SIG Sauer 516 Upper – The AK-Reliable AR-15

SIG Sauer 516 Upper – The AK-Reliable AR-15

AmmoLand.com editor Jim Grant shows off his favorite piston AR upper – the SIG 516. This ultra-reliable AR upper eats carbon and steel-cased ammo for breakfast!

Read More:

#jimgrant #ammoland #ammolandnews #SigSauer #gunreviews

1. Sky Diver on November 30, 2022 at 10:00 pm

I bought the Sig 516 when it first came out. I love this rifle. I put a Nikon scope on it and it’s just all kinds of fun.
    I also bought the S&W M&P Sport and put a red dot on that and to be honest I like the Sig better because it’s just cleaner.
    The Sig 516 is a short stroke piston and the S&W Sport is Direct impingement.

2. Chris Modz on November 30, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Where can you find this upper?

3. bronzeguy on November 30, 2022 at 10:11 pm

1:35 You’re better off going with the Midwest Industries m-lok handguard for the 516. It’s better, cheaper, and not a royal pain in the ass to install like the Lancer handguard.

4. NoVa JB on November 30, 2022 at 10:13 pm

I have 2 of these uppers and they are fantastic. I just wish the rail was a bit longer, trying to fit an IR laser/light and dedicated white light is a bit cramped.
    Midwest Industries also sells a m-lok rail that’s cheaper than the lancer.

5. Michael Pereira on November 30, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Look into the Caracal Car816 for a modern piston AR that has been battle proven. Oh yeah, the designers were with the HK 416 team but were tasked with making an updated rifle.

6. Dee on November 30, 2022 at 10:19 pm

Midwest industries makes a nice hand guard.

7. George Washington on November 30, 2022 at 10:21 pm

I much prefer this over the mcx

8. curtis assc on November 30, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Ill take the reg Sig 516 patrol gen2 over that crap Hk 416 any day, which jams, has random malfunctions etc occasionally …But Often!,Sig has Never Malfunctioned. Period!. Want super precision? get the Romeo hunter 4h with 1.moa accuracy just like Eotechs B.s w/ out their recall shit with temp, and the Juliet 4x and your now have more precision than any other piston ar on the market, and even out shoots and performs better than Daneiel Defence, piston or g.i. This is the only time I bought Sig stuff, no other gear. Not a Fan Boy, just experience and training.

9. Zed Hiro on November 30, 2022 at 10:23 pm

As much as I like sig, I have a problem with them letting the public beta test their guns, updating the design not telling anyone, and arbitrarily discontinuing their firearms.

10. Moe Hamdan on November 30, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Mid west industries makes one Mi 516 Mx . Just found out about it . Came out after I put on lancer carbon .

11. Kevin W on November 30, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Can’t believe I paid for a LWRC FA bcg instead I could just take the Wolf a1 BCG

12. CH3CKS UND3AD on November 30, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Sig doesn’t keep anything around for long. As much as I love their stuff, that’s a pain in the ass.
    They should bring back the p250, and update it, I still love mine

13. Matthew Harris on November 30, 2022 at 10:30 pm

Also this gun was designed by the same guy who came up with the Sig 556, Sig MPX and Sig MCX. Hes the modern Stoner.

14. kerryB on November 30, 2022 at 10:32 pm

I bought one a couple months back and it has really been such a reliable tack driver, I am an AK guy, but the sig 516 has me sold on the AR platform I couldn’t be happier with my set up. great video!

15. txgtofan on November 30, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Test the Caracal 816A2!!!

16. MrShtbrick on November 30, 2022 at 10:40 pm

I own 5 direct impingement uppers, none of which had problems with steel cased ammo.

17. Phil T on November 30, 2022 at 10:42 pm

Picked one up during the Trump slump ended up flipping it and eventually coming out ahead with horse trading, already had an lwrc ic-a5. For piston ARs the chamber and bcg look like low round count despite going thru 1000s of rounds. I think aim surplus had them for 6 bills, should have bought some spares and put them on fuddbroker, “ I know what I got sonny boy”

18. Robert Haring on November 30, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I bought my 516 a about 2&1/2 years ago and I couldn’t be more pleased . It had a few simple items added for customization plenty of rounds and no hiccups

19. Matthew Harris on November 30, 2022 at 10:45 pm

Bolt carriers are already FA. Not sure what you’re referring too. The FA carrier was one of the bonuses of it being cooler than the MR556 which does not. Ran my shorty on an SOT registered lower and it ran like a champ.

20. Patriot8x2 on November 30, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Gas piston setting in recommended first setting always fails to feed rounds properly.
    Double feed.
    In #2 position work every time but Sig says its for more adverse conditions and not recommended to be used always on it.
    So do I get a lighter buffer spring?

21. ihurricane7 on November 30, 2022 at 10:48 pm

The LWRC piston bolt carrier groups work as well

22. Freedom By Me Homesteading on November 30, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Any good AR is at least as reliable as an AK, any model. And the AR is far, far more reliable in muddy or sandy conditions. Edge goes to the AK in extreme cold frozen conditions.
    Too many real world tests on youtube now for anyone to even try to dispute it.

23. Dr Seuss on November 30, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Excellent, make the 716 7.62/.308 with a bolt lock down feature and release back into selector, try making light steel and polymer rounds

24. rockerdude8000 on November 30, 2022 at 10:54 pm

i wish sig still made 516s

25. John Roper on November 30, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Every time I think about getting an AR here comes another one. By the way, that M16 flash hider is probably older than both of us.

26. Jacob M on November 30, 2022 at 10:56 pm

So I can use a Wolf T91 BCG? And how are you supposed to use a PWS BCG if it’s a long stroke piston?