AJ-47 is the most finalizing firearm in D&D.

21. Sergy Casimir on August 24, 2022 at 8:00 pm

In my story guns do exist but there was a half dwarf half human as well as a half elf half human who invented a jell that was synthesized to mimic the chemical basis that wyverns used to make flames from their mouths. A wyverns fire is different from a dragons in my world dragons use magic and their fire breath is the same heat as well as thickness of cotton when it comes to the flames and the heat is automatically reaches the level of molten magma. A wyverns fire breath is the same as going to use modern day terms of flamethrower really hot but if it doesn’t hit you, you can get away and they use two different chemicals withheld in a sack that’s at the base of the throat of the dragon. When they wish to use it they squeeze the muscle surrounding the sack and when it gets the end of the mouth it combine to make fire. The half dwarf and half human he was an alchemist and the sorceress was the half-elf half human do to their research they were able to synthesize the chemicals to make a jell and that is what they use as explosive for bombs plus bullets. But in my world guns are faster but weaker in damage since they’re still fairly new, magic spells are more powerful but slower due to how you use it. The only medium between both are magical items which are a little bit more difficult to create in a large scale manufacturer.

22. The ClockTower on August 24, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Really excited for the next video! I’ve always allowed guns in my campaigns I just prefer them to be fairly uncommon, especially in any military sense.
    Maybe you’ll find a gang of dwarf/gnome/goblins who use them or a lone adventurer or maybe the guard captain of a modest sized town.

Just so players know when firearms show up shit gets real lol and relatively primitive firearms like flintlock and snap lock helps balance out the hits per turn so even if they do a lot of damage its not a million shots a second lol

Unless those goblins got really creative lol

One thing im wanting to do is make an artificer elderitch canon build. I want a huge magical sniper rifle to cast spells through lol and I think I finally got most of it figured out too x.x hopefully he goes over some magical firearms a bit in the next video <3

23. Puddingskin01 on August 24, 2022 at 8:01 pm

So, what I am understanding is that Shotgun Wizards do exist, and their inability to know the difference between right and wrong is unprecedented.

24. That80sGuy1972 on August 24, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Great coverage of firearms, my friend! I had lots of home brew rules for firearms in my campaigns because I did Manual of the Planes adventures where technology and magic had different levels in Alternate Prime Material Planes. 2nd Ed gave me a better understanding of what AD&D envisioned starting with the Arquebus. I used that to create my Wizard Tower campaign. I gave alternate prime character creation rules for the "gated in" character. Two were interesting, a Wild West style gunfighter and a Vietnam War soldier style character. Guns are fun, even in a fantasy stetting. They are handy in the hands of experts. However, once they are used enough to see through the polish, they are less handy in an AD&D fantasy setting than a magical bow, crossbow, or wand… even the high-powered AKM that can fire its entire clip in a single round or a pair of Colt 45 6-shooters that can do pretty much the same thing in the hands of a gunfighter. So, because of how guns eventually backfire, forgive the pun in that metaphor, I am quite permitting in the availability of them to my players. Never-missing Magic Missile and killer AOE Fireball/Lightning Bolt in spell or wand is far scarier than any gun. Also, I’d rather have a magical bow/crossbow that I can find ammo for almost accidentally than the super-finite ammo of a gun.
    The Wizard Tower campaign was still fun. My players were smart enough to realize their gunpowder based weapons had really finite ammo and did not waste them on showing off or shooting scrubs. I did have a Musketeer type player, but he was more of a swordsman than a guy who used his "superior model arquebus" (musket gun). His comical interpretation of a French accent was hilarious too.

25. TrenchCoat Dingo on August 24, 2022 at 8:03 pm

what are the rules on scatter?

26. manarayofhope23 on August 24, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Very girthy

27. Takeda10 on August 24, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Used to not like firearms in fantasy but when I first got into Warhammer Fantasy and saw how guns were implemented I now love the idea. Imagine a bleeding elf wizard getting cornered by a goblin and he just whips out a flint lock.
    Goblin: I’ve got you corned knife ears!
    Elf: Call a Cleric *pulls out flintlock* but now for me!

28. Daniel L on August 24, 2022 at 8:11 pm

I never liked the idea of guns in the Forgotten Realms, no matter how canon it may be. There is just something wrong, imo, with guns being used in a fantasy setting. Guns are far more effective as ranged weapons than any traditional weapon, such as a longbow. There is a reason that guns are standard in militaries across the globe. Guns are just better. Because of that, why would anybody ever use a bow when you can use a gun? Why use a catapult when you have a cannon? I’m sure others will feel otherwise, but for me, guns just don’t feel right in D&D.

29. Marc Mielke on August 24, 2022 at 8:12 pm

D&D characters must place a larger emphasis on power, having such things as dragons to kill.

30. Pheor Rungurd on August 24, 2022 at 8:12 pm

Somehow I failed to see this in my feed… oh well. I apologize for the late view, but thanks again for the videos! I have made a dwarf artificer with a hand cannon almost copied from Ian’s Forgotten Weapons episode of the Colt revolver shotgun cut down to be a massive handgun. How I plan to make it better for gameplay is that unless I am at a long rest, it cannot be reloaded unless I roll higher than 4d6, otherwise it will go Boom! I plan to add a blade to it like from the manga "Green Blood," so I am not useless in CQB, or after my 5 shots are gone.

31. cooldude134 on August 24, 2022 at 8:12 pm

great video keep up the great work!

