H&R Huntsman ignition system upgrade

H&R Huntsman ignition system upgrade

In this video I show you an H&R Huntsman rifle that I did an ignition system upgrade on. This improvement will make this rifle much more reliable and provide the user with a 100% ignition

1. johnmcarlisle on November 23, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Jeff, I have an H&R with a SMI 50 cal barrel on it. It uses a 209 ignition and I would like to convert it to use the magnum rifle primer. Do you offer a plug for these barrels? Not sure the of the dimensions of the plug but I think it is 1/2 threads. I could pull it out and measure it. Thanks.

2. Jon Schena on November 23, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Can u contact me? I have one of these 50 cal huntsman with the problem of getting a breech plug .

3. David Harris on November 23, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Hello Jeff, I am the owner of this H&R Huntsman and I want to personally thank you for helping me out with this mod. After seeing this video with my rifle, I felt the need to comment and I hope it helps others as it it did for me. I’m passing this gun down to my grandson but wasn’t comfortable with all the ignition blow back using the original ignition system. I didn’t like it and I know my grandson wouldn’t either. Now its the perfect starter gun for a youth! After shooting it all I can say is WOW! Night a day difference. It also improved accuracy to 1 inch groups at 100 yards having a consistent ignition. So for those who own one of these or looking to purchase one, I encourage you to give Jeff’s mod a try and see for yourself. You’ll appreciate the gun more and in the field. Thanks Jeff for your help my friend!

4. Yogi Bear on November 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Hi Jeff haven’t heard anything from you lately hope you’re doing well. Got a question my muzzle loader has a 1-28 twist what’s the bullet weight range it will stabilize ? thank you. I figure your building guns and cutting wood.

5. thelocustemperor on November 23, 2022 at 10:04 pm

There’s a guy with another video for how the breech plug came from the factory prior to the 209 switch via that orange thing. There were no threads originally, they just slipped in and out, and were made for 10 perc caps. It was dangerous and still is because it misfired frequently and if it does you shouldn’t open it up in case of a hangfire, whereby opening the breech could result in it going off and the breech coming back into the shooters face…

6. 351WINCHESTER on November 23, 2022 at 10:04 pm

I had the original Huntsman that had the breach plug that was just a friction fit with a rubber o ring. No leakage at all, but ignition with cci or Remington caps was iffy due to distance from hammer face & nipple.

7. Taylor Lowery on November 23, 2022 at 10:08 pm

First view, first like, first comment! What do I win? šŸ™‚

8. thelocustemperor on November 23, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Hey Jeff, I was looking at one of these H&R’s and think about getting it, I was also looking at the Thompson Center Strike and recently discontinued rifle that has a screw off breech nut and slide in and out breech plug system of some kind… Which of the two do you think I should get?

9. Julie Witherspoon on November 23, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Hell I got mine new several years ago and it is a fantastic gun and I’ll be taking it out to get another deer tomorrow. I have got several deer with the gun.

10. Yogi Bear on November 23, 2022 at 10:23 pm

Jeff will a vortex hog hunter holed up to a muzzle loader ?

11. SgtAwesome97 on November 23, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Had a question, where would I be able to get one of those funnels you use for the muzzleloaders that have a brake on it? I have a Traditions Lightning Bolt with a removable brake, but it gets annoying having to remove it and put it back on every time I reload.

12. 1hunterblack on November 23, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Hi i got t/c impact 50 cal muzzleloader can you make that to smokeless powder thanks

13. Boomer Rumor on November 23, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Okay can you convert a huntsman 58 caliber?

14. Wayne Mayle on November 23, 2022 at 10:30 pm

old h&r don’t see them around much anymore.

15. Yogi Bear on November 23, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Jeff I wanted to wish you and your family a happy thanksgiving.

16. Brock 44 on November 23, 2022 at 10:36 pm

Thanks Hank, you just saved me from wasting money on one of those H&R .50 barrels.

17. David Taylor on November 23, 2022 at 10:37 pm

How much is the average cost to have these upgraded

18. Rob Parvin on November 23, 2022 at 10:38 pm

We do have a ton of the orange disks that are no longer made I must add they do get loose but never any problems even with the loose ones

19. Yogi Bear on November 23, 2022 at 10:39 pm

Jeff I would like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas an a safe and healthy New Year.

20. kyle taylor on November 23, 2022 at 10:42 pm

How can I contact you about making the conversion on a 58 cal huntsman?

21. Doby Pilgrim on November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Carry a nut driver? No thanks.

22. Yogi Bear on November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm

thanks. that answerd the question on my mind for quite a while. about the cva accura v2 lr.

23. Rob Parvin on November 23, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Me and my friend have numerous of these 50 cal huntsman ml rifles we have never had ignition issues the others are called a sidekick they are the 150 grain magnum guns with longer barrels

24. Josh Dwire on November 23, 2022 at 10:47 pm

I bought one of these today, how can i get it to you to do the conversion?