History of Military Kit & Weapons: Generations of change & Improvements 1916-1951 | with Rick Lamb

This is Part-1 of this video; the second part covers the gear from Vietnam to Mogadishu.

CSM(Ret) Rick Lamb has been collecting military uniforms and equipment his whole life. As a historian, he appreciates that history not only repeats its self; but you can see patterns of innovation. As he puts it: We always take a “Face Shot” at the start of a new conflict, because we are fighting with gear from our last war. Peacetime militaries often go back to being “spit-n-polish”, with pretty soldiers better trained & equipped for parades than combat. After the initial “face shot,” we see great innovation; necessity truly is the mother of invention.
In this video, CSM Lamb will take us through each generation of military kit, weapons, and uniforms; starting with 1916. Each table will discuss not just the changes but, more importantly, WHY the changes were made. Some are good, some are not. However, it is awesome to see the thought processes behind these decisions. There truly are great innovations when combat requires them. My favorite example of this: In a single generation, we went from Bi-planes to Jet Planes, in WWII.

What about the weapons? Yep, I love these ole rifles as much as you do. So, Rick and I are going to get together, with a couple hundred pounds of live ammo; and we are going to film many more videos with these guns. Stay tuned.

I hope you enjoy the video, and a special thanks to CSM Rick Lamb for sharing his collection and vast knowledge for us here, free, on the internet. Strength & Honor, TR.

Help support Tactical Rifleman by becoming a patron on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/TacticalRifleman

My favorite source for Night Vision, Thermal Imaging, Riflescopes and Lasers – https://www.nightvisionguys.com/

Want the same gear as Karl check out the NEW Amazon shop

For more go to http://www.tacticalrifleman.com/
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TacticalRifleman/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tactical_rifleman/?hl=en
Twitter-http://bit.ly/TACrman

1. Markus Wagner on September 17, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Are these helmet markings dangerous? white and red aren’t exactly camouflage colors. As a sniper the perfect target point, I would say.
    With the tanks, the Wehrmacht used the white star as a target point for the anti tank guns. The Germans had the same problem at the beginning of the war, at that time the Balkenkreuz was completely white and was used by the enemy as a target point. Because of this, the Balkenkreuz was changed to its familiar shape.

2. Stephen Paul McCarter on September 17, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Can we get another episode of this

3. Mike Williams on September 17, 2022 at 8:20 pm

I’m old school. Lol. I have a 1911 made in 1913 that I still carry as my every day carry sidearm.

4. DörtyWings on September 17, 2022 at 8:21 pm

I dont get why they didnt had ANY grenade pouches, as far as I now every WW2 army put them on straps, belts and in boots or very big utility pouches, why no grenade pouches? Grenades were used for at least 30 years at that time

5. Markus Wagner on September 17, 2022 at 8:24 pm

We Germans had also semi automatic weapons like the G43 and even automatic rifles like StGw 44, but we can´t produce enough, so the old k98 rifles were used until the end of war.

6. Freddy Arroyo on September 17, 2022 at 8:24 pm

32:26 garland thumb happy noises

7. relarz on September 17, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Sunoco is ALL over Detroit!

8. NomadA on September 17, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Wonderful content bro. More please!

9. John Rodriguez on September 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Command Sergeant Major Rick Lamb and Sergeant Major Karl Erickson bring Us Viewers an Awesome Possum Video on United States Military History, especially emphasis on Uniform , Equipment, and Personal Gear , that Our Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, and Coast Guard has used and STILL uses on and off the Battlespace, and it is to these Men of War that I, Prior Service USMC and US Army ( 1987-1998, with 1 Year and 4 Months in the Army National Guard ( ARNG) and US Army Reserve ( USAR) ) owe a debt of gratitude. Thank GOD ( Father, Son, Holy Spirit) for the Sergeants Major and Tactical Rifleman!!🇺🇸🦅🗽📜🗡️🛡️💣💥💪

10. CENTURION737 on September 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Growing up I heard stories of my grandmother on my dad’s side worked in the OSS

11. Billions and Billions on September 17, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Funny but that WW2 load bearing vest was probably designed around the M1 Garand. Pretty innovative for the time.

12. Paul Britton on September 17, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Great Videos, thanks for taking the time to make them, and thank you for your service.

13. Greg Klitsch on September 17, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Awesome video!
    History is one our most important teachers!

