Riflescope 101: Objective Diameter and Tube Size

Riflescope 101: Objective Diameter and Tube Size

Learn the fundamentals of riflescopes and how they work in our series of videos, Riflescope 101.

This video covers objective diameter and tube size; myths about clarity, what actually makes a difference in getting the brightest, widest image, and how to make sense of the options in riflescope dimensions provided to you.

Like Ryan’s T-shirt? Get one for yourself or a fellow Vortex fan-

Connect with Vortex Optics:

Like Ryan’s T-shirt? Get one for yourself or a fellow Vortex enthusiast at:

1. OVI-Wan Kenobi on January 25, 2023 at 1:22 am

bigger is better

2. the Random CARPENTER on January 25, 2023 at 1:30 am

What is the benifet of big tube scope sir?

3. just snuggle on January 25, 2023 at 1:31 am

Didn’t mention anything significant about tube diameter. But somehow it made it into the title of the video…

4. toy collector on January 25, 2023 at 1:31 am

Tube diameter is a benefit for number of clicks available to zero or to adjust your scope.

5. Robert Williams on January 25, 2023 at 1:44 am

Okay so what scope would pick up better light in low light conditions such as first or last light in a pine forest in central Louisiana? The crossfire II 3-9×50 or the copper head 4-12×44…. both are the same price range and assuming that shooting distances are irrelevant. I want to know which one I should buy. I will order one this week depending on the answer

6. Tejeshw Vardhan on January 25, 2023 at 1:48 am

if the objective lens has large diameter then it will provide small FOV and better brightness???????

7. Thamac15 on January 25, 2023 at 1:49 am

Sure wish you made these products in the USA. I have to buy Leupold.

8. WG on January 25, 2023 at 1:53 am

i see the Razor HD LH in my future!

9. Maga Man on January 25, 2023 at 1:54 am

Decent quality starts at about $1,000 for binoculars and rifle scopes. But you’ll never be sorry once you take them into the field. I had some huge Celestron 20×80 mm astronomical binoculars in cottage country side by side with a much smaller Zeiss 10 x 42 roof prism binos . After about 2 minutes with the Celestron, the image was so washed out, I did what most other Celestron owners do: I shoved them in the closet and never used it again On the other hand, I had a Zeiss Diavari 3-12 x 56 mm rifle scope. The sight picture with its "micro contrast" was fantastic. Plus with an exit
    pupil bigger than your own pupil of 5 mm to 7 mm max. at dusk, even though your eye can’t use the surplus brightness, the target is acquired faster and more easily. Bottom line: Skip the junky optics from southeast Asia, spend the money and get good glass. You’ll never be sorry.

10. Mr_Tea_Rexx on January 25, 2023 at 2:04 am

doesn’t larger tube size give you better elevation ?

11. Tide Pods on January 25, 2023 at 2:08 am

I like a 30mm tube and a 44mm objective, a 1 inch tube is just too small and a 50mm objective is too big

12. Jeff Gibson on January 25, 2023 at 2:12 am

Exit pupil !

13. Robert Williams on January 25, 2023 at 2:15 am

But how do I know which objective I need for my location… I’m in the crossfire II / diamond back price range… I have a Remington 783 with the factory scope… I let 2 bucks walk this year because I couldn’t pick them up in my scope good enough to take a comfortable shot at about 250 yards… I got one clear as day at 400 yards with some Nikon binoculars but when they finally got close enough for me to consider shooting, I couldn’t make the image well enough… around 8:30 in the morning, slight fog and a shadow from the tree line covering half of the high line I was hunting…

14. repne scasb on January 25, 2023 at 2:17 am

Ceteris paribus; the larger objective, the brighter. it’s simply physics. You’re not helping at all.