How to carry a gun while hiking in California

How to carry a gun while hiking in California

I was hiking with my dog in the middle of nowhere and made sure I could bring a rifle and handgun along with me for personal protection. I thought I should post this video blog entry for you to explain how you can carry a gun while hiking alone in California.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/gunguytv

Check out training at Practical Defense Systems: http://pdsclasses.com/

Watch GunGuyTV on DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/gunguytv

Visit our sponsers:
– The P2K Range
– The Rainbow Range
– OpticsPlanet Use code “GunGuy5” for 5% off your entire OpticsPlanet order

Join Second Call Defense: https://www.secondcall-defense.com/enroll/?affiliate=20796

Join Gun Owners of America: https://donate.gunowners.org/join/
Join Gun Owners of California: https://www.gunownersca.com/membership/
Join the California Rifle & Pistol Association: https://californiariflepistol.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/californiariflepistol/membershipJoin.jsp

Watch more videos with the Gun Guy at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE_cilUcL18p6st9gcJFb8g

Credits:
Host: Joel Persinger – The GunGuy
Co-Founder & CEO of Practical Defense Systems
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor

Video & Audio Production: Nick Persinger – The Camera Guy

About comments: Positive and negative comments are welcome. Please feel free. That said, I believe in being respectful of others, so “trolling” comments and comments that contain profanity or sexually explicit material will be deleted.

1. The TropicalGardenGuy on December 25, 2022 at 12:36 am

Wow in Stanislaus county you can get a ccw very easy

2. Mike Yap on December 25, 2022 at 12:39 am

Can you carry a rifle while riding a motorcycle solo on secluded backroads?

3. Nxlckin DumBz on December 25, 2022 at 12:42 am

I’m from California. Just tell them you’re going to rob someone and they’ll let you carry your guns.

4. michael hill on December 25, 2022 at 12:43 am

California is stupid the politicians are crazy and tyrants

5. RatedM123 on December 25, 2022 at 12:45 am

Could you please do an updated video sense laws change all the time?

6. Freddy W on December 25, 2022 at 12:46 am

I would worry more about law enforcement finding a reason to put me in a cage

7. TrilosonicResolutions on December 25, 2022 at 12:46 am

So all you have to say about this topic is get permits for everything. What a useless video.

8. Freddy W on December 25, 2022 at 12:48 am

You are so special to have a concealed carry license

9. Boost by the Pound on December 25, 2022 at 12:48 am

you have a voice for radio

10. ryetim32 on December 25, 2022 at 12:49 am

This is ridiculous. He says he has a conceal carry permit. 99.99999999% of Californians can’t get a conceal carry permit and have NO 2nd amendment rights. Sp you can’t conceal carry and you can’t open carry. How do you exercise your 2nd amendment right to "BEAR" arms?

11. Mean Gene Okerlund on December 25, 2022 at 12:49 am

California legal aka constitutional encroachment

12. Adventure Travels on December 25, 2022 at 12:50 am

why does this fool need an assault rifle to go hiking hahahaha i love guns and hiking but theres people who hike the pct 2,650 miles alone as well as hitchiking and they are fine. he does not need that to go for a walk with his dog lmaoooo

13. Matthew Manzano on December 25, 2022 at 12:50 am

What should I expect or prepare for in regards to getting a concealed carry permit in the state of CA? I’m active duty in the USMC and will be getting out and going back to the west pretty soon, I plan on acquiring one, does a military background help at all?

14. myrandomlife on December 25, 2022 at 12:52 am

Ridiculous that you have to do all that to hike with a gun.

15. Miss Chris on December 25, 2022 at 12:52 am

Great info! Thanks!!

16. Michael Linz on December 25, 2022 at 12:53 am

Can I open carry a pistol while hunting with a rifle? Thank you great video

17. Lou B on December 25, 2022 at 12:53 am

Dude California sucks! Normal citizen’s can’t even protect themselves when camping! Concealed carry license in California is impossible to get! I’m moving!

18. Maila Loomy on December 25, 2022 at 12:53 am

Thousands of lifetime projects with Woodprix plans.

19. Joco Loco on December 25, 2022 at 12:54 am

Good gawd! Commiefornia!😂

20. Moe pow on December 25, 2022 at 12:54 am

I go fishing for native trout in some of the remotest creeks and steams in Northern CA. I always come upon partially eaten animals, deer, rabbits, etc & live bear….and I have always carried a side arm for protection. I would be stupid not too!!! When traveling to and from I follow the rules for transporting a firearm.

21. CB1942EO on December 25, 2022 at 12:57 am

I left ca at age 18. Grew up in San diego. Shot at P2k range alot with my dad. But i have no regrets. I open carry. Own what i want. I want to go to the woods. I can carry my AR no issues.

22. Jason Charles Reichenbach, Esq. on December 25, 2022 at 12:57 am

How does an average citizen, who has no law enforcement background, visiting California from another state, legally carry a rifle or pistol on a hiking or camping trip in California? That would be a great video.

23. Frank Koller on December 25, 2022 at 12:57 am

IT’S INSURRECTION!
    Plain and simple.

