Marlin Model 56/ Marlin Model 57

Marlin Model 56/ Marlin Model 57

Here we take a good look at some great Marlin .22s. We can learn by comparing Models 56, 57, and 57M. The Savage 99 also figures in the story. We focus the lesson on the Marlin Model 56 and the Marlin Model 57. Enjoy and thanks for watching! Don’t forget to join me on Patreon for more useful information.
Music: https://www.bensound.com

1. Donald Curfman on August 5, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Have mod 56 and model 57 m almost mint condition on both guns

2. David Chiu on August 5, 2022 at 7:54 pm

just found one
    under the JC Higgins (Sears) naming
    at a pawn shop for 250

3. whspioneer89 on August 5, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Love my 57m. Fast and short throw on lever. Can cycle the lever without having to take my thumb off the stock. Would like one in 30 carbine.

4. Tewa War Chief on August 5, 2022 at 7:57 pm

i have had one for years, and i am having some issues with feeding, any recommendations on how to fix?

5. Jeff Womack on August 5, 2022 at 7:59 pm

I have a Marlin Model 56-22 that is missing the magazine any suggestions on where I can find them? I also have a Winchester model 75 that is missing the bolt and rear sight, again any suggestions ? I bought them both from a guy selling his grandfathers inheritance . Oh yeah I love your collection and videos.

6. Dennis Mcmenemy on August 5, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Hey USOG thanks for a great video on the Marlin Levermatics. Nice to see that Marlin 56 also. I recently bought a first year 1955 Marlin 56. It has a steel reciver instead of aluminum. Also it has a 24 inch barrel and the butt stock in straight across the top. The very first ones made in 1955 had serial numbers. Mine don’t have the serial number though. I paid 400 for the rifle and it’s fun to shoot. Found me a couple 12round magazines for it also. Thank you again and I subscribed to your channel.

7. Chris Chiampo on August 5, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Nice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I Used To Have a Marlin Exactly Like The 22Magnum You Have Tube Fed Levermatic ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜€ It Was a Smooth Operator Indeed ๐Ÿ˜Ž

8. U.P. Woodtick on August 5, 2022 at 8:02 pm

I would love to have a mod 57M Marlin.

9. Marso ElFlaco on August 5, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I inherited a Model 56. It’s in fine condition but only has one magazine.
    Any ideas on where I can get magazines for it? It doesn’t matter if they are aftermarket, so long as they are reliable. ๐Ÿ‘โœŒ

10. pseudopetrus on August 5, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Thank you for these great and very interesting videos!

11. thelocustemperor on August 5, 2022 at 8:07 pm

You can also get it in 30 Carbine

12. B. Frew on August 5, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Yet another incredibly interesting video, my friend. Thank you for sharing this post. What beautiful rifles!

13. Craig P on August 5, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Leaver? Or lever? Beaverly? Or Beverly? Lol
    As far as people referring to them as Levermatic, mine says Levermatic right on it, so…

14. Bait Ammo on August 5, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Your videos never disappoint! I always learn something!

15. Davrell Tien on August 5, 2022 at 8:10 pm

I picked up a Model 56 with a steel receiver for $199.95 after watching the video. There was no magazine. Buying two cost an additional 70 dollars.

16. PRO PNOTUNER on August 5, 2022 at 8:11 pm

It appears that the receiver of the model 56 is not strong enough to carry a scope without risking cracking the receiver. I have a JC Higgins 46 and the sights are pretty good.

17. Ghostus Coyote on August 5, 2022 at 8:11 pm

If you like weird, mostly forgotten .22LR rifles, I recommend you get your hands on a Calico M-100S.
    The wood thumb hole stock, the helical magazine on top, and the muzzle brake all add to this design I just love! You will realize that the rifle was not made to work well with the wood furniture because the thumb hole is too small so you can’t reach the safety switch with your thumb and the wood hand guard up front goes over the pivot point to open the action up, so it needs to be painstakingly removed first. The regular M-100 does not have these problems but I will take aesthetic over convenience on this one.

18. George McKenzie on August 5, 2022 at 8:12 pm

My Marlin hasnโ€™t fired clip. Of shells by the way I have the 2 cops Ji bought it in 1955

19. Stephen Garner on August 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Any leads for a replacement magazine tube for a model 56 22 lr?

20. IHCman on August 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm

ANyone recommend a good gunsmith to rebarrel a marlin 57? Mine is pitted inside and rusted outside. I’m to scared to try and remove it myself as I’m afraid of cracking the aluminum reciever.

21. Wayne Mickel on August 5, 2022 at 8:15 pm

I have a 57 M but I am having ejection issues with it

22. SnoopReddogg on August 5, 2022 at 8:17 pm

I absolutely regret selling my 56.