32. Jude Wanamaker on August 24, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Hello Friend, love the stories tales and secrets from the multiverse! Can you do a video on Osterneth, the Bronze Lich? I heard mention of her in your Venca lore notes

33. DCdabest on August 24, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Thank you Master AJ. Having set my current campaign ina pseudo-1600/1700’s setting firearms are ever present and this video is super helpful.

One of the things about firearms that drove their historical adoption (in our world at least lol) was that you could carry much more ammunition with you compared to bows and crossbows. And with the invention of the bayonet you now had a weapon that was capable of functioning like a spear.

I always try to emphasise the versatility of firearms in my campaign over some (often misguided) notion that they are much deadlier than other ranged weapons (they weren’t reallly; most muskets could not penetrate plate armour, for instance).

34. Bigmike Beebee on August 24, 2022 at 8:22 pm

I absolutely hate firearms in D&D but loved this video as now I better understand how to avoid/ban them in my games, for example by removing Lantan from my version of Toril.

35. epiccthulu on August 24, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Brian McClellan’s Powder Mage trilogy is the first time I encountered a magic system based on gunpowder, in a way similar to Brandon Sanderson’s mistborn.
    There was a rivalry between Mystra and Gond that was highlighted in the Avatar series, and I can imagine Mystra smirking while her mages add magic to the black powder and sell their enchanted touch.

36. Swagtastikal on August 24, 2022 at 8:24 pm

awsome

37. Blackmoon Trade Co., LLC on August 24, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Is there a God of Boom? Never seen anything like it in any God’s portfolio.

38. Zachary Rodriguez on August 24, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Sounds expensive

39. Sands on August 24, 2022 at 8:26 pm

Space boy "BOOM", welcome to the club.

40. LordNul1 on August 24, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Your opening arguments perfectly sums up my stance on guns in D&D. I’m also of the mind that other particular settings (especially Sigil, being an interdimensional hub connected to every world) would have even less reason for that setting to not have firearms than FR.

Of course, balancing their stats so they don’t make melee and archers irrelevant is easy if you stick to muzzle loaders (they’re infamously slow to load, after all), but anything that can rapid fire might be harder to fairly balance without explicitly being magitech.

41. Daimon X on August 24, 2022 at 8:28 pm

I love the smell of black powder in the morning. Smell’s like victory. Have at Thee! [Boom!]

42. Sarah Ellwood on August 24, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Erm pretty interesting. Been running guns for a while using the Exandrian bases which is fun.

43. 4G3NT_0R4NG3 on August 24, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Small pedantic point of correction: muskets aren’t rifles, because they are by definition smoothbore. For a gun to be a rifle, it needs to have a rifled barrel.

44. Maxxor - Overworld Hero on August 24, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Wasn’t there a type of firearm called Spark-Throwers back in Spelljammer? If I remember correctly, they were pretty much the exact same thing as the guns from _Treasure Planet._

45. James Michael on August 24, 2022 at 8:33 pm

So when do we get that video on advanced firearms

46. Gerritt Wesselink on August 24, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Here’s hoping I get to play my gunslinger warforged again. Great video AJ!

47. Jacoby Ullman on August 24, 2022 at 8:36 pm

So the when compared to the Caviler the Arquebus costs more, weighs more, has less range, deals less damage on average, requires two hands to hold, and can’t be used as a club.

Mechanically why would anyone go for the Arquebus over the Caviler?

48. Glorbo Jibbins on August 24, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Muzzle loaders are a lot of fun in real life too. I don’t know what the gun laws are like over there but if you have an interest in them I would definitely say go for it.
    It’s a good time and holy cow they sound like cannons lol.

49. Juh El on August 24, 2022 at 8:37 pm

That samurai bikini armor protagonist girl looks so out of place with the well grounded practically armored almost historically accurate tanegashima wielding ashigeru.

50. kris palermo on August 24, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Off topic, .. but since we are dealing with firearms and spelljammers along with pan reality bending travels.
    Star Wars, " Return of the Jedi " .. Battle of Endor scene.
    Vader flag ship under attack and the ships bridge senor domes were token out, sadly the follow up dialog stated after the explosion they shouted " the Bridge’s Shields are Down !"
    ( .. deep sigh and prolong eye roll ..)

1990’s Star Wars technical manual with one page of printed information and page across from it a picture covering the equipment. The senor dome with an Y-wing flying by.
    Step one, we know the size of the Y-wing, so by the Y-wing picture next to the destroyer’s senor dome we can see the scale thickness of the domes support legs.
    Step two, have a rebel or space pirate team infiltrate themselves as a repair team.
    Step two, time the exit retrieval ship fly by to pick up the two teams and senor domes after its moorings are blown.
    Yes we have ran games where we Stole the Balls off of Vader’s Flag Ship.

We have had ran games playing Githyanki plane hopping stealing Star Wars imperial ships.
    Along with the illithid.
    So, .. how hard does everyone else power game their spelljammer campaigns ?

From time to time my last shop’s DM loved to through a Githyanki dreadnought spelljammer in the background with two Star Wars imperial senor domes hanging under its aft.
    New players to the shop always seem to ask, " Senor domes ? Who’s balls where those ?
    ( … cough, cough, ..) .. Vader’s.

I have yet been to a Drow underdark city without a Steak n’ Shake with a few 1960’s pink convertible Cadillac’s parked in front.
    Any of you else have weird female DMs ?