RIA VR 80 SlugFest

RIA VR 80 SlugFest

Doing some 12 gauge “slugging” with the Rock Island Armory VR80!
First video with this shotgun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvRb9ozjS0E
———————— Please check out and support the people who help make this channel possible: BUD’s GUN SHOP, FEDERAL PREMIUM, SONORAN DESERT INSTITUTE, SILENCER CENTRAL, TALON GRIPS, & BALLISTOL: http://www.hickok45.com/supporters/
Become a Gong Club member at our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/hickok45
Federal Premium: http://www.federalpremium.com/
SDI (Sonoran Desert Institute): http://www.sdi.edu/
Talon Grips: https://talongungrips.com/
Ballistol: https://ballistol.com/
ALSO, ALL our videos are on GunStreamer.com:
The short FAQ Videos playlist will answer most questions you have:

YouTube player

Find us on Hickok45 Twitter and Facebook, as well as “therealHickok45” on Instagram.

NOTE: All shooting in our videos is done by professional shooters for instructional and entertainment purposes, with an emphasis on safety and responsible gun ownership. Do not attempt to copy at home anything you see in our videos. Firearms can be extremely dangerous if not used safely.

1. Frank Verdin on October 22, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Hickok45, it would be great if you made a video discussing shotgun chokes for slugs, rifled and non rifled. Also, how would you compare a bennilli choke to say, a Carlson’s choke. I find this information lacking on Youtube. Thank you.

2. Jeremiah Myers on October 22, 2022 at 8:42 pm

7 month old video, you probably know by now, but if you grab and pull the charge handle, it will come out and move over to the other side

3. kojkuv100 on October 22, 2022 at 8:45 pm

I have the same gun, which shells works best, any recommendations

4. zqx357 on October 22, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I love mine. You can change the bolt charging hand to the side. Just pull on it, it will come out and insert it in the other side. Make sure it clicks in so you don’t lose it. No tool is required. It doesn’t seem by the video you know that. Love your videos.

5. Jeff West on October 22, 2022 at 8:46 pm

“Nothing like a slug, an ounce of lead flying down range.” He’s the absolute best lol

6. King Rubio on October 22, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Seeesshhh thanks 😊

7. Pigdaddy on October 22, 2022 at 8:48 pm

I owned and enjoyed the vr60 for a couple of years. I traded it up to the vr80 August19th. This one is set up specifically for slug slinging. Flared mag well, rifled barrel, adjustable stock, muzzle break etc.
    I need a new scope but I am new to the "shotgun culture". Any suggestions for a scope that holds up well mounted on a slug gun?

8. Jesse Wang on October 22, 2022 at 8:50 pm

It’s be like awp

9. YouOnlyLiveOnce143 on October 22, 2022 at 8:51 pm

How far was the gong that you shoot first??

10. Mr K on October 22, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Exceptional shot, this reminds me of an old timer I knew when I was a pup… you both are great shooters…

11. wac 85 on October 22, 2022 at 8:51 pm

no offense, but just reading what’s in the box would tell you all you need do if you’re wanting bolt handle on other side is pull it out and put it in. 2 seconds to do.
    have a vr80 and tells you to run few hundred 1300fps or faster rounds to loosen it up. also you can lock bolt back leave it like that for a week or 2 and feeding problems will go away.
    lots of people have seen once springs are worked it gas no trouble feeding any kind of ammo.

12. unleasheth on October 22, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Seems like it’s a piece a some a that clit! Smoke some a thy bruthafockin pot

13. Paul Bove on October 22, 2022 at 8:52 pm

I used mine opening day of pheasant season and performed grate no malfunctions and spot on never touched the sights

14. Korey Hannan on October 22, 2022 at 8:53 pm

You can pull out the charging handle and put it on the right side. It needs to be made longer either way

15. yellowveedub on October 22, 2022 at 8:53 pm

I love my RIA VR80.

16. Jesse Wang on October 22, 2022 at 8:53 pm

They need to have slugs in cod

17. 2 Wheel Phil on October 22, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Mine was intermittent until I hit the 200’ish round break in. During break in I shot almost exclusively 3" BB and #4 shot with some buckshot and slugs mixed in. From the start, it did OK with all of the 3" shells. Now it’s reliable with the 5 round mags even with the cheap stuff, #8 birdshot. I also have 2 panzer 10 round mags that work but still occasionally fail to feed (maybe 1 out of 20-30 rounds).

18. HotShot Haven on October 22, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Them: ”A shotgun won’t do anything past 20 yards.”
    Me: Keep playing video games gentlemen….

19. Brook Lyn on October 22, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Good rifle.

20. Eddie Provost on October 22, 2022 at 8:56 pm

That charging handle comes right out Sir, pop it over to the other side. Good vid as aways!

21. Freedom Fighter on October 22, 2022 at 8:57 pm

Yeah I have one and love it after I ran about 200 rounds through it its very reliable. Fixing to buy another one just for the hell of it. Also you can buy MAGS FROM PANZER ARMS 10 round for 28.95 and they work very well.

22. Jada Bandit on October 22, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Damn Hickok I couldn’t wait for you to review this shotty. I have 1 and I love this thing. So fun to shoot.

23. John Barabasch on October 22, 2022 at 8:59 pm

The charging handles changes from either side. Just pop off and pop on. 👍🏼

24. jimgenksxxl on October 22, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Hickok will you be my dad? Lol

25. Christopher George on October 22, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Do a field strip and see the metal filings. And that bolt catch position is a horrid design. Try a real box fed. The RIA VR60. Hmm, I’m partial.