Here’s the proof!
    Have a look for yourself.
    Pay extra-close attention too,
    (1) & (2).

THE INSURRECTION ACT:
    USC 10 §333 Interference with State and Federal law

The President, by using the militia or the armed forces, or both, or by any other means, shall take such measures as he considers necessary to suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy, if it—

(1) so hinders the execution of the laws of that State, and of the United States within the State, that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law, and the constituted authorities of that State are unable, fail, or refuse to protect that right, privilege, or immunity, or to give that protection; or

(2) opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.

In any situation covered by clause (1), the State shall be considered to have denied the equal protection of the laws secured by the Constitution.

👍🇺🇸

24. Eddie Padilla on December 25, 2022 at 12:58 am

But I would assume you would have to carry lead free bullets.. Right????

25. Levi Williams on December 25, 2022 at 12:58 am

In California, you can hunt jack rabbits all year long without a tag. Say you are hunting jack rabbits and make sure you have your hunting licence.

26. TommyfromtheArmy on December 25, 2022 at 12:59 am

thank god for the new Riverside County Sheriff that normal citizens can get a CCW without having to have a security business or something, and fyi anyone (Non Felon) can carry in a national forest for protection.

27. M R on December 25, 2022 at 1:00 am

If you run into people coming from south of the border you don’t want your gun being California legal, there’s is definitely fighting guns.

28. R S on December 25, 2022 at 1:01 am

What if I am just going hiking in the Sierra Nevadas? I want to carry.

29. Phillip Crandall on December 25, 2022 at 1:02 am

I dont know how California gets away with those rediculous firearm laws. As a grown man and law abiding citizen you should not have to ask mommy and daddy for permission to carry a rifle or handgun out in the middle of the desert where you are.

30. Vic Lagina on December 25, 2022 at 1:02 am

You are the strange person wandering the desert

31. Joshua C on December 25, 2022 at 1:02 am

So many awkward laws and circumstances to keep up with…

32. I love America on December 25, 2022 at 1:03 am

Don’t go out your door with any weapons in California Gavin useless will get you for it. Only gang member have rights in comifornia.

33. Colt10mm Security on December 25, 2022 at 1:05 am

GunGuy, could you do an update to this video because I think some laws changed in Cali since this was produced. Maybe give some more tips on some of the best ways to do it while hiking or camping. Thanks.

34. The High Value Cat on December 25, 2022 at 1:05 am

It’s been a few years so hopefully this is still legal . I’ll do my research ofcourse. But I’m 23 and I wanna go out and claim a stake for the mineral rights . But in order to do that I have to actually have to make a discovery . Which I’ll be in these remote areas most likely alone . Plenty of cougers and sketchy people up here in the desert , I’d like to be able to carry my M1A rifle . Which is totally Cali legal .

35. myrandomlife on December 25, 2022 at 1:06 am

Ridiculous that you have to do all that to hike with a gun.

36. Garcia1689 on December 25, 2022 at 1:07 am

Am I allowed to open carry a firearm on a hike or can I just carry it in a sling bag? Thanks

37. GunGuyTV on December 25, 2022 at 1:08 am

38. Steve InCC on December 25, 2022 at 1:09 am

I guess if you’re one of the "anointed few" it’s not so bad in CA. For the rest of us "peon citizens" it’s a failed state.

39. Curtis Napier on December 25, 2022 at 1:11 am

You will be the only one obeying the law and will only have ten rounds

40. raysmusic49 on December 25, 2022 at 1:17 am

Hunting license required to carry a rifle in the wildness….

41. Lithium on December 25, 2022 at 1:21 am

Leave california

42. J Fowler on December 25, 2022 at 1:23 am

Great content and in general….I like your stuff. However, in this case the wind deafens out the content. Don’t know what you said in the first few minutes…..I’m sure it was valuable. But…..unintelligable.

43. DerWaidmann on December 25, 2022 at 1:23 am

Living in Idaho here, hiked through a populated area in the mountains with the 12 gauge I bought on my 18th birthday, and my 9mm.
    No one batted a single eye.
    No permit, didn’t have to tell anyone. I don’t consider myself grateful to live with these gun laws, but I do consider myself lucky.

44. john barker on December 25, 2022 at 1:27 am

Wow I’m glad I don’t live in CA, you say you have to check with law enforcement just to walk with a rifle in the middle of nowhere, and you make that sound normal

45. Not For Sale on December 25, 2022 at 1:27 am

Lucky you GGTV

46. YoSoyInfinitus on December 25, 2022 at 1:28 am

Sks for the desert and a pineapple.

47. stuart menzies on December 25, 2022 at 1:32 am

you spend over 90 mins repeating your alone out there…you not really not given much info…thumbs down!

48. awesome at random on December 25, 2022 at 1:34 am

I got a mini 14 and I am just so annoyed with california. I would like to bring a firearm especially when backpacking in specific areas of course.

49. De Mo on December 25, 2022 at 1:34 am

2nd amendment is my permit.

50. electropentatonic on December 25, 2022 at 1:34 am

California is unreal. Why in the world would you ever feel it necessary to give a reason for carrying a rifle in the wilderness.