14. Michele Gasparutti on September 17, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Damn, those kicks do be looking fresh tho 😳😳😳

15. Military Arms Channel on September 17, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Outstanding content! Thank you for putting so much effort into this project!

16. tWeeb the Lerker on September 17, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Going to war with your old stuff is a plan. It is so they can use it up and then upgrade.

17. Dave on September 17, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Rick lamb is like randy minus the tash they both have a face that would make Putin think of doing and wanting to be somewhere else 🙄

18. Rage Quit Hero on September 17, 2022 at 8:35 pm

im in the Army and i much rather carry all of this stuff instead of what they give us now …. all the extra weight for no reason it had my heels bleeding like crazy during the forge in basic

19. Indylimburg on September 17, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Iron Tits: Matthew Ridgeway

20. Robert Hultz on September 17, 2022 at 8:37 pm

As to the SOG guys wearing leggings in Vietnam- which was new to me – in the infancy days of paintball (mid to late 80s ) we were all wearing surplus ‘Nam era jungle boots ( you could buy them for $19.96 from WalMart – mine had a paper inside advising me to switch my socks often lest I become a foot causality ). Ankle support was pretty poor in the rocky area we were playing in so I stole an idea from a team mate and bought a pair of 1928 leggings out of a cardboard barrel of them at the local surplus store – for $2 – and wore them over my jungle boots.

21. Daytona Sixty-Eight on September 17, 2022 at 8:39 pm

My great uncle got a lot of kills in WW1. He was apparently a really nice guy and a mommas boy.

22. Alex Barberio on September 17, 2022 at 8:42 pm

This is awesome… literally

23. Pat Mulka on September 17, 2022 at 8:43 pm

God loves you come to him and repent

24. GodCurse on September 17, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Added a grenade pouch and an m3 to my list of things I should own… lol

25. Maverick Fox on September 17, 2022 at 8:44 pm

17:52 when I heard them used the term clips i was about to say no it’s magazine but then I realize that they were talking about the M1 Garand’s ammo.

26. jc981e on September 17, 2022 at 8:45 pm

How do you coil your let down rope that way? Or what is that style of rope coil called so I can look up how to do it

27. Maverick Fox on September 17, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I think he could get an old style 🧭 from atthefront.com

28. Seymore D’uless on September 17, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I have my Fathers overseas cap. Now I know what to call it. Thanks for that.

29. Nelson Ormsby on September 17, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Contrary to this video’s assertion, plastic saw wide application in individual and unit level equipment developed for use by U.S. Army Ground Forces (“AGF”) in World War II, ranging from field mess equipment (canteen, separate canteen caps, and handle of Knife M-1926), machete grip and scabbard), container for the Carlisle Bandage, flashlights, and match box with and without compass. Plastics used include Bakelite and Durez, which share the same basic chemical formula, being a phenol formaldehyde resin, composed of synthetic polymers obtained by the reaction of phenol with formaldehyde, and two plastics
    derived from the naturally occurring polymer found in wood, and capable of being extracted from wood pulp, which are typically and generically referred to as “cellulose acetate” or “ethyl cellulose”. Cellulose acetate was marketed by Tennessee Eastman Corporation, Kingsport, Tennessee under its proprietary trade name “Tenite”, while Dow Chemical, Midland, Michigan, in 1942 used its proprietary ethyl cellulose (“ETHOCEL”) to mold 10,000 plastic canteens for field evaluation and laboratory testing, later supplying this raw material to four contractors supplying the Quartermaster with a total of no fewer than 50,000 production Canteen, Plastic during World War II.

30. Russell Kastner on September 17, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Please go into more detail on how we went into Korea very under equipped and how they adapted….mainly the cold weather gear i.e. the M1951 Fishtail Parka

31. 11ccom on September 17, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Fastest M1 Garand reload: 11ccom.

32. Justa Patrolman on September 17, 2022 at 8:51 pm

All I can see of Karl is a torso and arms

33. Brian Murphy on September 17, 2022 at 8:52 pm

So glad I found this series. I am an absolutely history nerd! Particularly where warfare is concerned. I bet Rick Lamb is awesome to talk to, but I bet I may also drive him crazy because I really will never tire of talking or drooling over this stuff. I still get my M1- Garand out. It holds up. I really enjoy shooting that one. Thanks, Karl for this series, and Rick. It’s important, to me at least not just for the love of the history behind it, but the R&D that goes into all kit to constantly get better. saving this, like most of these videos so I can geek out at will. Thank you very very much!

