Ruger P89 – They don't make 'em like this anymore!

Ruger P89 – They don't make 'em like this anymore!

#justinopinion
The Justin Opinion Channel promotes the legal, safe, and responsible use of firearms and accessories. The shooting in this video is done by a professional shooter and certified firearms instructor in a safe range environment, using remote cameras. Do not attempt to perform these actions outside a safe designated range with appropriate safety measures and supervision. By viewing this video, you agree that Justin Opinion Channel or YouTube are not responsible for unsafe acts attempted by viewers.
This video is presented for information and entertainment purposes only. I do not sell any of these products, nor receive payment from any industry sources to review their products or services.
This video is not an attempt to sell you a good or service.
There are no links to other websites that sell firearms.
Some products may be provided to the channel at no charge, or loaned as test and evaluation (T&E) – this information is fully disclosed in the video.
Some of the codes below are affiliate links that pay a commission back to this channel, at no additional cost to the buyer. Those are identified with the word “affiliate”. This helps support content creation and usually saves you money!
LOK Grips: Use the affiliate code JUSTIN10, you’ll save 10%
Tactical AR500 Targets: Use discount code “justinopinion” and get 10% off
OpticsPlanet: Use discount code “Opinion5” for 5% off your entire order
Talon Grips: Use discount code “JustinO” and get 10% off your order.
Support the Justin Opinion Channel: https://www.patreon.com/join/JustinOpinion?
All music is licensed and royalty-free. Used with permission.
Fair Use: Any other images, audio or video clips, etc. that might be used are done for the purpose of illustrating a point for Documentary or Educational purposes.
© Justin Opinion Enterprises, LLC

1. Daniel Martinez on July 23, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Remember when everybody came up with reasons why the P-89 was inferior? I got my 310-7 series "used" in 1997 for two bills, it had never been fired, the original owner had heard from a friend about the recall on the safety decocker and wanted to get rid of it like it was the clap, I tried to tell him it was a different model, but he was convinced that Ruger was unworthy. I can’t tell you which of my kids I love more and I can’t decide if I love my CZ-75 or my Ruger P-89 more, but I would rather die than give them up. My only complaint is that both are hard to rack, you have to hold both safety decockers on the P-89 because it has no cocking serrations and the CZ has tiny serrations that are hard to grip, but they both eat everything I feed them so I forgive them. The 90’s was a good time for wondernines and I got lucky two years in a row, and 24 years later, I don’t need no stinkin’ Glocks.

2. Andy Andy on July 23, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Carried a P89 for 5 years as a duty weapon. It rattled horribly, but always cycled and was pretty accurate. The trigger pull was great, especially SA.

3. Trigger Man 109 on July 23, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Hey justin. Do u have a give away team or could it be a scam. They have contacted me

4. Justin Opinion on July 23, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Hey – SAVE money AND help my channel – if you order from these partners, using my affiliate links, you save money and help me make content.

LOK Grips and use the code JUSTIN10, you’ll save 10%

Crimson Trace – use the code OPINION10, you’ll save 10%

No money comes back to the channel for these discount codes, but they will also SAVE YOU MONEY:
    TA Targets – Use code “justinopinion” and get 10% off anything (except bargain bin stuff).
    OpticsPlanet – Use code "JustinOpinion" for 5% off your entire Optics Planet order
    Looking for Talon Grips? Use code “JustinO” and get 10% off your order. https://talongungrips.com/
    http://patriotpatch.co/justin Be sure to use discount code “Justin” for 10% off your entire order!

5. Collin Gray on July 23, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I’ve got a p85 mark 2

6. Mike Butler on July 23, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I got a P89 a few years ago and love it. Have put quite a few rounds though it and it is very accurate. I put Hogue grips on it. Keep it in my nightstand but I carry a S&W 442 air weight. Very good video, thanks!

7. James Macon on July 23, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Had mine about seven years now… Still my favorite pistol out of several.

8. Si Fer on July 23, 2022 at 7:39 pm

My first firearm when I was 21 and I am 45 now. I regret parting with it and will buy another someday

9. brian cumberland on July 23, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I have a P89 for home defense. Absolutely love this gun and it’s durability! Definitely built like a tank

10. stabbyronnie on July 23, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I owned one before the great boating accident of 09′! Love the pistol, uh, loved!

