Long Range Savage Axis Rifle Parts and Accessories: Budget Long Range Rifle

Long Range Savage Axis Rifle Parts and Accessories: Budget Long Range Rifle

Direct links to all the parts below. We finished putting together and testing the Savage Axis long range rifle a while back. Now seems like a great time to compile a neat parts list and discuss how they all worked.

Parts and Accessories:
1. Savage Axis
2. Boyds Pro Varmint Stock: https://bit.ly/1S9aVnE
3. Pachmayr Decelerator Buttpad: https://amzn.to/2tQRxEn
4. Steel Trigger Guard: https://bit.ly/2Kx4YjS
5. Caldwell Prone Bipod: https://amzn.to/2yTXh5Q
6. Falcon M18+ MRAD SFP Scope: https://bit.ly/2Kkak5Z
7. Weaver Picatinny Rings: https://amzn.to/2tPXTE2
8. EGW 20-MOA Base: https://amzn.to/2IGVDV6
9. Kydex Sheets: https://amzn.to/2KvQtwy

This long-term Savage Axis project rifle started as the absolute base model; no fancy trigger, no scope, no hardwood stock. With a little elbow grease and inexpensive parts we ended up with a long range rifle that managed to hit a steel target at 1,450 yards in a 30-mph crosswind.

Here is the link to the entire playlist if you want to go back and see how we turned a simple deer rifle into a precision rifle in 7mm-08 Remington: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCzJy0eY5h1EGLan6OXlfbtyozMottoqb

Starting with a budget rifle, an Axis in .308 Winchester, we swapped to 7mm-08, bedded the action to a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, tuned the trigger to a crisp 3 pounds, and developed tight custom loads using 162-grain Hornady ELD-M bullets. The first scope we tried – a Simmons 44 Mag 6-24x44mm Mil-Dot scope – kinda-sorta worked, but for version 1.1 we traded up to the Falcon M18+. The Falcon worked wonderfully, getting us the elevation adjustment range we needed to connect at nearly 1,500 yards.

The next project will be based on the Savage 12FV, a much more precise and refined gun right out of the box. Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss any of the next build series!

Sponsor the Destructive Arts on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/TheSocialRegressive

Kyle Broderick, The Social Regressive

1. Paul Watterson on December 8, 2022 at 12:27 am

Very nice cheek riser!!! Did you make a video on it?

2. Matt Whitfield on December 8, 2022 at 12:30 am

I know I am late to the show, but I’ve got a savage axis in 350 legend and the stock trigger was absolutely terrible. I purchased a lighter spring kit from mcarbo and it is night and day. Well worth the 30 bucks or whatever it was.

3. Southwest Assassins on December 8, 2022 at 12:30 am

My axis is way cheaper made. This must have been a older axis, because mine has a all plastic safety and no tang

4. Appalachian American on December 8, 2022 at 12:32 am

Thanks for sharing that. Very helpful and answerd some of my concerns.

5. Random Kadrmas on December 8, 2022 at 12:32 am

What did you use for the straps on the cheek rest? I was going to make a kydex one but 3D printed an adjustable one instead.

6. John Osborn on December 8, 2022 at 12:33 am

Love the video man. So I have a 223 savage axis. I’m looking to get a new stock for it. Both for looks and maybe some more rigidity. Do you have any suggestions for affordable stocks. I’m going to look at this one as well but I’m really poking for a more tactical looking one maybe. Do you have any companies or websites you recommend for that style?

7. Aaron Bangel on December 8, 2022 at 12:35 am

You didn’t replace the barrel?

8. plane Iron on December 8, 2022 at 12:35 am

a good barrel first lol

9. Spencer on December 8, 2022 at 12:36 am

Will the trigger guard work for the Savage Axis II? The more up to date one with the accutrigger.

10. stephenacamille on December 8, 2022 at 12:36 am

Nice build. I’d be interested to see an aftermarket barrel added to see what results you’d get with that action.

11. West Desert Shooter on December 8, 2022 at 12:37 am

Always good to know what budget products get the job done! Great video man!

12. Project Sandstorm on December 8, 2022 at 12:38 am

great job, one good looking rifle!

13. Jim Silva on December 8, 2022 at 12:39 am

Where did you get the steel trigger guard from? And do they make it for different manufacturer’s? I have been looking for a steel one for my Mossberg Patriot.

14. Luke Walter on December 8, 2022 at 12:40 am

Very nice job. This has been a cool series. Keep up the awesome work!

15. Catboy12232000 on December 8, 2022 at 12:40 am

lots of good info in this series and I think it’ll really help me with my savage axis build in 22 creedmoor. I plan on getting the axis from the pawn shop where my brother works it was dropped off there with the guy saying it was broken but my brother tested it and everything worked that I need to work but I’ll see when i go look at it hopefully I can get it for 150ish or less. Then I plan on putting it in a mdt lss chassis after the rebarrel to 22 Creed to finish it off

16. Robert Coffey on December 8, 2022 at 12:44 am

Where were you able to pick up a Savage 12FV for the same price as the Savage axis?

17. Myron Riggs on December 8, 2022 at 12:45 am

Stockade gun stock makes a lovely bolt handle to replace the funky factory bolt. Really dressed up my rifle 😁

18. Derek Wiffen on December 8, 2022 at 12:48 am

Nice work on the stock it looks like rock maple, instead of laminate. A question I have is did you end up adding weight to the stock as you originally planned? How would you have gone about it if you did? I enjoyed watching the project. Have you thought of a budget 223 build? Great job appreciate the effort you go to on your channel.

