NEW FN High-Power – How does it stack up to the original?

NEW FN High-Power – How does it stack up to the original?

Modern Gun School: http://www.mgs.edu
Join Patreon and support MAC! http://www.patreon.com/militaryarms
Follow and support us on Utreon!: https://utreon.com/c/militaryarmschannel
MAC T-Shirt Store: https://ballisticink.com/collections/military-arms-channel
Check out our LINKTREE: https://linktr.ee/militaryarmschannel

Join us on Discord: Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/ZJQ2myZ8
Join us on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/militaryarms

Challenge Targets Discount Code: MAC556 (https://www.challengetargets.com/SFNT.html)
OpticsPlanet Discount Code: MAC556

FN has released a new HiPower pistol based on the original 1935 design of Browning/Dieudonné Saive’s classic work. The new FN Hi-Power has new everything. FN completely redesigned the Hi Power from the ground up. How does the new Hi Power compare to the classic original? We take a look at the new FN HiPower and compare it to some other guns available on the US market.

#FN #HiPower #9mm

1. stchman on August 21, 2022 at 8:09 pm

The original Hi Power does have the best trigger, but if you remove the magazine disconnect, the trigger is MUCH nicer.

I own the Regent BR9SS and after removing the magazine disconnect, the trigger is much better and the magazines fall freely.

2. David V. on August 21, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Thanks for this video!

3. MartinStar on August 21, 2022 at 8:12 pm

If this becomes a good seller I’d love to see FN make HP/DA model.

4. Steve Harvey on August 21, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Great review, thanks. How does the new gun trigger compare to the 1911?

5. Edwin McNew on August 21, 2022 at 8:14 pm

That’s a beauty!

6. Nomad 75 on August 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm

So glad to see that FN didn’t "polymerize" the new High power

7. Jeffrey Locke on August 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm

I would get one in stainless steel from FN and I would get it because it is a better designed High Power.

8. Khanclansith on August 21, 2022 at 8:19 pm

The New FN isn’t a Hi Power… maybe "Hyper-Power"… but it more a competitor with like the Beretta M9A3. But the reason to get the Springfield or Turkish models is that they are new out of the box shooters that replicated that classic WW2 early Cold War classic. And these ones I can take to the range on day one without having to take them to a gunsmith first.

9. Nightseeker Gryphon on August 21, 2022 at 8:20 pm

"FN would one-up everybody"

At what, reading the room poorly? I’ve yet to see a singular Hi-Power enthusiast say the new FN is a good continuation of the name, other than you. If it was a different name, then it would be fine, but shutting down a revered pistol such as the Hi-Power then release it as something entirely different and radically overpriced is essentially spitting all over the name.

10. Ron i on August 21, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Why did they name it High-Power and not Hi-Power like the original?

11. T J Miller on August 21, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Two things I wish FN would’ve kept on their new version, the enclosed recoil spring and the ability to use the original high power mags, which there are an umpteen million of and are affordable.

12. DJ on August 21, 2022 at 8:21 pm

This thing weighs 40 ounces, that’s 8 more than an original. With all the ambidextrous controls and wide slide caused by the sig like lock up its kind of a bloated hot mess. The svelteness of the original is gone. Girsan is coming out with the OPS model that has a rail and beavertail as well as a shortened detective version. Their effort is more impressive than FN’s which is sad.

13. nomikes on August 21, 2022 at 8:21 pm

I like the original with the SFS system. Had it since the early 90s

14. Bayou Preacher on August 21, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Needs a double action trigger! Until then, I keep my cz75 clone!

15. Bill Assande on August 21, 2022 at 8:22 pm

curious to see how the new EAA Hi Power imports compare to the SA-35. They at least made an effort to correct the hammer bite issue with an extended beavertail.

16. Darko Zambo on August 21, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Super new soul old gun with modern caracteristic.

17. Pvt.York_Alvin68 on August 21, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Personally id rather FN had just released a clone correct version instead of “modernizing it”. They would probably sell more. People looking for a modern handgun aren’t going to buy a hi-power especially one that’s been changed to the point that it no longer has much aftermarket support. People looking to buy a hi-power most likely aren’t looking to buy something modernized.

18. Invasion_of_the_body_snatchers on August 21, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Someone should show Jason how to hold a gun🤦🏻‍♂️

19. John Golen on August 21, 2022 at 8:29 pm

When Bravo Concealment still made custom holsters, I got one for my Mk3. When the gun was holstered, the kydex came up to the safety so it kept the pistol on safe when in the holster. I carry it on occasion still. Nice review Mac.

20. Bart Van Riel on August 21, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Should’ve just removed the magazine safety and improved the magazines

21. J Lo on August 21, 2022 at 8:30 pm

I have my stepdads fn hi-power from the 70s. Zero issues. What’s to update? Just make more 😃

22. Shrim Uyopa on August 21, 2022 at 8:31 pm

I love this new High – Power. I will be buying one in the future.

23. T Worthington on August 21, 2022 at 8:32 pm

I have carried the Browning high power for many years. it was the first gun I ever shot as a kid and I have owned one ever since. definitely one of the greatest guns I’ve ever had. not really sure what I think of the FN version yet although I would more likely go with the Springfield if they put a bottom rail on it. I like the 1911-style hammer better than the original. outside of that the lack of a lower rail is the only thing that keeps it from being perfect for me. the thin profile it makes it easier to conceal than most guns of its size as well

24. John Buckner on August 21, 2022 at 8:34 pm

As I se there are quite a few purest, but as for me, any design changes on a old design that makes it better than is good ( ala Ruger 22pistol take down!).

