How to level your rifle scope

How to level your rifle scope

If looking for more info than on the channel or making suggestions, consider becoming a 4AW Club Member, be part of our team……

Club Member support link.
1 year 4AW Club Member Subscription

Magnum Club Member link
1 year 4AW Club Magnum Member Subscription

setting parallax video https://youtu.be/NRfWpuFTeqI

MarkandSam Afterwork contact email…info@4aw.com.au

Our Paypal email: marksworkshop@westnet.com.au

Looking for one of our videos, check the new index section on our website: https://4aw.com.au

if your looking for our Adjustable Bag bases go to this BASES link
4AW Adjustable Bag BASES

and if you looking for our Muzzle brakes, go to this link
Muzzle Brakes

Channel Rules:
Here on 4AW we try to answer/acknowledge/thank all the comments, thank you.
That said, not all are equal, Supporters (financial) and Customers get preferential treatment, go figure!

Supporters/Customers: we try to answer all questions that are applicable to videos and will even offer links to help answer questions if appropriate to the channel
We would still ask you do as much searching on the channel as you can as our time is limited.

If you are a customer that uses a different name then let us know so we can make sure your comments are treated appropriately.

Other Commenters: once again we try to answer all questions that are applicable to videos, but we do not offer extra info or links.
If questions are not related to the video, your comment may not be answered or may be removed.
We would ask you do as much searching on the channel as you can as our time is limited.
Any rude or inappropriate comments will be removed or banned

If you have been banned (your comments don’t slow up) and you feel unfairly, email us and we will review, Cheers

1. windrider65 on January 23, 2023 at 1:20 am

Thank you for sharing this great information.
    Take care of yourself and your.

2. Daniel on January 23, 2023 at 1:23 am

Great video as always keepem coming brother!!!!

3. Mike Navy on January 23, 2023 at 1:25 am

Do you lap your rings?

4. Armasafondo on January 23, 2023 at 1:26 am

Es una herramienta indispensable el nivel para ajustar tu mira. Is a great tool a level to adjust your scope. thanks for Share!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

5. Kut Kut on January 23, 2023 at 1:26 am

πŸ‘πŸ’―

6. Ken Trumm on January 23, 2023 at 1:27 am

Mark, do you ever verify scope level using the tall target test? Bryan Litz has a good video with reasoning on this. Great video Mark.

7. Pazazi Morano on January 23, 2023 at 1:28 am

What are your thoughts on angle indicators and do you use them ?

8. Col. Cotton Hill on January 23, 2023 at 1:29 am

"LOOK AT THE DAMN BUBBLE" -my father yelling at me while we would be at work land surveying. I had to keep the rod level using the bubble for those long laser measurements using a prism. It’s pretty cool all the geometry and stuff that translates over into this hobby. Also makes me more interested in learning more about physics!

9. PRINCE Butter of Knob on January 23, 2023 at 1:30 am

Love everyting you guys do. Incredible shots. And you show how you do it? You guys are the best of the best. Hands down.

10. billy19461 on January 23, 2023 at 1:31 am

I saw the owner of a welding shop lose an argument with a framing square. Square is always right and a level is always right. Assuming that both are in good condition and have not been abused.

11. Matthew Tracy on January 23, 2023 at 1:31 am

Levels are a really good piece of equipment both at the bench and in your gear bag. And a level scope is imperative to being accurate! Good video Mark.

12. Shane Gibb on January 23, 2023 at 1:32 am

Great video , been using the string on the bolt trick for a while now.

13. kevin klepp on January 23, 2023 at 1:34 am

Wow awesome tips I never thought about using a plumb bob thank you for the great tips on setting up the scopes

14. john venters on January 23, 2023 at 1:37 am

More usefull information. Thank you.

15. Cyclops Videos Joe W Rhea on January 23, 2023 at 1:38 am

Great. Video as always

16. Blackhorseveteran on January 23, 2023 at 1:41 am

Good video…that is ASSUMING…LOL the scope manufacturer has co-witnessed the reticle to the turret cap….and…that the base screws were drilled and tapped square to the bore axis. Lately, I dont trust, that has taken place….at least for most scopes I have experienced. I normally do the same set up, except..I shine a flashlight from the front of the scope to about 3 feet to the wall, and hang a plumb bob there. Unfortunately, I have found with various manufacturers, that the turret is not always square to the reticle…so..in the end, I always trust my eyes, and the reticle has to look good to me when I shoulder(or bench rest) the rifle.

17. Alejandro Vidal on January 23, 2023 at 1:41 am

Hi form Argentina. i use a vary similar way, after level the rifle i put a flashligth in front of the scope and use the proyection of the reticle (in the wall) to align it with the plumb bob.

18. Jeremy Hogan on January 23, 2023 at 1:43 am

I use bubble levels for archery too. You’d be surprised how much can’t you naturally induce while drawing a bow. Level almost feels unnatural.

19. TheOutdoorsman on January 23, 2023 at 1:46 am

I figure my eye relief and make pencil marks on scope where the rings sit. Then I have my marks for when I level.

20. Doug Ferrero on January 23, 2023 at 1:48 am

That’s cool, I use straight edges in that way with woodworking, never thought of it being used for gun work.

