Savage 1907 Pocket Automatic

Savage 1907 Pocket Automatic

The Savage Model 1907 gave the Colt .45 ACP 1907 a real run for the decision of the Army’s new semi-auto pistol. The Savage came in a strong second, and they forced Browning and Colt to make quite a few design improvements during the trials.

The Savage model 1907 Pocket Automatic was a scaled down version of the .45 ACP trials gun. It proved to be a very reliable, accurate pistol, that was ahead of it’s time in many ways.

In this video, we’ll look at the savage model 1907 Pocket Automatic, and we’ll look at iconic lawman Jeff Milton’s last gunfight, which was fought with a Savage Pocket Automatic.

If you enjoyed this video, please support the channel on Patreon.

1. Steve WW1 on October 22, 2022 at 9:07 pm

you have the best toys

2. G Money on October 22, 2022 at 9:09 pm

i like these vids lol

3. Todd B on October 22, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Are the Triple K magazines any good for this pistol?

4. Jonte Hayes on October 22, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Thats the pistol the guy had in road to perdition

5. Albert Bourbeau on October 22, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Good shooting. And nice gun.

6. SC Dons on October 22, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Bat Masterson was the celebrity adman for the Savage auto pistol when he was in NYC before his death. http://www.americancowboychronicles.com/2016/12/bat-masterson-lets-answer-your.html

7. Haris Khan on October 22, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I have savage 32 bore pistol…..from Pakistan

8. Joe Niccoli on October 22, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Do you think these would jam with hollow points? If not could they handle plus P?

9. Ernie Biggs on October 22, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Your estimation of how good the 45 ACP version was is greatly exaggerated. It came in second place basically because the actual second place winner which was the Luger withdrew from the trials. As did all the other contenders! Parts breakage and FTF’s were abundant.

10. Isidro alfonso Romero suarez on October 22, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Big histori

11. U.P. Woodtick on October 22, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Hello from the U.P. Of Michigan from Duelist 1952. I inherited a 1907 Savage with the family firearms several years ago.

12. Cowboy Woodard on October 22, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Good belly gun

13. Josh Chavers on October 22, 2022 at 9:26 pm

What is wrong with you sir! Don’t ever point the barrel at anything you don’t intend to kill. You should never be looking down that barrel from any angle facing towards you unless that barrel is fully stripped from that side arm and you have also first verified that the chamber was clear to begin with. Don’t take the chance. What can happen will eventually happen I’m sure someone somewhere loves your ass and doesn’t want you taking a chance of checkout out early.

14. VMAXBX on October 22, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Savage sold .45acp pistols to civilians. the ones used in the army trials were bought back by Savage and refurbished and sold to the public. About 250 in total, I think. So let’s see: the army actually compares these pistols side by side and puts them through hell, and in the end picks the colt/browning design. THEY said it’s a better design, but YOU say the opposite. Hmm. Who should I believe… I watched a Paul Harrell video that addressed this. Guys that talk up a certain gun all out of proportion, because that’s the gun THEY HAVE. Like the "just as powerful!" guy, but since its NOT a 1911 you have, then OF COURSE it’s a better design!
    (I believe the Paul Harrell video is titled "How to spot a fake expert"; watch it, and tell me if this video doesn’t apply.)

15. Ton faria meira on October 22, 2022 at 9:26 pm

I already had a 1907 in 32 caliber, I miss this beautiful weapon.

16. scoutdogfsr on October 22, 2022 at 9:27 pm

My Grandfather carried my great grandfather’s circa 1915 savage as a co pilot in a B24 during WW2. He preferred its size over the 1911 or S&W victory. I’m extremely proud to say that we still own it and the military paperwork showing its validity. Thank you Savage and thank you Lieutenant Vernon Meyerhoffer for your service. We love and miss you.

17. bwhog on October 22, 2022 at 9:27 pm

These are neat guns. I have a pair in 32ACP, showing design changes over time. Both appear to have been reworked, though, because the magazine release is upside down from original configuration (and not exactly well done to boot) and have later magazines with two holes for the catch so they can work with either configuration. Interestingly, at least one of these seems to possibly have been done by Savage. Haven’t run into a .380ACP version yet, although it’s on the list! My very, very long list… 😉

What I find really interesting about the 1907 is that it is from the era when we all were still trying to figure out what a semi-auto should look like and how everything should work. Just compare the model 1903, for example and you see the same questions. It wasn’t until Browning did the 1911 that many of the ergonomics were fixed to what we basically know now. I love that sort of history!

18. max hoyle on October 22, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Hi, Mr, Duelist, a good video! I had one of these things and only shot it 3 times, mt extra large hands got bitten badly when the slide returned to battery it sliced out a divot where the slide passed the frame! Very painfull! A couple facts about this pistol, Any article about the Browning Hi Power they try to give credit for the double stack magazine to it, Savage had it at least 20 years earlier! Smith and Wesson put basicly the same mag release on the 22a.

19. ww321 on October 22, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Dang that’s cool Mike. I have one of those too. Mine looks to be one from the French contract because it has the holes in the frame for the lanyard D ring. I’m glad I scrolled through your older videos.

20. gary K on October 22, 2022 at 9:33 pm

S&W used the same type of magazine release for the 422/622 series of pistols. I have a 422 and it is not slow to use. Works great, and it is ambidextrous.

21. Gordon Hazel on October 22, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Mike, you are dead right, they are a neat little pocket pistol. Neat set up with no screws. I did not realise they were in .45 a contender for your army contract finally won by he Colt 1911. Enjoyed the review.

