S&W Model 640 .38 Special

S&W Model 640 .38 Special

Shooting and Showing an all-steel S&W Model 640 .38 Special.
A big thanks to The Gun Parlor in Worcester, MA:
——————- ———————— Please check out and support the people who help make this channel possible: BUD’s GUN SHOP, FEDERAL PREMIUM, SONORAN DESERT INSTITUTE, SILENCER CENTRAL, TALON GRIPS, & BALLISTOL: http://www.hickok45.com/supporters/
Become a Gong Club member at our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/hickok45
Federal Premium: http://www.federalpremium.com/
SDI (Sonoran Desert Institute): http://www.sdi.edu/
Talon Grips: https://talongungrips.com/
Ballistol: https://ballistol.com/
ALSO, ALL our videos are on GunStreamer.com:
The short FAQ Videos playlist will answer most questions you have:

YouTube player

Find us on Hickok45 Twitter and Facebook, as well as “therealHickok45” on Instagram.

NOTE: All shooting in our videos is done by professional shooters for instructional and entertainment purposes, with an emphasis on safety and responsible gun ownership. Do not attempt to copy at home anything you see in our videos. Firearms can be extremely dangerous if not used safely.

1. Michpatriot on December 22, 2022 at 12:48 am

158gr that’s why…

2. Abel Waite on December 22, 2022 at 12:49 am

Love how he said Worcester

3. squrtcap on December 22, 2022 at 12:50 am

My 640 no dash is my first handgun purchase over 20 years ago, and still shooting like new. I never felt under defense with it and the Seecamp .32 mouse gun as backup.

4. Law Dogg on December 22, 2022 at 12:50 am

When I was working for the sheriff back in the early 80s I carried the model 36 in an ankle holster. Carried it for many years. As a matter fact I still have it.I like all your videos. Thank you.

5. Captain America America on December 22, 2022 at 12:51 am

THE TRUSTY 38′! REVOLVER! HAS SAVED MORE PEOPLE THAN ANY! 😄😄🔫🔫🔫

6. Jamie Martin on December 22, 2022 at 12:52 am

I pocket carry my. .38 a lot in summer

7. M E on December 22, 2022 at 12:52 am

Just picked up a used Smith 640-3 in .357 at the LGS.
    I slready have a Ruger LCR in .357 that I just love.
    Seeing the Smith.. i just had to have it.
    Perma-grin.

8. Stephen Sheldahl on December 22, 2022 at 12:52 am

When u shoot cowboy I seen the bullets hit

9. Galfridus on December 22, 2022 at 12:55 am

Absolutely love my 640 Pro .357 (and all other S&Ws) Light enough for comfort, but heavy enough to tame magnum rounds.

10. James Senos on December 22, 2022 at 12:55 am

Hi Hickok45 … Terrific job and always enjoy & appreciate the excellent work that you offer on several important topics! Also, it would be great if you can do a new video covering the Smith & Wesson 640 Pro Series Revolver (178044) … Thanks!

11. Phil Doherty on December 22, 2022 at 12:58 am

👍

12. glenn sammon on December 22, 2022 at 12:58 am

I have one of the origanal M640s in 38 special that says tested for +p+ inside the cylinder window. absolutely love this gun. wish S&W would just bring it back instead of the magnum version.

13. Sue Deer on December 22, 2022 at 12:59 am

14. Idea Called Freedom on December 22, 2022 at 12:59 am

“I’ve been neglecting that cowboy on the left, let’s give him some attention.” *shoots him 5 times in the crotch*
    LOL

15. ILike JelloYAY on December 22, 2022 at 1:00 am

I just grabbed a 640-3 in 357 used. Very cool.

16. Bob Horne on December 22, 2022 at 1:00 am

I put Craig Spegel Cocobolo Grips on my J-Frames! I’ve been to the gun parlor. I live on Cape Cod, MA.

17. บุญพิทักษ์ ขันกสิกรรม on December 22, 2022 at 1:01 am

Hero of Vietnam

18. Michael Nolan on December 22, 2022 at 1:01 am

Had one back in the last century. Fun to shoot because it’s heavy. Not fun to carry. My Sig P-365 is lighter with 10+1 of 9mm.

19. Deaf Smith on December 22, 2022 at 1:02 am

Of all the J’s. … the 640 38 is my favorite. First CCW gun I had here in Texas was (and I still have it) a 640 I had a red insert front sight installed and Eagle Secret Service stocks. Yea I pack a Sig P365 now days in the snubby roll (IWB holster) but… I won’t fret if all I have is my 640 (but then I’d have my shotgun to!)

20. none none on December 22, 2022 at 1:02 am

This gun can handle .38 +p and hot .357 loads. This is important to know and why to get an all steel revolver.

The other reason. These slightly heavier guns are far more accurate than lighter guns, especially when shooting multiple rounds.

21. Francis Kowalsky on December 22, 2022 at 1:02 am

I have one of those in 357-38. I really like that gun. S&W makes really nice guns! Another Great Video Hickok! Nice!!!

22. Mark K on December 22, 2022 at 1:05 am

Perfect for a reliable backup. No maintenance or hammer to snag on a pocket.