11. gingerneering101 on July 23, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Bought a kp89 for my first purchased pistol and I still can’t part with it. People have joked that if I ran out of ammo I could throw it…I always replied I would do just that because it’s heavy and there’s no possibility of breaking it.

12. R C on July 23, 2022 at 7:43 pm

I bought a used P85 recently & love it!

I showed it to my friend and he said:

“I see you like your handguns like you like your women. A little bit chunky, a little bit weird and fun to play with.”

13. Todd Cooper on July 23, 2022 at 7:43 pm

My 1st.duty weapon and hated that boat

14. Michael Cross on July 23, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Great video Justin, I’ll have to keep an eye out for these older Rugers. I’d rather have a sa/da all day compared to striker fired. Keep up the good work.

15. R Taggs on July 23, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Not too many P Series Rugers are found in the great condition yours is in. I just got a P 90 45 ACP recently., now that is a P Series that is getting hard to find.

16. Wes on July 23, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Love my KP-89. A little big and heavy for a CCW but good for end of times.

17. ShutterManAce on July 23, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Seeing the comments. I see a lot of people regretting that they sold theirs. I never understood why people sell good working guns. If I ever need something new, I just buy without selling my old guns. If it’s a gun that you don’t like for whatever reason, yeah selling them makes sense.

18. John Kinkel on July 23, 2022 at 7:52 pm

This was a better pistol than the S&W competition. I own both a p95 and a 5904.

19. On Any Funday on July 23, 2022 at 7:52 pm

Mine has been on duty and still working great since the day I purchased it in the Fall of 1994.

20. Midwest Speed on July 23, 2022 at 7:52 pm

Those P89s were all over the streets of chicago in the late 90s early 2000s lol… that was one of the best guns lol…

21. John Griswold on July 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm

I really like these Ruger p series very much instead of the Sr Rugers!
    If they still made them I would even buy a p89!

22. Ronald Cash on July 23, 2022 at 7:56 pm

great video ty sir

23. Cro Minion on July 23, 2022 at 7:58 pm

I remember when the P85 first came out and so many people crapped on them because they were entirely investment cast. One of the main concerns was that even the barrels were cast (two pieces press fit and welded together on P85, then single piece castings on P89 on up) and people were sure they were going to explode, despite the insane torture tests Ruger put them through. Here we are 30+ years later and there are plenty of P Series pistols with tens of thousands of rounds through them that are still going strong. Many people still look down on castings as inferior to forgings or milled parts, but Ruger has shown they can be insanely strong and durable. I will never part with my P Series guns. 👍

24. Michael Barfield on July 23, 2022 at 7:59 pm

The Ruger P series….. ugly , chunky, yet functional as all get out….. I own a P89, P90 and P94 in .40 S&W and they all WORK!!!!!!!

25. George Horner on July 23, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Durable , accurate , never could understand why the military did not choose it over the Berretta?

26. hurricane0460 on July 23, 2022 at 8:01 pm

My first carry gun as a Deputy Sheriff was the P88 then the P89, P94 and finally the P95. We had a running joke if you ran out of ammo you could beat them with it because it was so heavy.. Great shooting gun. Thanks for sharing..

27. kooooter66 on July 23, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I bought mine new in 1992 and to this day my favorite 9mm I own. its a tank and will run any ammo even dirty I mean really dirty and it will still go. most reliable weapon I own for thirty years.

28. Mark Hughes on July 23, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Those are the best groups I’ve ever saw your no shooting ass do

29. S R on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I always wanted one of these pistols when they were new, and was fortunate enough to pick up a gently used stainless model a few years ago. Love it. Probably the last of my pistols I will ever part with. Doubles as a boat anchor and if I run out of ammo I could certainly beat the crap out of somebody with it!

30. End Times Clips on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

My first gun ever I bought in 2021 at 56 years old ..A p89 Ruger stainless steel

31. SoCal Choppas on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

The stainless steel P89 was my very first firearm I purchase as soon as turn the legal age. It was very accurate at long distances. I traded it in on a W. Germany Sig P226.

32. PhilWitDa45 on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Wish Ruger would tool up again for maybe an aluminum frame repro…get S&W to bring back the 3rd gens…5906,4506 and 1006…they make 1911s why not a full line up of all metal guns…I love Glocks but every man should be able to leave his family with a nice metal piece to remember him by…

33. Travis Smith on July 23, 2022 at 8:12 pm

Looking at those guns on the shelf in my youth I always thought they lacked a certain aesthetic appeal. They have grown on me and I’ve been thinking about getting one.