23. in az on August 5, 2022 at 8:18 pm

USOG would you have any interest in an 1899C, with the half octagon barrel? Would be willing to donate one to the channel.

24. Patrick Cruz on August 5, 2022 at 8:19 pm

I inherited a model 56 missing the entire butt end of the stock and no magazine. I would like to fix it up. Any suggestions for a new wood stock? I havenโ€™t found any from the internet. Itโ€™s too obscure a model I think. Maybe a different stock that can be modified to fit the 56? I just hate to own a non functioning parts gun.

25. ten littleindians on August 5, 2022 at 8:19 pm

I bought a used 57M in the 60’s when I was a kid. The ammo was so expensive and hard to find in those days before a Walmart in every town that I sold it and got a regular .22 rifle. My father bought a brand new 57M a couple of years before I got mine and my uncle always had one too. My father’s was the best looking of the three; he had the monti carlo stock.

26. Joel Braswell on August 5, 2022 at 8:27 pm

I have a 57M labeled by Western Auto.

27. Reg Sparkes on August 5, 2022 at 8:29 pm

There are two Marlin models that have never heard of,…I guess this is another benefit of subscribing to USOG, isn’t it?

28. Amarjeet singh dhillon on August 5, 2022 at 8:30 pm

300bor

29. Asim Seth on August 5, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Another video on a unique firearm. USOG what would we do without you?

30. FRDM&PRSPRTY on August 5, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Love your videos, thanks for making them.

31. ratrod diesels on August 5, 2022 at 8:32 pm

lots of gun sites espouse the marlin mdl 60 , which i think is a decent product , but now that i tune into usog vintage rifles are excellent , i probably wont buy new again but do more homework on the vintage yrs.

32. Julio Cesar Rocha Dos Santos on August 5, 2022 at 8:36 pm

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‘

33. PucketyCrik on August 5, 2022 at 8:38 pm

I have a Marlin model 56 that my Dad bought for me in 1962 when I was 12 years old. My first and still favorite rifle. I am looking at a model 57 magnum tomorrow from an estate sell of a friend. I have been looking for one for many years. Cheers, John

34. Todd H on August 5, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Something about old 22s. I’ve been having a hard time finding a nice old gallery style 22, no one wants to let them go for a non-extortionate price

35. Rich McIntyre on August 5, 2022 at 8:41 pm

I own an early Model 56 that was made in either late 1955 or early 1956, I forget exactly which. Unlike the example shown here mine has a square back steel receiver. The model shown here with the curved back is made from aluminum. I’ve read that this change to aluminum receivers occurred sometime in early 1956. Even today some 60+ years later the action is incredibly smooth and the rifle is very accurate, more so I’m afraid than the operator is capable.
    Thank you for highlighting this interesting rifle.

36. Daniel Wolfram on August 5, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Was wondering how the scope is mounted? I have a 56 with the curved aluminum reciever. Thanks Dan

37. Frank Vance on August 5, 2022 at 8:43 pm

I had a Marlin model 57 back in the day. Best .22 I ever owned.

38. jwhawk357 on August 5, 2022 at 8:44 pm

I have a model 56 that I bought from a friend in the early 60’s for $35 with a scope. I told him I didn’t want the scope and he said the price was still $35. I would like to know where I can get magazines for this rifle or if there are any of the newer magazines that would be compatible? I hope you can help.

39. Aaron Wilcox on August 5, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Just found a nice once of these in 22mag. Great price as well.

40. KLR650 on August 5, 2022 at 8:47 pm

We need a good video on how to disassemble and reassemble the Savage 99 rotary magazine. Please!

41. Sonny Thompson on August 5, 2022 at 8:48 pm

GREAT,GREAT gun. I have two 57m ‘s ,had a 56 but regretfully sold like a dummy. Love my Marlins.

42. Norman Levy on August 5, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Just found one this week in great shape and bought it. Your video confirmed my instincts.

43. Trapdoor Springfield Model 1888 on August 5, 2022 at 8:52 pm

That Model 56 looks like she just came off the factory floor! The action looks smooth and I imagine that 25 degree lever throw makes her an awfully fast repeater.

In an old Boy Scout handbook from 1956 that I have there is an advertisement for Marlin .22’s. In that ad the Model 56 is listed for $48.75 while a Model 39-A sold for $60.85 (prices for both would be "slightly higher west of Rockies").

44. Ben Hogle on August 5, 2022 at 8:53 pm

I now own my late grandfather’s 57 Marlin….might love the short lever-action more than the sentimental value. (Kidding of course)