Marlin Model 17-G – Loading and firing

Marlin Model 17-G – Loading and firing

I bought some 100 round box of low brass target / birdshot 1200 FPS for use in this old shotgun.

Yes, I am aware of the notice that Marlin made regarding the 1898 exposed hammer shotgun and its derivatives, and I firmly believe that was a “CYA” move to satisfy the lawyers at Marlin.

I believe these shotguns are just as noteworthy and reliable as the Winchester 1897 shotguns.

At least until I get a bolt in my eye, but still.

You can see the other 17G Slamfire video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiIz6qqjdpw

High quality picture album: https://imgur.com/a/k1kfW

1. Tim Horn on August 20, 2022 at 8:19 pm

You should do a field strip video of this old gun. It would be interesting to see how it comes apart.

2. hartstudebakerkid on August 20, 2022 at 8:19 pm

I agree with you that it was a CYA move by Marlin as to many idiots were shoving highpressure loads into thes shotguns.  I have a model 19 and I am having a heck of a time finding reloading specs for those old low pressure 2  1/2 inch shells for the same reason.  There is a website……cant remeber wher but it goes through all the steps to check to see that one of these Marlins is a shooter or a wallhanger.

3. Lawrence James on August 20, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for the video.  Just got one of these guns from my buddie.  Have totally gone through it.  Not to sure exactly what model it is. I’m thinking early model 98.  Looks ready to fire. Test come up positive as to operation.   Know about the low power 22 and a half inch  shells needed.  Wondering why it accepts three inch shells in the chamber.  Would like to shoot it then hang it on the wall.  Any info?

4. T J on August 20, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Great video, here’s a short video with my Marlin Model 24

5. Bob Smalser on August 20, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Marlin made one mistake in 1898 by putting the bolt release on their pump shotgun too close to the thumb, making the gun too easy for idiots to fire out of battery. They’ve been called "widowmakers" ever since. Supposedly an overloaded shell fired allowed the bolt to exit the rear of the receiver, striking the shooter. To accomplish that with this gun, it would have to (1) fire out of battery and the (2) forged carrier arm, the (3) recoil lock screw shaft, and the (4) forged locking bolt link would all have to break…a practical impossibility.

6. sam johnson on August 20, 2022 at 8:27 pm

What shells do you run through this? I have been having issues with mine clearing on ejection

7. Lawrence James on August 20, 2022 at 8:32 pm

correction, that’s 2 and a half inch shells

8. John Doe210 on August 20, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Interestingally one of these apeared in Boardwalk empire

9. John Doe210 on August 20, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Beautiful shotgun!

10. SampleSize on August 20, 2022 at 8:50 pm

PhoenixPhart, is there a tang marking on this shotgun and if so, is it marked a 17 or a 17G?  Just trying to see if they actually marked the ‘G’ or just the ‘S’s.  Thanks

11. Tugboat Matt on August 20, 2022 at 8:56 pm

nice! i just got a project one, its the model 17-S in good condition exept for needing a new firing pin and missing the buttstock.

12. Jake G on August 20, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Just bought one. Can you please make a video on how to field strip? I guess it’s extremely rare and I can’t find anything on it.

13. Daniel Bryan on August 20, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Get your shells from poly-wad or RST on net. They are shells that are loaded for guns of this era. They have plenty of pep but do not beat the old fellas up!! Or just get a loader and load them no hotter than 8,500 psi

14. deepwater-jew on August 20, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Believe it or not, I just aquired a sears catalog thay has this featured in it. it is dated back to 1908!

15. BHuang92 on August 20, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Is there a difference between Marlin 1898 and Winchester 1897? Both looks similar.

16. PhoenixPhart on August 20, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Very nice! I love my 17G so much. If you’re looking for parts, be sure to check out Numrich Gun Parts. I replaced my sear, but it required some fitting.

Put up a video when you get it all fixed! I’d love to see it in action! 🙂