34. Captain America on July 23, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Excellent video. I have the P85, P85 MKII, P94, P95, & P97. All instructions are the same. Just remember to flip that ejector back up after reassembly. Thanks!

35. J Scott on July 23, 2022 at 8:16 pm

I have the P 89 DC. I got it in 1992.

36. Toney Holcombe on July 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm

They were tanks for sure. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to revive them as an apocalypse marketed sidearm. On the slide lock as a slide release, I have tiny hands and also have that issue with another classic tank – the CZ75

37. Walther502 on July 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Thanks again for the best reviews

38. esiagent1 on July 23, 2022 at 8:20 pm

The P89 is very reliable/accurate providing the shooter knows how to shoot! At one of indoor ranges the owner told that his Berettas have all broke and his Ruger just keep going and will give the Glock a good run for the money. Have Glocks and the P89 and my P89 has gone toe to toe with my Glock 17.

39. Charles Randall on July 23, 2022 at 8:20 pm

My first 9mm carried as a police officer was the P-85 .

40. A Lewis on July 23, 2022 at 8:23 pm

I bought my P89 in ’00. It’s been great, and I didn’t buy another one until 2020 (probably because I lived in Commiefornia for most of that time)
    Hogue made a grip to replace the plastic scales which greatly improves control.
    The only other change I made was adding a double spring in the slide to reduce recoil. It wasn’t typically found on most handguns back then. My Glocks, FNs and S&W all came with double springs.
    Enjoy your P89, you’ll love shooting it.

41. J N on July 23, 2022 at 8:25 pm

NIce production value. 4k is razor shapr!

42. Danny Boyd on July 23, 2022 at 8:28 pm

This one is it considered the p89dc

43. Ron Joseph on July 23, 2022 at 8:28 pm

I bought 2 new P89s (one in stainless) about 3 or 4 years apart in the early 1990s. They were very popular duty sidearms with small town police departments due to the low cost. I actually used it in my proficiency shooting exercise when I obtained my LTC recently, because it was the pistol I’m the most familiar with. I shot a 92%. I’ve considered selling one over the years but I know it’s a gun that will go to my great-grandchildren. The only issue I had was the plastic grip panels cracked and I replaced them with rubberized Hogue grips (thank goodness for large hands). I can’t ever recall a malfunction despite shooting every 9mm ammo on the market, even using crappy Promags. Ruger still makes OEM mags for the P series and I have several 33 round fairly well made Promags. If you can find them, they are going from $250-350 used depending on condition.

44. Guardian of_the_Universe on July 23, 2022 at 8:29 pm

You have good form. Arms are in a good position.

45. Midwest Speed on July 23, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Honestly i still like the P89 they were definitely reliable!

46. preacherman85379 on July 23, 2022 at 8:31 pm

I still have a P90, love that dam gun.

47. MIO PHX on July 23, 2022 at 8:31 pm

I love mine. It’s a used stainless model. It looks brand new. It came with the original box, manual, lock with key and 2 magazines and the metal magazine loader that had no mark’s on them. It is built like a tank, had a great double action pull, break is crisp and it has great reset. It shoots great! It’s a fantastic retro piece.

48. Joseph Whiskey Beale on July 23, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Good to see the old workhorse putting in the work, one of my favorite shooting pistols.

49. Augie L on July 23, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Just came upon your channel just now and i have discovered something i wasn’t familiar with, i have had for some years now my P89 DC Stainless and what is different is the Decocker and safety.
    That mechanism you have on your Blue P89 is like on (I think they call it Darker Brushed Stainless) ON My P85, but like i say on my Stainless P89 DC is just the Decocker and no actual external safety. I imagine it’s the (DC) that distinguishes that Duh. P89 VS The P89 DC.
    I’LL stay tuned. P.s I never really paid any close attention to the (P89) model type. Now i want to collect a Blued (P89) only type lol

50. Stiles Humphrey on July 23, 2022 at 8:33 pm

That thing is a beast! I remember purchasing my first firearm at Kmart! It was a Marlin lever action .22 rifle and just use it yesterday at the range!