Rossi Model 88 2" 38 Special Revolver : Brazilian Gem

Rossi Model 88 2" 38 Special Revolver : Brazilian Gem

The Rossi Model 88 was produced from 1978 until the mid ’90’s and is a fine quality Double Action revolver. It was offered in a 2″ and 3″ stainless steel version and the Model 68 was a Blued Model. Picked this one up on Gun Broker. #Rossimodel88 #RossiRevolver #Rossi

Big thanks to Fiocchi USA for Supplying our ammunition!

Sportsman’s Guide $20 off $100 or more purchase using SOOTCH

USCCA Affiliate Link: uscca.com/Sootch

Rubber Dummies 10% off “Sootch00” Code. Click Affiliate Link: http://rubberdummies.myshopify.com?aff=6

Check out Getzone.com for the SootchZone to see exclusive content https://www.getzone.com/

Be a Team Sootch Minuteman: https://www.patreon.com/Sootch00

Hit the Like Button & Subscribe for more Fun Gun Reviews.

Thanks for watching~ Sootch00

Instagram: Sootch_00

Music is from Jingle Punks and Epidemic Sounds Royalty Free Music through the Fullscreen Network. Used with permission.

1. Alexander Hamilton on July 23, 2022 at 7:40 pm

I predict a flush of Brazilians popping into the comments writing about how great Rossi was.

Nope, Rossi in Brazil was always sub standard. People who say great things about Rossi is due emotional attachment, because someone on their families had one.

First of all, it was only in 1957 that Rossi started making revolvers, so the 1889 date means little actual experience. It was a copy of the S&W Ladysmith, called Rossi Princess. The legislation back then didn’t even consider it a real gun. Someone could just enter a hardware store, buy one and bring it home. It sold well because it was cheap and easy to buy. Only in late 60s Rossi started to make "real" revolvers aiming to sell them as Saturday night specials in the US. Unfortunately for them, the Gun Control Act came by and they were barred from it. If they wanted to sell in America they had to make good enough guns to compete in something besides price tag. Until then, they would still be a manufacture for people who couldn’t afford a Taurus. The real advantage they had was the slimmer profile for concealed carry.

The lack of real selling points is backed by the fact that every model they produced, except for the later cyclops, was to be sold cheaper than it’s Taurus counterpart. In late 80/early 90s they modernized all their production lines to export. At the time they already produced good guns, but for a long time, the production for the USA was one, and the Brazilian production line another. Obviously, it was the first one where all the attentions was focused on.

So, Rossi "Brazilian" revolvers are good guns, yes. But only those which were made for the American market or those of the final years of the company in Brazil. A Brazilian made for Brazilian market is usually not something to write home about.

2. Simone Quaranta on July 23, 2022 at 7:41 pm

End of the day Amadeo Rossi was an Italian immigrant, so he had to be a quality gun maker 😃….jokes aside, I heard Taurus Is planning to bring back Rossi revolvers, the "pica pau", that Is with the direct firing pin

3. Pete Spurgeon on July 23, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Nice little snubby,that’s a keeper.

4. Ronald Howdeshell on July 23, 2022 at 7:42 pm

I have a Model 877 that I got from my wife’s grandfather. 357 Magnum, 2" bbl, stainless.

5. vui ngày mới on July 23, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Men 😍

6. Bill23799 on July 23, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Hey Sootch do you remember when Walmart sold handguns?
    I remember seeing the Rossi .357 revolver in the display case
    at WM selling for about $249.99 I think.

7. Jarvis Rutherford on July 23, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Algorithm defeated

8. Lauro Garza on July 23, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Another great production. Much appreciated Sootch. All of us, here in America, have the right of self-defense but not all of us or few of us can afford the $500-1000 for a new Smith, Ruger or Colt pistol. Taurus, Rossi and a few other names, mentioned on your programs, Sootch, seek to fill that niche with good quality, reliable and, very importantly, affordable pistols and revolvers. Although I own pistols and carry them often, I prefer my revolvers for outdoor activities because of the versatility of cartridges available for them. For example, during of months off from hunting season, I can often be found carrying a very similar revolver to the one featured here, a Taurus 85UL in 38 Special. It is very low mass and weather proof and can handle most 38 Special cartridges including target loads which I use to dispatch wounded and dying livestock and snake shot rounds from CCI which are, in conjunction with the target loads, very useful for pests and dangerous snakes. If I am not mistaken, both 38 Colt and Long Colt can also be chambered in the 38 Special adding to its versatility and +P rounds can be very effective against predators, 2 or 4 legged, and small or medium game alike. At least here in the lower 48, a 38 special revolver like this Rossi and similar can be an outdoorsman’s best friend and a home owner’s best and most reliable self defense.