19. luckywyatt on December 8, 2022 at 12:48 am

After watching the Axis series I snagged up a Axis Heavy barrel 243. Got it threaded for my suppressor. Having lots of fun with it

20. TheOkWoodsman on December 8, 2022 at 12:50 am

I’ll be positive. The crops need rain…. 😉

21. J D M Brace Yourself on December 8, 2022 at 12:51 am

Went with stainless

22. Jaffer Vazir on December 8, 2022 at 12:53 am

Trash

23. Ford Raven on December 8, 2022 at 12:53 am

👍👍👍😎

24. Derrick Huff on December 8, 2022 at 12:54 am

This series inspired me to do a similar build except in starting with a American predator in 308

25. clangerbasher on December 8, 2022 at 12:55 am

The stock looks awesome. It was the reason why I clicked on the original video.

26. Martin D. Leyva on December 8, 2022 at 12:55 am

This build is what got me hooked on your channel. I guess the main reason I liked your videos when I started watching was that they were very "technical" and hands on. I loved that YOU built the rifle, the gun smithing was done by You. When you make more videos like that, you can make people follow you and overall make people more knowledgeable. I hope you keep making gun smithing videos and hands on projects like this one.

27. David Daoust88 on December 8, 2022 at 12:56 am

I’m Beyond excited to Purchase my own savage axis ii this coming weekend. Love watching your builds man. Keep em coming. Cheers from BC Canada 🇨🇦

28. Stephen Johnson on December 8, 2022 at 12:58 am

Thank you for the videos. I’m wanting to learn to shoot longer distances and these videos really help. I have been looking at the savage axis rifles but these videos sold me on them. Now the hard part picking the caliber.

29. Lev Lev. on December 8, 2022 at 12:59 am

does the boyds stock come with a detachable higher cap mag? would it be possible to buy bottom metal or something if not?

30. Vaughn Precision on December 8, 2022 at 12:59 am

Can’t wait to see what you build man..!

31. Hit the Cleanest Griddy on December 8, 2022 at 1:00 am

Just got my .270 axis about a week ago for $250, looking to swap the scope and stock out first and then maybe a threaded barrel down the road if I want to suppress it.

32. F53802 on December 8, 2022 at 1:01 am

Another excellent video with a down to earth and achievable project.
    Like myself a lot of other really enjoy your videos.
    PS: Savage Axis, Savage FCP, Savage Scout……. I’m seeing a pattern emerging here😉

33. Eric Knieriemen on December 8, 2022 at 1:04 am

I think you went over budget! Lol!

34. Jim Guthrie on December 8, 2022 at 1:05 am

I enjoyed watching you build that rifle. I used your videos as reference for bedding my stock and doing a barrel swap on my Stevens 200 30-06. Very informative, looking forward to your next build!

35. Kenneth Holveck on December 8, 2022 at 1:08 am

The social regressive, I have the same exact rifle in 7mm-08 and I’m hoping to see you respond back because I’m really wondering what load worked the best for you, I pillar bedded and glass bedded the stock in a at-one stock and I would really like to know what load worked best thanks.

36. Christopher Floyd on December 8, 2022 at 1:08 am

What kind of bipod did you use

37. Rob Carroll on December 8, 2022 at 1:12 am

I am on Boyds and do not see a steel trigger guard for a Savage Axis. Am I missing something?

38. Miguel Peraza on December 8, 2022 at 1:14 am

You should ve gotten the axis xp-hb that accutrigger us fabulous and after breaking it in ? It Shot a 3 inch spread on a gong at 1050 yards got it for 198 bucks after rebate from Walmart.

39. ultramag05 on December 8, 2022 at 1:16 am

What is the weight of this gun as it sits?

David

40. RangerTexas90 on December 8, 2022 at 1:16 am

Could you do a review on the new Primary Arms 3-18 FFP Apollo scope when it comes out? Made for 6.5 CM with a MSRP of $499.

41. antinormality on December 8, 2022 at 1:16 am

I’m pretty stinkin’ thrilled about the upcoming project rifle! That’s going to be so awesome!
    Hey! Did I miss you mentioning the trigger mods in the Axis? Because after you and your father in law work it over it became something incredible! I’ve never felt another trigger anything like it. Your trigger is mind blowing.

42. Sweet Tea on December 8, 2022 at 1:17 am

Loved it all!!!!

43. J D M Brace Yourself on December 8, 2022 at 1:18 am

Kewl

44. Basil Staros on December 8, 2022 at 1:19 am

I am so excited for your savage 110 scout project can’t wait for that to start coming together!

45. Halfdollar 86 on December 8, 2022 at 1:21 am

Savage axis 2 heavy barrel 6.5 creedmoor is what I started my precision rifle shooting hobby with. Wish I still had it. I have that same Savage 12 you have and it’s a laser beam. It’s honestly as accurate or even more than my Tikka Tac A1, Bergara HMR, and Savage 12 LRP. I had plans to modify it to make it better but it’s shoots so outstanding that I’m afraid to touch it. I have had a few of this same rifle and all were accurate but not as accurate as this last one. Will be hanging on to it for awhile.

46. Michael Smith on December 8, 2022 at 1:21 am

Thank you for the follow up as to how the rifle turned out. This build series inspired me to start down my own path of building a rifle. I started with a Ruger American in 308. Tonight is the first time I shot it since getting the Boyd’s At-One stock mounted. Also the first time in my life to shoot beyond 50 yards. In my beginner’s hands it can hold 1 MOA groups as long as I do my job. All those years of shooting 22LR ended up teaching me some fundamentals that were helpful. Thank you for taking us along with you and thank you for inspiring me to expand my horizons a bit.

47. Jose Urbi Jr. on December 8, 2022 at 1:22 am

Hi, I’m a subscriber fr. Phil. I have a old model Savage 22lr model 6DL-N and my problem is its trigger too heavy. My question is, does the new savage accu trigger assembly compatible with this old model.? Hope to hear from you, thank you very much