How To Bore Sight Your Rifle

How To Bore Sight Your Rifle

Bore sighting your rifle is a simple way to establish an initial zero to get you on target faster and save you ammo at the range. And, despite what you may have heard, it doesn’t take a ton of gear or ammunition. If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to bore sight, when bore sighting is a good idea, or you just want a refresher on the process, join Jimmy for a step-by-step guide.

Connect with Vortex Optics:

1. Bosko Romanic on August 25, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Hi good vid.👍 I got me Atn x pro sight so if i zero at 100 yards 6.5 cm. Bregara b14 is rifle what distances you think i can stay flat in that cal. thing is redicle got no dots is digital. So lets say maby 2 to 3 inch poi. diference im thinkin i should be good up to 300 yards with that poi. Its gonna be for hunt purpose. What is your opinion? Any answer fom exper as you would help, tnx.

2. Lino Abad on August 25, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Perfect Easy Step

3. Justin Bilyj on August 25, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Do you think a ruger precision .338 lapua could be bore sighted?

4. M. Whitley Acton on August 25, 2022 at 7:56 pm

That eye protection is going to do your forehead a whole lot of good. Put the safety wear on!

5. Jason Rhoades on August 25, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Anyone else notice he didn’t put his glasses down? Lol

6. Howard Phillips on August 25, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Great work brother 🤙🏿🤙🏿🤙🏿

7. Vince Gordon on August 25, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Excellent

8. trey orr on August 25, 2022 at 7:59 pm

It works fine on a bolt action.Not much good for a semi auto ir pump.
    Been using thus method for 50 years.

9. Bryan Steele on August 25, 2022 at 7:59 pm

This would have been more helpful with a diagram of sorts when talking about what directions you are adjusting and why. Right now all we see you is you talking and clicking knobs.

10. James Funderburg on August 25, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Nicely done video. With larger bore rounds, I often remove the primer from a fired case. With this in the chamber, I have a well centered rear aperture sight.

11. Armen Chakmakian on August 25, 2022 at 8:00 pm

Getting ready to pop my Viper onto my Larue so this was helpful.

12. Victor Matz on August 25, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Safety glasses on your forehead only protect your forehead

13. Especialista Scopus on August 25, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Good my Friend

14. Scott Belasco on August 25, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Eye protection?

15. spdford68 on August 25, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Great video thanks. Putting a vortex on my 30-06 tomorrow and need to dial it in a hurry. This will help greatly. Thanks again

16. bansheerider619 on August 25, 2022 at 8:10 pm

What rifle are you shooting in this video?

17. michael thompson on August 25, 2022 at 8:11 pm

reenforced my technique that have used for many years,,no need for an expensive bore sighter!

18. Jesse Arroyo on August 25, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Great idea. Thanks for the lesson!

19. Bradbo3 on August 25, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Bore sighted for years….but usually start at 20 yds…but dont shoot until im at 100. Ive tried a few of the laser bore sights….some work , some are garbage. Save your ammo and bore sight when possible.

20. Chris Daehnke on August 25, 2022 at 8:19 pm

How common or/ uncommon would it be if you ram out of upward adjustment but had the reticle sighted perfect at 100 yards ?

21. Seth Turner on August 25, 2022 at 8:19 pm

Just to confirm that I understand the bore sighting process…if the barrel is pointing at the center of the target and the reticle is point top left of the target (for example). I would obviously need to adjust the reticle so that it goes downward and to the right.

To accomplish this, I would actually adjust the turrets to move the reticle upward and to the left?

Basically, opposite of what my intuition would tell me at first glance. Am I correct in this? Or do I have it backwards? Thanks!

22. BenRivered on August 25, 2022 at 8:21 pm

When finished bore sighting, am I supposed to change to dialing elevation up when shooting low & move right when shooting left? Thanks.

23. Luke G on August 25, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Eye pro doing a great job protecting the top of your head! 🙂

24. jtilldad on August 25, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Good idea to sight in by stages. 1st stages : 2-3 shots for general . 2nd stage:2-3 shots to "dial it in". Let that barrel cool down between stages to eliminate harmonic distortion of the barrel. I learned that the hard way, nothing like chasing the sight to make you feel like you suck at shooting!!!!!!

