Isn't that Handi? – Sighting in an H&R Handi-Rifle in 270 Winchester

Isn't that Handi? – Sighting in an H&R Handi-Rifle in 270 Winchester

Initial shots and scope adjustments on a pleasant April afternoon at the range. The first time out with a recently purchased H&R Handi-Rifle chambered in 270 Winchester.

I have other 270 Winchester rifles – one of them is a family heirloom that will someday be handed off to my Son, and another one is the first rifle that I carried hunting with my Father, and the first rifle that I reloaded for. I still have the remaining rounds from that first batch of handloads nearly 40 years later!

This Handi-Rifle was purchased for as an inexpensive range gun to start using a large assortment of commercial and handloaded ammunition that has been acquired over time from friends and family.

Two different loadings were fired in the rifle during this range time, the first of which is covered in this video. Load data (as written) from load notes:

1/7/96
12 Rounds .270 Win.
110 Gr Spire HP
50 Gr. 4895
3100 FPS?
Hornady Book #2

1. LakeViewOutdoors on November 24, 2022 at 9:56 pm

.270 Win is one of my all time favorite hunting rounds. Loaded with 150 grain Nosler partitions for Elk. 👊😎🇺🇸

2. Lost in Wisconsin on November 24, 2022 at 10:09 pm

That’s not a side focus its a paralax adjustment and the scope won’t be right til you get it right, read up on it..

3. Ninrai37 on November 24, 2022 at 10:15 pm

I have quite a bit of 223 ammo. I was planning on building an AR, but the AR platform is so boring to me. I am much more partial to the AKM platform as far as modern firearms. I am however in love with cowboy action type firearms. Found a Handi rifle in 223 at a pawnshop today for $250. It just felt like the right thing to do, even though I knew nothing of the firearms. I have been seeing a lot of positive reviews, which makes me happy. Gonna go pick it up in the morning and I am gonna be a little weird and mount a Romeo msr red dot on it.

4. Bruce Janzen on November 24, 2022 at 10:17 pm

I have a Rossi single shot in .243 Winchester. I found that when using the gun resting on the forearm it was erratic. Once I quit resting the gun on the forearm it got a lot more accurate.

5. JCM45 on November 24, 2022 at 10:19 pm

Nice review of that scope and rifle. Looks like you have her dialed in.

6. ROBERT Austin on November 24, 2022 at 10:20 pm

I shoot federal ammo out of mine good results

7. James Popielarcheck on November 24, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Nice to see someone that appreciates the Handi rifle, as much as I do! Great video!

8. SHAH on November 24, 2022 at 10:25 pm

I get a 2 inch group with my .308 H&R altra hunter. I use IMR 4064 powder with 150gr Hornady FMJ and SP. I am also learning about my Handy rifle. I hope to get it to shoot a 2" group with hunting bullets at 100 yards.

9. Captain Joe's Angling Adventure's on November 24, 2022 at 10:28 pm

I have one in 444 and absolutely love the smack down it puts on the game, will be mounting a Burris 4.5×16.42 on it in about 9 days

10. ROBERT Austin on November 24, 2022 at 10:28 pm

I have the Vortex Diamondback on mine. I like the scope

11. ocean374 on November 24, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Those single shot rifle are pretty cool

12. Anthony Fairbanks on November 24, 2022 at 10:30 pm

I have one in a wood stock

13. Willie Bulletman on November 24, 2022 at 10:36 pm

I would love to have one in 300 Blackout as well plus a 300 magnum as well but the ones I find are WAY over Priced and that was at three years ago so I don’t know if I can even own one here I comeFornia

14. AirborneSoldier America on November 24, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Originally bought mine in the 444 Marlin. This is the time frame around or after Remington sadly took over H&R. Then shortly after bought the rifle I ordered the 270 Win,45-70, 308 Win and the 20 gauge barrels for it.
    For this gun the 444 Marlin and 45-70 are arm bruisers, cause its such a very light rifle for one. But for this rifle I like the 308 Win the best, then would say 270 Win would be next.
    I am just sorry I did not also buy the 35 Whelan and also the 460 S&W and or the 500 S&W barrels for this handi-rifle at the time. This is one of my favorite rifles.
    Then on mine I also went to a local gunsmith and he put on iron sights on all my barrels for me, except for the 20 gauge and 45-70, cause 45-70 was only barrel came with an iron sight on it, when I bought the extra barrels.

15. James Pollard on November 24, 2022 at 10:37 pm

I still have a Handi in 44 mag . It’s good shooter .

16. Lyle Witt on November 24, 2022 at 10:40 pm

I have 10 Handi-Rifles, plus the Bffalo Classic. 3 – 223, a 223 ultra, new never fired, a 25-06 ultra, never fired, 45-70, 22-250, 243, and just picked up a 270 yesterday. Still looking for a 30-30.

17. MCK on November 24, 2022 at 10:41 pm

love my handi-rifles 👍

18. Booze and Bullets on November 24, 2022 at 10:44 pm

270 is fun to cast for too

19. Terrell Austin on November 24, 2022 at 10:50 pm

You said that the Cabelas scope was a cheap scope it’s actually a very good scope, however even good scopes can be defective, at 50 yards you should be getting close to one hole groups if the rifle likes the ammo, when sighting scopes in usually it can be done in 2 or 3 shots, rather than guess how much to adjust there’s a way to do it in 2 shots search You Tube for scope sight in there is an instructional video showing how it’s done, my handi-rifle gets better than 1” groups at 100 yards, my 308 gets 1” groups, not sure where you heard a rubber washer helps barrel float just the opposite will occur