21. Pilot McBride on January 23, 2023 at 1:49 am

All good info Mark. I shoot both eyes open and have scope levels on all my scopes.I mount these levels forward. On the right for my LH rifles and on the left left for my RH rifles. When in shooting position I get vision of the level in my scope picture, in the upper LH corner when shooting my LH rifles and upper RH corner when shooting my RH rifles.. particularly good when shooting off hand.
    Cheers guys

22. Louis Capasso on January 23, 2023 at 1:49 am

Great information thanks for putting it out.

23. Aussie Steve aka Steve Callaghan on January 23, 2023 at 1:50 am

Hi Guys
    I set up my first scope the same as you Mark , I did that for my F class unit , I then using a plumb bob and level marked a set of crosshairs on the garage wall with a texta , I still use small bubble levels like yours to check the rifle is level but find the crosshairs on the wall saves a lot of messing around hanging a bob etc every time . All the best to you and Sam I hope 2021 is kind to you both Steve .

24. plane Iron on January 23, 2023 at 1:53 am

Greeeeeeat Vid

25. Slipprymongoose on January 23, 2023 at 1:54 am

Pretty good explanation

26. Tim Gruver on January 23, 2023 at 1:56 am

I have been amazed over the years at the number of people I have seen "eyeball their level" and tighten the bolts. And the number of people having no idea about the leveling of the rifle to begin with. These informative videos hopefully will help those in need? lol I’m passing you along to some people I know need this. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

27. Mik on January 23, 2023 at 1:57 am

Good info as always! I have to force myself to trust the bubble level on my scope while shooting. It always "feels" off… guess I gotta change something in my setup so I can get "level" to feel natural! Thanks.

28. Matthew Harms on January 23, 2023 at 2:00 am

I learned of a technique of using the plumb bob but instead of looking through the scope use a flashlight to shine backwards through the scope to project the reticle onto the wall along with the plumb bob shadow. You have to focus the eyepiece out to bring the reticle in focus but it works well.

29. adaboy4z on January 23, 2023 at 2:01 am

Putting a bubble level on my scope helped my accuracy. I had no idea how much I was canted when I shot.

30. billy19461 on January 23, 2023 at 2:02 am

The mechanic comes out in you when torquing them down.

31. Paul Matthews on January 23, 2023 at 2:04 am

One point to consider is the actual bubble levels, I bought a set of 3 from a well known on line retailer only to find that when placed side by side on a flat surface they all indicated different. To check the level, place it on a flat stable surface and note the bubble position, now rotate the level 180 degrees, the bubble should indicate the same, if not, file said level in the round filing cabinet on the floor!
    Thanks Mark, once again clear concise information. Keep up the good work!

32. lighturpl3 on January 23, 2023 at 2:05 am

Does it actually matter if your scope is level to the rifle? Is not what is more important is that the scope is level to gravity when taking a shot? So the scope should be leveled, most importantly, to the level on your rifle?

33. KSHDJack on January 23, 2023 at 2:06 am

Similar to your plumb method, i like to level the action with the eye piece pointed toward a known vertical reference like a wall corner, door frame or window frame. I then shine a flash light into the objective and witness the shadow of the reticle projected on the wall. I find that this is easier for me to prevent bumping the scope or rifle before tightening. Do you see any downfall with my method?

34. Michael Reed on January 23, 2023 at 2:07 am

Mounting scopes, such an asinine procedure tightening the dang ring screws down. I really like the Spuhr mounts which have the built in leveling system to them, really makes things so much easier. Mount the scope using the leveling wedge and verify your reticle with a plumb bob. Super nice. Have you ever thought of using the "send it" level Mark? Not so much for leveling your scope but for shooting. Have a great day!

35. Tim James on January 23, 2023 at 2:07 am

Good evening Mark, very good video, I am wondering if you lap your rings in? I do, I have no test results of before and after, because I put the rings on and just start lapping them. After about 30 or 40 strokes, I clean them off and look at them………99% of the time they make me sick to see how I could be torquing a very expensive scope!!

36. randy scott on January 23, 2023 at 2:10 am

Ultimately you want the vertical reticle to intersect the center of the rifle bore. Set a mirror at 12.5 yds, set your scope focus at 25 yards, loosen scope rings so scope can be rotated, look through scope into mirror and rotate scope until reticle passes through center of rifle bore. Now with gun on a good rest look through scope at a plumb line and move rifle to get plumb line parallel to vertical reticle line. Once that’s done add your clamp on bubble level accessory to the scope. When finished, scope, rifle bore and gravity are all playing nice. If you only shoot out to 300 yards or so, none of this is necessary unless you’re pretending you’re Chris Kyle or Carlos Hathcock.

37. Chris Gabbert on January 23, 2023 at 2:11 am

My learning something today is the bob line πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

38. Brett on January 23, 2023 at 2:12 am

How many inch pounds do u tighten the scope rings?

39. 2 Clicks Up on January 23, 2023 at 2:13 am

Good video. Everything explained simply and clearly. Well done. I use those sort of bubble levels; you get them with a new fridge or washing machine to level it.

40. David Handyman on January 23, 2023 at 2:15 am

An important principle when flying a plane; trust your instruments. It is far too easy to become disoriented. Even experienced pilots can be wrong. There are classic stories from World War II of planes being lost because pilots/navigators didn’t trust their instruments. Excellent job again Mark.

41. david flanagan on January 23, 2023 at 2:15 am

Hello Mark, thanks’ for some more handy information, stay well see you in the next vid.

42. Brandon Renner on January 23, 2023 at 2:18 am