22. cleekmaker00 on October 22, 2022 at 9:35 pm

In Road to Perdition, the ‘fixer’ Harlan Maguire used one of these pistols.

23. 12dougreed on October 22, 2022 at 9:36 pm

Very dangerous pistol in inexperienced hand’s
    My friend and I were on leave from the army after returning from Borneo.
    We had a collection of pistols John had just acquired a savage auto .32. John had received for his birthday a beautiful leather shoulder holster. We were at our normal place out on the cliffs next to a German bunker from ww2
    We used to hide our targets under a large rock
    John had the savage in the shoulder holster
    When he bent down to lift the rock , the savage fell out, it fell on the striker and went off
    The bullet passed through his coat just under his arm. Lucky. As you can imagine the feeling we had after being months in confrontation with Indonesians in the jungle without a scratch
    But the closest you come to death is though
    Inexperience with a strange weapon at home

24. Yael Cervantes on October 22, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Cómo puedo conseguir un cargador para una 32

25. truckr74 on October 22, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Damn it I want one. Thanks Mike

26. Chocolate Milk on October 22, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for the story but it’s not story it’s what happened!

27. Jim Drake on October 22, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Arthur Savage was one of the very few designers and manufacturers who had very little prior experience with firearms before becoming involved in the design of this remarkable semi-automatic pistol.

28. Gary Milstead on October 22, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Very entertaining video, thanks!

29. Taylor Rhodes on October 22, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Great informational video as always sir!……and people try to say .32 auto &
    .380 are anemic mousegun calibers lol. The doctrine nowadays seems to preach bigger is always better, which can be true to a certain extent sometimes I suppose, however, a well-practiced accurate shooter can easily stop someone with a well placed .32 acp and/or .380…..just because they’re small doesn’t mean they’re not potent or not lethal, far from the truth…factory ammo in .32 acp & .380 acp can be a little watered down at times (especially .32), so I can see why people might turn to 9mm,
    .40 s&w, .45 acp, etc, but properly loaded, hotter .32 acp/.380 such as the extreme cavitator, extreme penetrator, certain fiocchi, and buffalo bore are more than adequate to get the job done.

30. Igors Stepanovs on October 22, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Какой милый малыш☝️☺️

31. Tilled on October 22, 2022 at 9:45 pm

i recently inheritited one of these, it was thee only gun left from his collection by the time he passed away. Gave me a whole new understanding of the pistol my grandfather charised so much

32. Cemalettin Ilter on October 22, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Aynısı var bende değerlendirmek isterim takas şeklinde meraklısı varsa 👍👍

33. VMAXBX on October 22, 2022 at 9:46 pm

One more thing: this hero of yours "jeff"; you talk about him using his 1907 in his "last gunfight", but then go on to say that he shot an unarmed man in the back after yelling "halt" at 100 yards. In my book that hero is a scumbag. The guy was on foot and ol jeff was driving. He could have overtaken him easily, but instead chose to stop short of the man and shoot him in the back. A coward move in my book.

34. Michael Brooker on October 22, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Mine has a very stiff recoil spring which makes setting the striker/hammer difficult, a real thumb buster.

35. CALL OF THE WILL MAN on October 22, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Was Tom horn not re captured because he didn’t know how to use his stolen 1907?

36. Rev Marcell on October 22, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Ten Shots Quick & It Banishes Fear were slogans used in their advertising campaign. The French bought thousands of the 07 Savage. It was intended a hotter version of 7.65 x 17 round. The French used these into the 1950s. In WW2 they were the sidearm of the Paris police. It’s still a fine pistol.

37. Richard Thorn on October 22, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Great presentation very informative.

38. Redstrife1 on October 22, 2022 at 9:49 pm

My mother in law gave me her 1907 but I can’t safely fire it until I can find a new safety catch spring, ejector and safety catch. When you pull the trigger (I have never fired it, they did over 40 years ago) the firearm will go full auto. So I just keep it locked up until the one day I am able to repair it.😢

39. Nico Belisle on October 22, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Love all your vids, thank you.

40. jlthe archer on October 22, 2022 at 9:50 pm

My history degree and I love the recounting of Milton’s last shooting. Haha

41. The Hall Report on October 22, 2022 at 9:53 pm

You said you were going to tell us about it then do some shooting but you started shooting before you told us about it.. Not at you though LOL… Nice vid

42. bobobash1 on October 22, 2022 at 9:53 pm

I have one of these how much do they go for if I was to sale??

43. jon doe on October 22, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Who else though the thumbnail was Hickok45 at first glance

44. Rafael Bucio Jr. on October 22, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Where can I find more info on Jeff Milton.

45. Mick on October 22, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Not sure about the 1907 but if you engage the safety while pulling slide back on the 1917 it will hold the slide opened. Problem is you can’t do it when shooting.

46. Mr. Zafner on October 22, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Well done, sir

47. Thomas Rees on October 22, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Thanks for the video. I just inherited one of these from my Grandfather. Its still in great shape and was thinking about taking it out to do some plinking here soon. Is there any recommendations on ammo or would regular target rounds be fine to put through it?

48. ANON EXPECT US on October 22, 2022 at 10:02 pm

So we won’t tell the world how the gun has a cool feature the barrel spins inside the gun to help it chamber the round easier

49. Stephen Addair on October 22, 2022 at 10:04 pm