25. Badco1948 on August 21, 2022 at 8:34 pm

$1400, naw, no sale, improvements or no.

26. Yup Yup on August 21, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Way over priced, ugliest of them all, and what’s the point of putting modern "tactical" features on a gun like this? It doesn’t even have a rail or optics mount. Modern stuff isn’t why someone would buy a hi power… Plus it has a different locking mechanism and none of the parts are interchangable… Ugly grips, doesn’t even have the same grip design or feel, ugly finish, ugly slide cuts, and something about it just looks cheap…

What is FN smoking. I would much rather get the Springfield or a Turkish clone

27. GRMGR1 on August 21, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I have zero interest in the new gun. New Coke deja vu. I predict that it won’t sell well. The market for full size steel frame guns is very limited, and now it doesn’t have the benefit of nostalgia as a selling point.

28. CAROLINA PATRIOT on August 21, 2022 at 8:37 pm

I really like the shape of the original Browning Hi Power. It fits my hand as if it was originally custom mode for MY HAND. It points perfectly and feels great. JB knew what he was doing.

29. Jeff on August 21, 2022 at 8:38 pm

I’d rather the FN since it’s drop safe and southpaw friendly.

As for the price, I can wait a while and save a few hundred. Then, use the savings for mags and night sights✌️😎

30. Hurlington von Migllesworth on August 21, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Really wish it had come with a pic rail.

31. Timothy Bagrowski on August 21, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Beetle, New Beetle – Coke, New Coke and now this, I don’t like it, I’d opt for the SA35 if I were in the market. I now fully understand why the 1911 guys lost their mind in the 80’s when Colt came out with the Series 80 1911. Not sure what FN should call it, and it may be a great gun, but I don’t see it as a High Power.

32. Ben Pritchard on August 21, 2022 at 8:42 pm

I’ll take one of each.

33. Old, bald and the fugly on August 21, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Mac , are you planning to do the gauntlet test on the new FN high power? Something I’m sure people would look forward to👍

34. xb0xisbetter on August 21, 2022 at 8:45 pm

The strange design "feature" could be like what they were going for with the MKII variant of the original Hi-Power. It has a small hole in the exact same place on the front of the slide, which is said to allow for water to drain out quickly following submersion.

Most people wouldn’t know this. The only reason I do is my only Hi-Power is a surplus/trade-in MKII.

It also looks like the guide rod protrudes from the front of the slide when the slide is locked back as well though, sort of like a full-length guide rod on a 1911?

35. Jacob Ivy on August 21, 2022 at 8:45 pm

Is there any reason to run this over a CZ 75 SP-01?

36. Geoffrey Cotter on August 21, 2022 at 8:50 pm

fn by far

37. RUBIZEN on August 21, 2022 at 8:51 pm

UUUGGGHHHH! The new FN looks like Salma Hayek….with a cock!! FN just made countless shooters start looking for the OLD Hi power! Way to go FN.

38. Michael Horn on August 21, 2022 at 8:51 pm

One of my favorites

39. Victor Mudrack on August 21, 2022 at 8:52 pm

My only disappointment was that they didn’t put it on an alloy frame.

40. Johnnie Kane on August 21, 2022 at 8:53 pm

girsan now has a new tactical bhp with all the goodys installed. if know where i can get one let me know.

41. colinazilla on August 21, 2022 at 8:54 pm

They really should have called this a FNP-9 SAO or something. This is just flat out not a Hi-Power, it’s design and internals are far closer to their line of hammer fired pistols but with the double action removed. Still a neat design, but for $1300? There’s no reason to go with this over an SAO Sig 220 or a CZ. Unfortunate, this really could have been something special for us SAO fans.

42. Sunbeam on August 21, 2022 at 8:57 pm

A year before FN discontinued the Hi-Power, I found a nice original example for a real bargain price. It’s a 1990 model with target sights and a beautiful polished blue finish. This new version may be a decent firearm, but I don’t see it appealing enough to either modern handgun buyers or classic Hi-Power fans – especially for $1400 – $1000 more than I paid for mine!

43. DANIEL J on August 21, 2022 at 8:58 pm

44. Jason Kerr on August 21, 2022 at 8:59 pm

It’s a nice pistol, but it’s not a Hi-Power. If anything, it’s a steel-frame, single-action version of the FNX. I wonder how many parts interchange between the "HP" and the FNX…..

45. HapaBoi61 on August 21, 2022 at 9:01 pm

I’d like to see a third mag, different sight and a RDS cut in the slide for the price point.

46. Paramed501 on August 21, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Cool gun but I would rather go with a CZ-75 if I want a classic proven design. Cheaper and better.

47. Messina on August 21, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Love it but for $1400 I would rather have the CZ Shadow 2.

48. Frank Gonzalez on August 21, 2022 at 9:06 pm

How does it compare to the CZ75

49. GunsAndCars on August 21, 2022 at 9:07 pm

I hope the FN makes a fanboy of the 35 cause my Tisas regent left me wondering why everyone liked a high power , not Tisas fault its made very well but was meh shooting it.

50. TheCooperman666 on August 21, 2022 at 9:07 pm

I need me a .357 magnum Hi Power….do it! i dare you pistol makers!