25. Bruce Smith on August 25, 2022 at 8:25 pm

I returned home after sniper school in 99 and visited with my cousin who is disabled. He put a new scope on his 30-06 but couldn’t get it dialed in. We stopped and I walked 100 meters off the road (the joys of rural life), put a beer bottle down, then used this to get him in the general area. He told me recently he has not changed anything on that rifle since and has never missed his target.

26. Jeff Tayon on August 25, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Good video and tips, thanks. (I cant help being a dad and ask if your shooting glasses are protecting your forehead 😉 )

27. West Coast on August 25, 2022 at 8:26 pm

Old guy here new to scopes. Quality information. It all makes sense

28. Griffin Holland on August 25, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Unable to even find the laser point down range I was unable to place a single round on target, but with this video I not only had my scope lined up with the bore sight I purchased, but had shots on target in minutes, thank you.

29. Andre's Smoking Hot Foods on August 25, 2022 at 8:30 pm

that was great,,,, i’ll be trying this very shortly….thanks for the info…

30. M. Lymann on August 25, 2022 at 8:31 pm

4:22, I think he meant to say the impact point is at lower-right.

31. P. H. on August 25, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Great vid

32. Toni Brown on August 25, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Somebody that knows what there talking about 😇 he covers scope adjustments, thank you. Some of you should take note or just get the hell off youtube.

33. Rooster 03 on August 25, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Can anyone explain why when I zero my optic, after a couple of shots I have to re sight the optic? It looses zero after a couple of rounds. Like 2 or 3

34. you on August 25, 2022 at 8:37 pm

So after you bore sight you adjust your scope?

35. bansheerider619 on August 25, 2022 at 8:37 pm

How do you use the reticle in your scope to determine adjustments?

36. What's Adrian Thinking on August 25, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Dammit wish I would of seen this video before.. bought my first rifle scope combo … went to the range and spent a box never hit paper then finally while looking over the scope figured out where my bullets were landing and was able to get inside 4inches before running out of my 2nd box

37. Jirya on August 25, 2022 at 8:39 pm

"You can use a bunch of toilet paper rolls"

Me: *FLASHBACK TO 2020 TOILET PAPER WARS*

38. 78ginop on August 25, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Can this been done with a pump action 30/06

39. Phucket on August 25, 2022 at 8:40 pm

All find and dandy but being paralyzed and in a wheelchair I’m not able to bend down and look down the bore of the rifle and do this procedure! What’s your suggestion?

40. Fred Wills on August 25, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Just put a vortex scope on my Weatherby 308. Still haven’t brought it to the range. Used a laser bore sight to get the scope close. The nice thing was the laser bore sight gave me a projectile computer program to calculate drop based on the ammo that I’m actually using (7.65 nato vs .308). I intend to use the gun for shorter distances, primarily on deer in the northeast (VT) so I’m working on 100 yards. The drop (and projectile height above or below) over 100+ yards in the woods is fairly insignificant on deer.

41. JDsSportsRoom on August 25, 2022 at 8:42 pm

I want to know what bags he’s using in the video please? Thank u!

42. Chris Hunnicutt on August 25, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Hey, you have safety glasses, but they’re not going to help you if you don’t slide them down to protect your eyes. Just saying from personal experience.

43. Travis Rubright on August 25, 2022 at 8:43 pm

I’ve been doing this for over 25 years. Learned it from the old man who’s been doing it for over 50 years. It’s always fun to show people how to do it and their amazement to how it works. I usually have people sighted in within 3 shots.

44. WarDawg T on August 25, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Safety glasses are really effective on top of the head. 👎🏼😅😅

45. Jeremy on August 25, 2022 at 8:44 pm

46. West Family West on August 25, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Bought my first vortex Diamondback for my 270. This video was informative and a great help.

47. Tom Hargens on August 25, 2022 at 8:48 pm

I enjoyed the video. When you adjusted the scope after the first shot, did you move the reticle to the point of impact?

48. Dave Wolosik on August 25, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Appreciate you showing the view thru the barrel. Would have been helpful to show you the crosshair view before starting adjustments

49. creedmoor on August 25, 2022 at 8:52 pm

You mean, the reticle is pointing lower RIGHT corner of the steel, and you will have to move it up and to the left 4:18
    This is a good method, been using it for years. Just a tip: if both, your bore and your reticle are pointing to the ceter of the target, first shot will always be low, like it is in your video.

50. John Caldwell on August 25, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Video was very helpful but I would like to see a video bore sighting an AR 15.