23. monada King on December 22, 2022 at 1:05 am

I am addicted of watching your videos. 24/7

24. 1314 on December 22, 2022 at 1:08 am

HELP! If I get a snub nose revolver S&W 640 and use .38+p rounds, will it handle recoil better than an S&W 642? I intend to Concealed carry this and am wondering if this plan is viable?
    Thanks

25. Jr nu mex on December 22, 2022 at 1:08 am

;42 ‘circled back" uncle joe’s press secretary on many questions

26. Andy Pettit on December 22, 2022 at 1:09 am

You can’t beat a wheel gun!!!

27. Thomas Nelson on December 22, 2022 at 1:09 am

This centennial pistol not good for me becauce very ugly o unpleasant because not hammer. Not good me

28. randall bryant on December 22, 2022 at 1:13 am

Great !!! Can You please tell SMITH & WESSON TO PUT THREE FINGER HOGUE GRIPS ON THE 642, 637, & THE BODYGUARD, & ALL OF THE REVOLVERS..GOSH DAMNIT !!!💥👍💥

29. pt7941 on December 22, 2022 at 1:13 am

Shout out to the Gun Parlor!

30. L.A. Commander on December 22, 2022 at 1:14 am

I have a 642 and love this revolver it’s my EDC. I put some Hogue round butt rubber monogrips and now I can fire this gun all day long at the range with no problems. I can also grip the gun a whole lot better in an emergency too. Much better self defense gun with these grips on! I highly recommend them to anyone with this revolver or any other super lightweight revolver with an inadequate factory grip.

31. Jon-Mackenzie Thompson on December 22, 2022 at 1:15 am

Hickock45, what revolver would you recommend as a new concealed carry?

32. Patrick Kem on December 22, 2022 at 1:15 am

Be a descent bedroom night stand protector.
    That’s all I got.

33. Harold Davis on December 22, 2022 at 1:16 am

They’re Special.
    In fact they’re 38 Special 😆
    😂 And then he gives Kentucky a hard time 😆

34. Mongo556 on December 22, 2022 at 1:18 am

I carry a 642 as a BUG still today. It’s either my BUG at work or the gun I carry when I’m “unarmed”. Throw a couple speed strips on your pocket as you’re not really armed but you aren’t unarmed either haha. My 642 was the first handgun I ever bought when I was 21 as an EDC. It was used and came with a Crimson Trace Laser. That was 11 years ago. Still serves me well.

35. Goldenberg Construction on December 22, 2022 at 1:20 am

Why is carrying one in the chamber, cocked and locked any different than cocking the hammer when you pull the weapon in a situation? Both are the same act done in different moments with the same intent, are they not. Respectfully, T.

36. David Harris on December 22, 2022 at 1:22 am

Have you noticed in the trigger, pulling the trigger back you can feel a notch or a small catch that you can use as a holding point just before it lets go. It gives you a hair trigger like effect.

37. Danny Smith on December 22, 2022 at 1:22 am

Keep my 38 spl. In a holster & in a locked toolbox. 6 banger. 🔫

38. john smith on December 22, 2022 at 1:22 am

Do you know if these can shoot +P Ammo?

39. Daniel Fuentes on December 22, 2022 at 1:23 am

GOTHAM

40. august smith on December 22, 2022 at 1:30 am

Love this old man … he’s the real deal

41. Steve Hoffman on December 22, 2022 at 1:31 am

That 640 barrel looks a bit dinky compared to my 1996 version. I guess in ’96 the .38 version was dropped and the .357 version came in, with +P.. Beautiful little gun. Never had to fire mine in defense but I’m sure it can do the job.

42. Chris Y. on December 22, 2022 at 1:33 am

Well, I bought a 640 Pro. Awesome hand gun. Traded a Sig 938 for it. Semi-autos for self defense are great when you listen to a marketer. But in reality, if you are worried about defending yourself, get a revolver.

43. Ryan Moore on December 22, 2022 at 1:34 am

This video is as spot on as it gets. Ive owned all the glocks involved and the 642 and the 642 is like carrying a wallet and with the Hogue grips its a very accurate little sidearm.

44. Steve Vecc on December 22, 2022 at 1:36 am

whats the barrel length on that 640?

45. Melos berisha on December 22, 2022 at 1:36 am

i have one this gun, and im so happy for this, its litle gun but its perfect

46. Michael Schaffer on December 22, 2022 at 1:40 am

Sure revolvers carry less ammo. Sure revolvers are slower to reload. But they shoot well inside the pocket. They don’t go out of battery in a hands on entanglement. They work great inside a vehicle. Statistically the 5 or 6 round cargo will be adequate. I won’t let my revolvers bully my semiautomatics too much but the semiautomatics know they are inferior in some ways.

47. S L on December 22, 2022 at 1:41 am

I bought mine when it first came out in 1990 and it is marked +P+. I can send you a pic.

48. Kenneth Hamby on December 22, 2022 at 1:43 am

Have owned,bought,traded many colts and smiths, but my mod 640 sticks.

49. cmoran8195 on December 22, 2022 at 1:43 am

Have you used 110 grain in the 640 airweight? On the revolver it says not to use less than 120 grain? I have 110 grain ammo and I don’t want to throw it out

50. gutfinski on December 22, 2022 at 1:45 am

The original Centennials, Models 40 and 42, actually had grip safeties which could be deactivated by locking them down with a pin that could be accessed with the grips removed. The Centennials, being a true “double action only,” unlike the Bodyguards which could be fired single action, did not require a “hammer block” as found in other S&W revolvers. This meant one less part to move inside the action and consequently a slightly smoother DA trigger pull.