9. comiketiger on July 23, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Great review….as usual.
    God bless all here.

10. 105 Alatorre on July 23, 2022 at 7:47 pm

I have the same with some changes. Mine has pinned barrel, trigger is not serrated. Fun shooter. It just works.

11. Martin Blevins on July 23, 2022 at 7:48 pm

Awesome review!
    their’s not alot of info out there on these I love my m88 2in.

12. Justin on July 23, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Salute to all of those companies who went belly-up importing firearms, and helped keep the 2nd Amendment here.

13. Bigboss on July 23, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Big want

14. Stan Holloway on July 23, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I have a heritage 22 lr/22 mag six shooter I love it

15. Justin on July 23, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Why don’t we see more center-fire cartridge revolvers?

16. KW on July 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm

This was my 1st hand gun back in 1994

17. Stuart Owens on July 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm

There is just something that makes quality wheel guns little works of art.

18. Bates. K.R. on July 23, 2022 at 7:55 pm

They are one at cabellas in blue in the used section in gville.

19. D S on July 23, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Nice gun. I’ll take a Ruger sp101 over it though.

20. sootch00 on July 23, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Warning: There is a Giveaway Scam posting in the comments using my thumbnail. I am not on Telegram. Please report them. Thanks.

21. RayS S on July 23, 2022 at 7:57 pm

I’ve had one since about 95′. Great Little gun. I mostly use it when carrying concealed at appendix.(won’t carry my Glock there). It has never failed me. Can’t find any info on if it can shoot +P.

22. Scarpia on July 23, 2022 at 8:01 pm

I own many guns from all of the popular manufacturers, but this Rossi 88 is one of my favorites. Scootch00 did not mention how amazingly accurate it is. It will put five rounds into a torso sized target at 50 feet all day.

23. Deepcore854 on July 23, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Don- Check the grips on the Rossi 88 2". Looks like it’s loose. On another note, I’m still kicking my butt for selling the 3" Mod.88. Love your vid’s, keep up the good work putting out informative video’s.

24. Michael Sadlo on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I had this Rossi Model 88 2 inch, 38 spec. Very good quality, its a copy of the S&W 68, the Rossi was much cheaper and it was the same good quality like the S&W, i never had any Problems with it, the Ruger Model what i bought later Was not a good quality, 2 Times i had to bring it for repair. I was very disappointed about Ruger, it have a super Reputation made in USA, i was shocked what Bad quality the Ruger had.
    I would buy any Rossi firearm with pleasure again.
    Thanks alot for uploading.
    Best regards from Austria 🇦🇹

25. David Davey on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

One of the best deals I made for $140 new back in the 80s. Mine is the 3 inch version. A nice concealable kit gun.

26. Poker Joker on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I too own a Rossi 88 2 inch and absolutely love it! I bought it exactly one week before Biden ruining the Country.

27. Justin on July 23, 2022 at 8:08 pm

How many rounds can a typical revolver fire before parts need replaced?

28. V8SKULLS on July 23, 2022 at 8:08 pm

What beautiful little gun, and a wonderful review, thank you for sharing, God Bless Brother

29. Mike Sisley on July 23, 2022 at 8:09 pm

A 5 shot J-frame sized revolver is a good tool to have. Very popular pocket carry gun for very hot climates in summer.

30. Ron Tribbey on July 23, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Nope not for me 3 inch yes , and they did make one long ago , may not now to bad if they don’t.

31. Doug R on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

My favorite CC revolver is a 3" ss fixed sight DAO 5 shot M720 44 spcl. Smooth as silk and extremely accurate. Purchased 2 of them new in 1996 when they were imported and roll marked by Interarms for $175 ea. Both look have the same grips and front ramp/gutter sights like your M88. The hammer is finished flush with the frame and have pinned barrels.

32. Kentucky boy on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Do more of this type of content.

33. Catch And Release on July 23, 2022 at 8:13 pm

My Model 68 was the first revolver I bought. It is still a jewel to shoot. thanks for the video.

