Smith & Wesson 442 / 642 Revolver – How To Make The Best Pocket EDC * PITD

Smith & Wesson 442 / 642 Revolver – How To Make The Best Pocket EDC * PITD

Smith & Wesson 442 / 642 Revolver – How To Make The Best Pocket EDC
A descriptive overview of the #SmithWesson 442 and 642 38sp Pocket Revolver. Covering basic specs and suggestions for creating the perfect EDC #JFrame Revolver.
* Spring Kits
* Aftermarket Grips
* Dry Fire and Trigger Control
Please leave any suggestions on managing this snappy concealed carry revolver in the comments below.
This is an ongoing series of descriptive videos detailing firearms and field stripping for the visually impaired. You can check out the full playlist:

YouTube player

Also check out my Blind Challenge Playlist:

YouTube player

If you have any suggestions, questions or concerns please leave them below. Thanks for watching and make it an outstanding day!

***
I am a proud American, blessed father, a staunch 2A activist and a Marine Corps Veteran that just happens to be 100% blind.
This is a look at the Second Amendment, firearms, self Defense, Constitutionally protected rights, Liberty and Freedom from the perspective of a Visually Impaired, Blind American.
#PatriotInTheDark

If you like what you seen here, please consider showing your support on Patreon:
Also check out our Spreadshirt Shop for Swag:

Also find us here:

PatriotInTheDark@gmail.com

#NeverFearTheDark

Disclaimer: No purchase necessary, must abide by all state and federal laws. Void where prohibited. No Puppies or sighted people were hurt during the filming of these videos.

1. dcselwitz on August 21, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Excellent…thank you. Just for clarity is this a Smith 442 (SKU 150544)? Thinking of purchasing this exact model and I know Smith has many variants of the 442. Thank you in advance Sir. Thank you for posting sharing. (-Dave from CT)

2. randall bryant on August 21, 2022 at 8:09 pm

I’m glad You Changed the Grips..Every REVOLVER Needs Some kind of HOGUE Three Finger Grip on it…I don’t know What these Gun Companies are Thinking..But they need to put THREE FINGER HOGUE GRIPS ON ALL the REVOLVERS…Please !! GOSH DAMNIT !!!🤟💥💥👍

3. Colt10mm Security on August 21, 2022 at 8:10 pm

I carry a j-frame for police on-duty back up. I also carry a speed loader for it on my Sam brown. Been carrying that way since 1991 when I first started with the heavier 640. Then they came out with the Airweight 642 and I switched. Still going with that carry option. I find wheel guns are more reliable as pocket guns becasue no matter how dirty they get, they’ll work better than a semi auto buried in the pocket with lint and such.

4. Jason Ashley on August 21, 2022 at 8:10 pm

I carry a 637 that I keep speer gold dot short barrel or Corbon DPX in, I feel safe.

5. David Branscome on August 21, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Ten pounds is way too much, good way to get a hernia. 😅

6. Old Cop on August 21, 2022 at 8:11 pm

I’ve been carrying some sort of J Frame since 1968 and they can be difficult to shoot. I try and get to the range once a month and put a box of 50 rounds through my 340PD. This is an expert’s gun and requires regular range visits. If a new shooter buys one of these I’d suggest getting some formal training w/it, AND make sure the trainer is familiar w/the J Frame.

7. Bruce D on August 21, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Bought this last year, first revolver purchase.. very light and small and easy to wear with shorts. Although I did change the grip, much better I feel than the stock grip.

8. Matthew Robinson on August 21, 2022 at 8:14 pm

First, thank you for your service. In June, 2014 I purchased my 442, intending to carry it in summer, and go back to my M & P Shield 9 mm in the Fall. That’s over 6 years ago, and I still haven’t gone back to carrying a semi-auto. it took me about 3 or 4 boxes of ammo to start being proficient with it. Also, tons of dry firing. S & W customer service suggested putting a drop or two of oil down the hole where the trigger comes out of the frame, and dry firing a couple of hundred times. That really helped. Also, I changed out the grips for a set of the old-style classic wood service stocks. That enabled me to get a better purchase on the gun. I prefer carrying outside the waist, in a leather paddle holster (I like the 1791 Gun Leather holster), at about the 2 O’clock position. In my opinion, small or medium frame revolvers chambered in .38 Special are the best self-defense handguns one can own.

9. Juan Montoya on August 21, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Need advice I want a lightweight concealable firearm done research and finally came down too these two a sw 442 and a keltec p32 so would you rather a 5 shot 38 special or a 8 shot 32acp ??

