The Best Swiss Pilot Watches $1000 to $4000: Fortis, IWC, Bell & Ross, Oris, & Breitling

Today’s video is somewhat of an aviation extravaganza! Not only do I review 5 watches, but I discuss the history of pilot watches and how they evolved, as well as taking you behind the scenes at the legendary Reno Air Races in Nevada!

Join me for a closer look at the best Swiss made pilot watches from $1000 to $4000. We also talk to world champion air race pilot Pete Zaccagnino, peek inside the Thunder Mustang P-51 planes, and enjoy some of the coolest aircraft ever made.

Included in this video are the following watches:
– IWC Pilot watch (ref. IW324002 36mm)
– Breitling Navitimer 806
– Breitling Cosmonaute (ref. A123232)
– Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (40mm/red dial ref. 0175477414068-0752050)
– Bell & Ross BR 126 Original (ref. BRV126BLSTSST)
– Fortis Official Cosmonaut AMADEE-18 Chronograph (ref. 638.18.91 LP.10)
+ my own vintage 38mm Fortis Cosmonaut (ISS Limited Edition)

Check out The Urban Gentry Amazon page here for items featured in my videos. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.:

To get your watch or Gentry related questions answered and engage with some of the community beyond YouTube, join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1503241666636531/

To follow the official Urban Gentry Instagram click here: https://www.instagram.com/theurbangentrychannel/

Thank you for watching The Urban Gentry channel, home of the #wristwatchcheck ! Check out my other videos for more watch and lifestyle content.

To purchase a Fortis, click here:

To purchase the watches featured, check them out at Watchbox here:

1. YeCannyDaeThat on October 19, 2022 at 9:03 pm

No Alpina!? Shock!

2. Clodomir on October 19, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Please don’t put the image of a mig in the miniature as the swiss don’t have this kind of plane in their inventory. Thanks

3. Robert Heggie on October 19, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Go

4. Jacob Phelps on October 19, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Hi, I love your videos

I need some advice
    I am new to the watch game and am looking at purchasing an Orient Bambino. I would like to put a different band on it when I get it. I know it is a no no to put a wrong size band on a watch, but as you know it is a little more difficult to find a size 21 mm watch band. I have already found a band that I think would look lovely on the Bambino but it only comes in a size 20 mm. Is it the end of the world if I put a size 20 mm band on a size 21 mm lug width?

5. Steven Freeman on October 19, 2022 at 9:06 pm

How about the Longjines avigation big eye?.

6. Martin Hudaszek on October 19, 2022 at 9:09 pm

Hi. I really like your videos. What a great job. I would like to know, what do you think about watch brands like Favre-Leuba or Revue Thommen? I m interested in. Thank you for your response.

7. Phillip Gatelein on October 19, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Where to grab a Fortis shirt ?? Very cool.

8. Akshay kumar on October 19, 2022 at 9:13 pm

This might be a little different but i cant help but to share ti with you.
    Whats the watch Martin Scorsese is wearing? i have saved the timestamp in the exact moment, its looks really cool.

Its at 4:47

9. Sci-Fi Guy on October 19, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Being an Alien fan, have you seen the new book “Alien the blueprints”.

10. Adam Rassi on October 19, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Does anyone else recognize the background music? The same as @ireviewwatches’ outro, or am I crazy?

11. Valkyrie on October 19, 2022 at 9:16 pm

Is that a fortis catalog? If not what is it and where can I find one?

12. Matthew Whittington on October 19, 2022 at 9:16 pm

Like what we saw

13. C C on October 19, 2022 at 9:17 pm

Hi love your show But HATE your Nato straps. It just cheapens the watch. So much better on steel or leather. Just my opion of course people or going to disagree but im sure plenty of people feel that way also. But as long as you like it then Cheers thats all that matters.

14. Victor Mantovani Cinesi on October 19, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Great to see you talk a bit about Santos Dumont! Cheers from Brazil! 🇧🇷

15. kevhun1 on October 19, 2022 at 9:18 pm

To be absolutely fair the glycine airman and combat sub are great and should be on the list. They are fantastic can’t in this price range if your being honest. I have a older and new version both are great

16. Andrew Smith on October 19, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Great video as usual tgv.top notch top notch!!….

17. camaro Carl on October 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Great job as usual TGB. BTW it’s pronounced STED not steed, Old Man. Looking forward to the next one. Cheers.

18. Night Knight on October 19, 2022 at 9:24 pm

TGV your visit to Reno was so close to us in Las Vegas, next time take your adventures to southern Nevada & join our horology party! Great vid yet again, cheers mate.

19. Vadim Lopatkin on October 19, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Please, review the Oris ProPilot Big Crown.

20. Daniel K on October 19, 2022 at 9:25 pm

What is the book/magazine you were flipping through with all the watches at 16:33?

21. Izbiq on October 19, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Check out Yema! The navygraf is an amazing offering with French in-house caliber.

22. Akshay kumar on October 19, 2022 at 9:29 pm

This might be a little different but i cant help but to share ti with you.

Its at 4:47

23. Teddy on October 19, 2022 at 9:29 pm

TGV ==== Are you also a pilot??

24. Azim Ahmed on October 19, 2022 at 9:30 pm

I mean, few people who dislike your vids can just be haters! great work keep going

25. Peter Pas on October 19, 2022 at 9:32 pm

My favourites are the Tutima NATO, Bell&Ross Space 3 Ti, Damasko DC56 and Sinn 142 ST (and that is why I bought them 🙂 )

26. ZEEKtheGREAT on October 19, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Good video. I enjoyed it. My son and i just attended Miramar Air Show in San Diego. Probably one of the best Air Shows in the U.S. I have a Fortis Flieger Cockpit that i like very much.