34. RB M on July 23, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for the wheel love, Don. Just picked up a Taurus 856 Defender three inch black matte finish stainless steel to replace my Taurus 85 stainless that belonged to my mom and it went to my sister after my mom passed away. I like the 856 and I looked that revolver over for a couple of days before I bought it. I had seen some at other dealers that had timing problems and passed on them. The Taurus autoloaders made in the US have better quality control than the imported Brazilian revolvers. So my particular 856 has no timing problems after making sure there were no defects or damage. Nowadays I physically and visually inspect any new or used gun no matter what gun company before I buy. I have seen bad Rugers and Smiths among others so its not just Taurus.

35. CDLund on July 23, 2022 at 8:15 pm

I bought my M88 "Lady Rossi" in 1994 for $202 out the door. The "Lady Rossi" was a limited round butt version which aids in concealment. I cannot count how many rounds I have shot through it in training and practice, and it was my only handgun for those first 16 years of carry.
    After many years of carrying everything one can think of in handguns the old Rossi is now only one of two handguns I conceal carry. A 2" S&W model 10 round butt is my usual belt gun but, the Rossi is my deep concealment AIWB with a t shirt and a pocket option in pants and coat pockets( I did purchase a parts gun so I could bob a hammer without altering the original hammer and its always good to have parts if you carry a discontinued handgun model, although I have yet to need any repairs).
    I would put my old Interarms imported Rossi up against any revolver made it has been that solid for the last 28 years.
    By contrast my S&W 642 only made it 4 years before it started to fail (light strikes, I believe from frame stretching) and S&W called it "normal wear and tear" and would not warranty the gun. I realize it is an alloy frame and not steel like the Rossi but, I will never buy another new S&W revolver although I love the pre 80’s guns as I said I carry a late 70’s S&W model 10 almost daily.

36. smartacus88 on July 23, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Really loving my new Taurus 856 Matte Stainless 6 shot 38Spl. Carry it everywhere, everyday. I thought Rossi and Taurus were the same company?

37. Jonathan Espejo on July 23, 2022 at 8:16 pm

I bought a used Rossi 351 series and the seller threw in some reloads on top. Firing pin broke off in its first trip to the range. Had it repaired and went back to the range with a new box of Winchester .38. The rounds had no clearance on the rear part of the frame and the cylinder couldn’t cycle. Haven’t fired it since.

Is this a common problem with Winchester ammo and these revolvers?

38. Joel SuaZo on July 23, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Ese ta lindo saludos desde República Dominicana

39. Paul Nolan on July 23, 2022 at 8:19 pm

So is it absolutely drop safe or not drop safe?

40. Zatoichi on July 23, 2022 at 8:20 pm

The Model 68 was the first revolver I ever purchased nearly 30 years ago for about $160 at a gun show. Never a problem. The rubber grips make a huge difference.

41. X Biz on July 23, 2022 at 8:23 pm

😍 Classic ‼️👍🏽

42. wegmandan on July 23, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Wheel guns are ok. But today is a sweet welcome. But I still decide what the double stack.. because if someone kicks my door. There’s more than one. But then I wack. Just saying

43. Charley Walker on July 23, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for sharing your videos and keep them coming please:

44. Adam96 on July 23, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Is this the stainless version of the M351?

45. Teo Brale on July 23, 2022 at 8:30 pm

👍👍👍👍👍👍

46. Chris Blake on July 23, 2022 at 8:30 pm

I’ve had a few Rossi’s,and never been disappointed with them. I have a Ranch hand now, and love it!

47. Kyle Davis on July 23, 2022 at 8:34 pm

You said you could use +P in them, but the owner’s manual specifically states they’re not +P rated. I’ve read of people shooting +P out of them with no problem, but if a company from a developing country tells me their product isn’t rated for them… I’ll trust their word. 😁

I bought mine new around 95/96, and I love it. I still use it as a summer carry.

48. sunseasurf1000 on July 23, 2022 at 8:34 pm

A revolver I regret selling was my Colt Anaconda, 4 inch barrel matte stainless steel.
    Excellent review SOOTCH!

49. aged bison on July 23, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I have a Rossi 4" model 971 unfluted cylinder. Bought it new over 20 yrs ago. love it.

50. Fernando Nando on July 23, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Este ano teremos estes revólveres ROSSI disponíveis no comércio o que é muito bom.