10. Nomad 75 on August 21, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Such a lovable little carry gun

11. Carlos Martinez on August 21, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Nice revolver i’m also legally blind I want to get my FSC fire arm test
    I live in LA
    I hope you could help me maybe you have a friend in this area
    This is my email
    kg6bbm@gmail.com
    Nice video

12. The Downtrodden on August 21, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Yeah definitely put the Apex Trigger kit in it also a little bit of white and bright orange fingernail polish on the front sight helps a lot

13. Matthew Robinson on August 21, 2022 at 8:17 pm

When I first bought my 442 back in June 2014, I called Smith and Wesson with a question, and the gentleman I spoke with told me to put a couple drops of gun oil in the hole where the trigger comes out the frame, and than dry fire it a couple hundred times. I tried it, and it worked amazingly well. Also, I replaced the polymer grips with a set of the classic wood service grips that leave both the front & back straps fully exposed. Doing this enabled me to get a much more comfortable and mechanically efficient purchase on the gun, lowering the bore axis noticably, by placing my hand higher up on the gun.

14. Tyler Stork on August 21, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Great video thanks. I bought one the other day because I’m lazy and don’t feel like carrying my 9mm subcompact all the time. Too much hassle. But I never leave the house without my snub nose. No matter what I’m wearing it goes with me.

15. x.adam1 . . . on August 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm

My advice would be to practice a quick point and shoot routine. It’s a short revolver so hand placement and quick grip I think are important. Accuracy has to be decent but at close range I think an efficient and safe draw is huge. Especially when it comes to finger placement. If you’re shooting a similar J frame with 357 mag a solid grip will ensure that you shoot well and that your gun doesn’t go flying out of your hand.

16. TwentyFifth DUI on August 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Factory grips are horrible. S&W has not figured out that sharp edges and bare metal at the top of backstrap will break a thumb. Plus the grips shift your grip to bring web of hand directly into contact with those sharp metal edges. However, I experimented and found that inexpensive wood grips available online still keep a slim profile and work much better. The 2 piece wood grips you will find still leave those sharp edges exposed but by eliminating the finger grooves they shift your grip back and away from those metal corners. Works great now even with heavy loads.

17. Steven Lundgrin on August 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Excellent review. What is the difference between the S&W 442 and 642, other than the barrel finish? Is one better than the other for EDC?

18. Bill L on August 21, 2022 at 8:21 pm

1 2 3 4 I Love The Marine Corps

19. AlphaRomeo-OneFive on August 21, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Awesome little revolver 👍

20. Dee EM on August 21, 2022 at 8:24 pm

I was so in love with the 642 I bought a second one and I carry them EVERYWHERE, I also keep a sawed off mossberg in my trunk

21. mrmicro22 on August 21, 2022 at 8:26 pm

Thanks, Marine.

22. Scott F. on August 21, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Great little pocket carry and seen your new outro there as looking good….Good stuff….

23. keving52002 on August 21, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I like that pistol I’m in the market for one currently and I’ve noticed that after the pandemic the prices of those particular pistols went up by at least a hundred bucks. I still would like to have one but I’m not sure if the prices will drop if this thing clears up soon.

24. ramjet on August 21, 2022 at 8:36 pm

crimson trace grips. Larger handhold, and quick on target.

25. Patriot In The Dark on August 21, 2022 at 8:38 pm

What advice would you give someone having issues managing or getting proficient with a firearm? Please leave any suggestions below.
    make it an outstanding day!

26. Mike F on August 21, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Lol feeling every chamber to confirm clear?Come on.

27. josiah mamma on August 21, 2022 at 8:40 pm

the exact moment Walter White became Heisenberg

28. Jeff Schultz on August 21, 2022 at 8:41 pm

I have the M&P340PD and love it! It’s my go anywhere pocket gun off duty and I keep it in my weak side cargo pocket as a back up gun at work. I installed the Apex spring kit and highly recommend it. The trigger pulls smoothly to a nice wall where you can hold it staged, then it’s a crisp break of an additional few pounds. I do recommend spending the extra dough on the 340PD simply to get the replaceable front sight. The XS Big Dot it comes with is great. On a good day, I have rung 8” steel for a full five rounds at ~35yards with 148gr LWC. I carry the Federal HSTs in the cylinder and the Hornady 110FTX as my reload.