27. ClearOfCloud on October 19, 2022 at 9:33 pm

I know it’s German and so outside the realm of this this "Swiss" review but any thoughts on the the Sinn 356

28. Mr k on October 19, 2022 at 9:34 pm

I know this may not make sense to everyone but the name fortis reminds me of a famous Hospital and Orient of appliance maker like Fans/coolers etc.

29. Mike Morgan on October 19, 2022 at 9:35 pm

What about Alpina?

30. Curtis LeBlanc on October 19, 2022 at 9:35 pm

TGV, I must say, so nice to see you keep your style of episode we all love after teaming up with watchbox. I love you channel and eagerly wait for my notifications when a new episode comes out! You’re a classy guy, best of luck in the future. -A loyal Canadian Follower

31. Nelson Prendergast on October 19, 2022 at 9:37 pm

I just came across a Alpina pilot watch earlier today. Can you please do a review of this timepiece in the future? It looked like a IWC watch… very beautiful. Thanks!

32. Lance Uppercut on October 19, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Damn! Just caught up to this video TGV. Wish I’d gotten to it earlier! I absolutely love Fortis watches and would love to own at least on in my future (the B42 Cosmonaut would be my pic of the bunch). That Bell and Ross looks like a cross between their old partner Sinn and a Panerai to me. Very nice👌🏻. O & U to the good Gentry.

33. David Michienzi on October 19, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Fantastic Video TGV, Looks like you had a blast👍 we had an air show here in town and wow good watches and aviation enthusiast go hand and hand. Haha so much eye candy👍😊

34. Wingi on October 19, 2022 at 9:43 pm

When this vid first came out I was on the road so watched it on my cell phone. I’m now back home and watched again, this time wearing my Fortis B42 Black Mars Chronograph. Excellent stuff, Sir!

35. Timo _ on October 19, 2022 at 9:45 pm

A late comment, for a minor correction in history: Lindbergh used a Longines watch on his ”lindyhop” but it was not yet the famous hour angle watch. That was designed by Lindbergh after the flight, when he had become world famous and Longines saw his value in business of course. Longines was the ultimate watch provider for pilots on that era, among them also Amelie Earhart.

36. G Lepp on October 19, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for the video , always entertaining and welcome break . Cheers 🍷

37. uknowmysteez on October 19, 2022 at 9:46 pm

IWC MARK XVIII

38. Michael Jennings on October 19, 2022 at 9:47 pm

The I finally got my first watch brought a Rolex submariner date and a zodiac sea wolf it s taken me all this time when I first started saving you were inside gentry hq along with your war room what’s that about 5 years thank you for teaching me and giving me the inspiration to get my dream watch

39. J M Martin on October 19, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Nice, TGV. Nice aviation theme… nice watches… EXCELLENT video!! 🖒😎

My grandfather flew P-51s in WW2; my dad flew AH-1G Cobras in the Nam; and I crewed UH-60A Blackhawks at the tail end of the Cold War… Aviation is in my blood– and, therefore, so are Pilot’s watches… 🚁

40. James Herrington on October 19, 2022 at 9:48 pm

The date marker looks like a bull’s head.

41. Sr. Jurado on October 19, 2022 at 9:48 pm

GO FORTIS!✨

42. Reece on October 19, 2022 at 9:48 pm

The Oris big crown is spectacular in that red wine colour with the brown strap. May have found a new pilot watch

43. RJ on October 19, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Hi TGV check out JOMW latest video for a nice hommage 🙂 (The flieger one)

44. Eddie de Beer on October 19, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Amazon video, thank you!

45. Jeffrey Franco on October 19, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Absolutely excellent review of Swiss pilot watches! Bravo! I’ve owned the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch, circa 1976, and the 2003 Rolex GMT Master II. I’m a great fan of Sinn in the modern era and absolutely love Fortis as well. However, now I must descend so to speak, from the lofty historical and mechanically technical elite brands, which we all love and lust after, to say that today’s Air Force and Navy pilots flying stealth F22 and F35 fighter jets are in reality using Casio g shock squares and Timex Ironman watches to nearly the exclusion of all others. These timepieces are shock resistant, 200 meters water resistant, have world time, 24 hour chronographs and countdown timers, solar powered batteries, atomic time keeping, can withstand freezing, boiling, being dropped from thousands of feet and as you know are practically indestructible. But, what they SERIOUSLY lack is that style, aura and sense of aeronautical history, pedigree and beauty that only the watches in the video, and of course the German Sinn, offer the wearer. I appreciate my Casio for it’s capability, but I LOVE the Flieger and the mechanical chrono for it’s looks, style, beauty, heritage and the way they feel on the wrist. Thanks again for all the wonderful content, both informative and entertaining. May I also say delivered with more style and panache than any other watch reviewer on YouTube. Thanks again.

46. MegaDave on October 19, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Pan-Am and the GMT. It don’t get more glamorous than that

47. Ben Broomhall on October 19, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Is Alpina a good brand? I have looked at them over the years…seem good with a long history.

48. A X N on October 19, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Great video. Turbo interesting content and style.

Have you ever considered doing a video about Wempe? Really cool under the radar German brand. One of the original Flieger manufactures during WW2. Would love to hear your thoughts about some of their models.

49. alpenjon on October 19, 2022 at 9:58 pm

I love you man and your love of our Swiss watches, but please don’t butcher the names of Grenchen (not Gretchen) and Schaffhausen (not Schafthausen). I have no issues with an accent at all, but you switch out letters and I know that is not your intention. Best regards!

50. Samuel Ball on October 19, 2022 at 9:59 pm

Loved the air race footage TGV. Hope you got to ride in a plane at some point? That would have been amazing. Great selection of watches too 👍