34. Dr Evil on September 17, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Jeez those canvas webbing got HEAVY when wet.
    Mind you we also never had body armor. Your 3 mag chest web served as armor😂😂😂😂

35. Evil White Guy on September 17, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Rick lamb is a bad ass. Love when people keep the past alive. It’s the only way to have a proper future… as the past becomes "offensive" it gets pushed to the side for peoples favorite athlete and actors. As that happens You can see the population going to shit and begging for governments to do what do so many died to keep governments from doing. Millions of warrior’s fought for true individual freedom and people are begging for less freedoms and rights todays…. How retarded are they….

36. Dr Evil on September 17, 2022 at 8:54 pm

We also used the steel helmet in South Africa until the 80’s then we also changed to kevlar. I prefered the steel model though although I did not know at that time how dangerous the thing actually is. I got a US WWII field jacket from an ex vietnam vet when he served in South Africa in the "foreign battalion" which was later disbanded because of the CIA’s (and hence US goverment’s) pressure on the old S.A. goverment.

37. P 25U on September 17, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Awesome history lesson

38. Caleb Blasingame on September 17, 2022 at 8:57 pm

As a collector and reenactor, it’s so cool to see that some of the older vets actually have an interest in this stuff and are cool with it. I know when I first got into it there were a lot of old vets who thought this was just glorified dress up, which it is in a way, but it’s also about preserving the history. It was actually collect and reenacting that made me want to join the military, unfortunately I slacked off and never got myself physically fit enough and I suffered some football injuries, but I still have huge respect for those who do serve and now I’m going to college for history education so I can teach America’s future youth about the sacrifice men and women in the military have made.

39. Dagger_FPV on September 17, 2022 at 8:57 pm

good thing your strapped

40. I'M DEPLORABLE on September 17, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Wow. Excellent, Excellent EXCELLENT lesson in uniform progression.
    As a kid, I would go with my dad to a real Army surplus store to buy a belt for his tool pouch. I remember these big wooden barrels (beer?) filled with helmets, practice grenades, bayonets, pistol belts, pouches of all kinds, boots, all kinds of stuff. They had a huge torpedo outside the front door, 6 drop tanks stacked like cord wood to the right of the door. I became an electrician like my dad so, I went there to get a pistol belt for my tool pouch. Sadly, those stores are gone now. Good memories from the 60’s and 70’s.

41. TrashPanda - on September 17, 2022 at 8:59 pm

The “plastic” used that you were trying to remember was called Bakelite

42. J_Doll_EDC on September 17, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Listening to you guys talk just makes me giddy.. man and when he talk about him cutting his grass and looking like a retard I fucking pissed my pants! I love all people and I’m even Learning disabled to a extent. But I love the fact you get two sergeant Majors together and all of a sudden what’s “PC” culture? Exactly. Fuck politically correct. We are all just shooting the shit talking gear. And that’s how it should be. You wanna get mad over words? Fine but pleases go away somewhere else.

43. 223 DMR on September 17, 2022 at 9:04 pm

My Pa was in Pattons 3rd army. Pa was staff sgt .

44. Steven Baker on September 17, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Sir, I am looking for a type of US Army holster used in the 80’s. It was leather and was worn on the weak side by MP’s. It had a flap the rotated up and could be unsnapped. Trying to find one to go with a 1911 for my cousin, thanks. My name is Steve and I would appreciate your help.

45. bkdesignr on September 17, 2022 at 9:08 pm

this is amazing, thank you!

46. GalloPazzesco on September 17, 2022 at 9:08 pm

The Ole Alpha Company CSM … Rick Lamb is a GREAT guy! Karl … we have to know a lot of the same people. Small world, even smaller circle. I enjoyed this video. Upvoted.

47. Julius Dream on September 17, 2022 at 9:11 pm

You say history repeats itself. Well just look at the colors. The old uniforms blend right into that multicam tarp in the background.

48. Anders Hoegild on September 17, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Is it normal in Amerika to show off antique uniforms and weapons, and the gun is… loaded!? In Europe that would be considered pure insanity.

49. MrRDVIII on September 17, 2022 at 9:13 pm

I have my grandfathers wwi kit and my dads wwii kit, not complete. Do have the compass and pouch

50. Jason on September 17, 2022 at 9:16 pm

I envision a couple of privates driving around. Hey, is that the Sarn’t Major over there mowing his grass? Yup. Is he wearing jump boots??? Yup.