29. Angry Santa on August 21, 2022 at 8:41 pm

They are for “up close and dirty”, the triggers are tough but you want that long hard double action pull for it’s purpose. I wouldn’t mess with different springs and or trigger jobs. Do that in your target shooting revolvers. Plus if you ever are in a public defensive shooting you don’t want them knowing you changed triggers to a “hair trigger”, it’s another reason I like the shrouded hammer it keeps you from cocking the hammer which is also a big no no in a defensive shooting! 👌

30. The Left Handed Shooter on August 21, 2022 at 8:43 pm

31. Larry Velasquez on August 21, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Got my 442 Performance Center a few months back. It goes everywhere with me. Amazing feel and shoots great.

32. Fransisco Villa on August 21, 2022 at 8:44 pm

You forgot to finger check the chamber.

33. Dallas DautermanDallas on August 21, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Got the trigger lightened on my 642, which along with painting the front sight makes it a fine shooter indeed. I shoot it best at 25ft or less but can hit a basketball at 25yds 8or9 times out of 10…plenty good enough to suit me.

34. JSmunitions on August 21, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Put some nail polish on the front sight. A bright color like orange works best or even white. It helps to provide contrast and pick up the sights faster.

35. PowerPunchingSecrets.com on August 21, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Good video. The 442 is next on my list. I swapped my model 638 grips out for a pair of CTC laser…perfect when you don’t have the luxury of time to line up your sights. The bad guy may question your aim but rarely the red dot on his chest.

36. Rick Metzler on August 21, 2022 at 8:51 pm

I think like many buying this firearm, it is a back-up piece for me.

The release on this thing just tears up my thumb knuckle worse than any handgun I’ve ever shot and I’ve been shooting for 45 years.

With that said, I’m gonna grip it how I grip it so the only modification other than changing the release that’s a possibility is the consideration of a longer set of grips but even then, something needs to be done with the release.

I’ve heard of folks softening the edges of it, etc. so I thought I’d check in here to see everyone’s thoughts, opinions, ideas and experience with something that I’m sure I’m not alone on.

Thanks in advance for any energy you can throw my way on this.

37. Jonn Doe on August 21, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Just a quick suggestion….they make an 8rnd speed strip now I carry 2 In a small cell phone pouch basically 3 reloads for my 5-shot revolver( not that I think I’ll need It) just turned out that the pouch would hold 2.

38. Rodney Peters on August 21, 2022 at 8:54 pm

great video, a J-frame is my EDC

39. happy haunter_55 on August 21, 2022 at 8:56 pm

I adore my 442; mine’s completely stock, but I came here looking for new grips only because speedloaders won’t quite clear the factory grips, and that is my ONLY complaint.

40. Jay Pitargue IInd on August 21, 2022 at 8:56 pm

Lol, you should also stick your finger in the forcing cone.. Love this gun, it’s a more than capable gun!!! Apex, has the spring kit for $25, it includes the firing pin, two main springs and a spring for the firing pin..

41. VitoEb1978 on August 21, 2022 at 9:02 pm

A few things that I’ve learned over the years is that carrying a small J frame is that bullet weight is very important. My model 940 weighs 23 ounces/1 pound 7 OZ’s so the 115 Gr JHP standard pressure ammunition is what I’ve become very efficient with. So with a Airweight 38 Special weighting 15-17 ounces a 110/125 Gr JHP would be easier to control and provide faster fellow up shots . Using +P’s 110/125 will require more practice because those loading’s will have more recoil. Velocity is King but shot placement is Queen.

42. Alex Ivan Milian on August 21, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Thanks!

43. Jamie Martin on August 21, 2022 at 9:03 pm

I love my 642. I want to get some black pearl grips for it

44. Lenny Brewster on August 21, 2022 at 9:05 pm

All you gotta do is stage that trigger and find where it’s about to break (it’ll become obvious eventually). That’s where you steady your aim and pull back just a bit more and get that bullet where you want it to go. Add some crimson trace laser grips and the gun becomes very manageable and fast more accurate using that laser. The JM4 tactical holsters are perfect for these. Buy one and you won’t use anything else.

45. Clayton County History Hound on August 21, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Nice, I like the new outro. As far as someone having trouble with proficiency, find someone that knows what they are doing and have them watch you shoot. Its amazing what they may see and help you correct it. Over 30 years my shooting scores slowly dropped. I blamed it on age and my eyesight getting worse. I had an instructor watch me shoot and he pointed out my trigger pull/finger placement. I knew better but somehow a bad habit creeped into my shooting. It took alot of going to the range and shooting to correct that bad muscle memory. I’m shooting like I did 25 years ago lol. Don’t be to proud to ask for help and to stubborn to change. Take care.