26. Brad Taylor on October 22, 2022 at 9:04 pm

What model?

27. Roadrunner69 ! on October 22, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Bought one of the charles daly ar-12s month ago and Thanksgiving my family brought ar 15 556 and four other shotguns, and we all took turns and we shot buckshot and high brass 3 inch magnums, after 50 rounds through ar-12s, shot box of low brass bird shot never jammed or any trouble out of 100 rounds, very happy with it . Great Video, 👍

28. jelad Snikpoh on October 22, 2022 at 9:06 pm

I have one of these in the Camo Green with the 9rounder. I love it, seems to have no problem cycling 00 Buck, even brand new. I installed a laser/LED combo as it’s easier for me to accurately shoot from hip rather than using those ghost ring sights with my arthritic neck. (Friggin Rambo, baby!) I’m fairly new to gun ownership, is that issue just me? The recoil is much easier to manage than I expected, and it’s quite easy to shoot (except my neck doesn’t like those sights). Recommend getting this gun from Rural King if you live in Eastern part of US, at least $100 less than retail even during gun-shortage price-gouging time!

29. John Arbaugh on October 22, 2022 at 9:06 pm

MKA 1919 20 round DRUM magazine…the VRA 80 is known in Canuckistan as the MK 12…BREAKDOWN VIDEO ON YOUTUBE. Fit it with an A3G Munitions extended foregrip and a Vortex Strike Eagle scope…

30. Rob Carroll on October 22, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Love it, hell of a shotgun. Get used to it and you wont want another shotgun. I do suggest changing the butt stock out and the grip. I am fixing to put a compensator on it and will let you know.

31. Dave K on October 22, 2022 at 9:06 pm

I have a few 12ga. shotties, this is by FAR my favo.

32. Born WarMachine on October 22, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Not self defense, this is world defence.

33. ISIAH on October 22, 2022 at 9:07 pm

What’s the gun website?

34. Danny Orr on October 22, 2022 at 9:08 pm

From factory mine ran ok for the first 20 rds., then I switched out the pistons and It wouldn’t run period, switched back and it still wouldn’t run, broke in for about 200 shells, still wouldn’t run, so I got mad and sent it back to the factory, ever since coming back its ran almost perfectly, the biggest factor in reliability is going to be the size of your gas ports in the barrel, mine were too small so they widened them, which is something I wasn’t super comfortable doing myself since this was the first gun I’ve ever bought. owned it for about 2 years now and its running strong.

35. 2ner_Hon on October 22, 2022 at 9:12 pm

What choke are you using for the slug? I notice the Vr 80 come with 3 chokes, full, modified and cylinder. According to the manual it state not to use slug on the modified or the full choke. So I guess cylinder is what you use.

36. Jeff West on October 22, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Where can I find that 19 rounds Mag?

37. Justin Taylor on October 22, 2022 at 9:15 pm

You can move the bolt pin on either side , it just pulls out

38. Mr. Y on October 22, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Just picked up mine on a trade. First thing I did was look up whether Hickock had shot one. Thanks to both of you guys I know I got a ROCKIN’ deal!

39. Tzapore's din Dristor on October 22, 2022 at 9:23 pm

The watermelon fought back!!🤣

40. Juanito El Pistolero on October 22, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Charging Handle is ambidextrous. You can swap it over just pull it out

41. glassover on October 22, 2022 at 9:27 pm

How far out is this gun accurate shooting slugs i wonder?

42. Jesse Wang on October 22, 2022 at 9:28 pm

I shot kill that feels nice

43. Jim Hovater on October 22, 2022 at 9:28 pm

I just bought a VR82 (20ga). The manual says to ONLY use slugs thru the IC choke tube. What tube are you using? I would PREFER to run the MOD tube, as 90% of my shooting will be with various sized shot (#6 thru #2 buck shot).

44. MMA PICKS AND PARLAYS on October 22, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Love mine

45. Tzapore's din Dristor on October 22, 2022 at 9:31 pm

The watermelon fought back!!😂🤣

46. Ricky Ricardo on October 22, 2022 at 9:33 pm

I just bought one today. Now I’m going to start buying cases of slugs 😛

47. David on October 22, 2022 at 9:34 pm

I’m planning on getting one of these soon, so I’ve been doing some research on what it takes to break it in, but man-o-man this gun looks fun to shoot, can’t wait. Love the vids by the way, keep up the good work!

48. Shawn McAtee on October 22, 2022 at 9:36 pm

Mine didn’t want to cycle well for the first 50 rounds. The main issue was the idiotic breach break I had to deal with because of the People’s Republic of Kaliphornia. Having to break the receivers to drop the mag because clearing a short stroked round would usually cause a double feed if the mag was still in place. Total clown show. I’ve detailed the moving parts (just today) and found some pretty crude machine work. But it works a lot slicker now. I’ll hit the range with it again soon, see how it runs. But running Black Aces OO at 1340, 50 rounds of that, I’m not too proud to say the shoulder is a little sore LOL…

49. Robert Smith, Jr. on October 22, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Is this legal in NJ? Anybody know?

50. jaqen h'ghar on October 22, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Got mine and went on a slugfest myself. 1650 fps had my shoulder rocking ! Fun shotgun forsure