The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield Range Session

The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield Range Session

If you’re one of the many thousands of S&W M&P Shield 9mm owners, here’s a quick 50-round practice session to try at the range. This will work for pretty much any semi-auto, but it was designed specifically with the Shield in mind, and in this video I talk about working with some of the challenges specific to running the Shield.

Download the B-8 Bullseye target: https://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/B-8-LG.pdf

For more shooting drills and training tips, check out our Start Shooting Better video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYqiOqBy2WM8FNCocZnQCXwUuUMuqqyTE

Support our channel, buy ammo from Lucky Gunner!

1. Jim Quinlan on January 22, 2023 at 1:32 am

BORING…I SHOOT MY SHIELD AT "HOSTAGE" TYPE STEEL AT 40 YRDS..I WOUD SUGGEST IF YOU SHOOT AT 7 YARDS YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT ACCURATE SHOOTING, OR SHOOTING IN GENERAL..BEST YOU GET YOURSELD A SWORD

2. MrCaptainmorgan420 on January 22, 2023 at 1:34 am

Went out and bought myself a shield today. Can’t wait to go shoot it

3. Southern Arsenal on January 22, 2023 at 1:35 am

Any instructor advocating for appendix carry is not much of an instructor…in case you wonder why I commented on your video, it’s not personal, anytime I see people teaching unsafe habits , I’m gonna call them out..sorry. By the way, the Shield is a GREAT weapon.

4. Long on January 22, 2023 at 1:35 am

Anyone here shot the pro performance version? Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks??

5. TommyT on January 22, 2023 at 1:36 am

Promag makes a 10 rounder for this; however, there is debate on the reliability with such, which results in many not recommending carrying the promag 10 as a backup. As well, you can now buy + 1 for the s and + 2 baseplates to install onto the factory magazines which I’m hearing is reliable.

But aside from all of that, great video. Espeicially with how you are keeping you shooting arm tight and hand centered. Thats always a first and biggest correction I’m seeing with people in CCW courses.

6. Michael Whitfield on January 22, 2023 at 1:36 am

What model of the shield are you shooting.

7. Marty McFly on January 22, 2023 at 1:38 am

Do a review for M&P Shield 2.O please

8. mikey drise on January 22, 2023 at 1:38 am

M&p all day i rented the glock at my local range, it wasn’t cleaned I could tell but I had multiple malfunctions from feeding and ejecting. My m&p when Dirty never had issues

9. Mark effend on January 22, 2023 at 1:39 am

my safety is my finger if its not on the trigger then its safe

10. Trucker Tim on January 22, 2023 at 1:40 am

I love my 🛡.

11. Ronald Lucero on January 22, 2023 at 1:41 am

IT is a " POP GUN " NO MO NO LESS .

12. alejandro1991ify on January 22, 2023 at 1:42 am

What products you use on your beard?

13. JBM on January 22, 2023 at 1:44 am

This dude has something negative to say about every firearm he reviews.

14. Chris Bonnett on January 22, 2023 at 1:45 am

I shot the shield better than my full-size M&P.
    So much so, I bought a second shield as a backup for SHTF.

15. Michael on January 22, 2023 at 1:45 am

this is my off duty carry gun, I shoot this gun great and I do not use the safety

16. Abdul Valencia on January 22, 2023 at 1:46 am

I recently shot my shield 9 an was really disappointed. The first couple of mags once they were empty the gun wouldn’t slide after last shot and then i had 4 failure to extract an over 6 times that it wouldn’t put a round in the chamber so i had to bump it in the back to get it to shut. I shot 165 shots 15 hollows and the rest were ball ammo. I was shocked by how many times it jamed. Shot a beretta 92fs 700 round only 1 FTE

17. dennyadkins21 on January 22, 2023 at 1:46 am

You know what they say, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one. Guns are no different. Buying a firearm is like buying a car. Test it before you buy.

18. ITS TIME TO KIT UP FOLKS! on January 22, 2023 at 1:48 am

Get mine tomorrow 😁

19. Burke of Mellow Park on January 22, 2023 at 1:48 am

6/’18. My shield9 is my favorite carry. Cap.is 9+1 (MagGuts) Not 1 issue in 4 yrs. Outfitted w. a Viridian green laser. Eats all ammo. Fun 2 shoot. Easy 2 maintain. Comfy 2 carry. A proven, reliable firearm

20. frankthespank on January 22, 2023 at 1:49 am

……that shield looks like a medium size gun on him 😆

21. Frank Hernandez on January 22, 2023 at 1:49 am

Chris like always great video! Love the hat where can we pick one up?

22. DavidSixSixFive on January 22, 2023 at 1:54 am

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

23. automaniac on January 22, 2023 at 1:58 am

I got big fat hand, even though the gun is small, the feel is really good in my hand. My profile picture is shooting the M&P shield

24. Burke of Mellow Park on January 22, 2023 at 2:00 am

It’s all personal preference. I carry a Shield9 w. a viridian green laser. My mags upgraded to Magguts +2. Cap is 9+1 or 10+1. Awesome pocket carry. Ranger 147 gr.

25. Deck Ape on January 22, 2023 at 2:00 am

Awesome channel. I hope you get to review the Honor Defense Honor Guard 9mm. It’s one I’m considering.

26. JBM on January 22, 2023 at 2:02 am

Anydrill you do on a full size auto I could do on a shield or any other sub. I challenge you!!! Be a man and let’s do a competition..

27. Shane Scott on January 22, 2023 at 2:02 am

Good video. I was hoping to see more of your comments on the Shield as a carry gun. I have a Shield 9mm without the safety, and it is very reliable and accurate. I prefer my Glock 43 and 42 for carry but the Shield is a close second and a great value right now.

28. Farstrider on January 22, 2023 at 2:04 am

Any thoughts on the 2.0? I didn’t care for the original, but I do love the 2.0! I know there isn’t that much difference, but it feels like a whole new gun to me.

29. bugler2B on January 22, 2023 at 2:05 am

Thank you so much for these videos. These are great practice routines & goals for those of us who can’t afford or don’t live close to a qualified instructor. I’ll be ordering from LuckyGunner soon. Keep up the good work!

30. Ryan Lemieux on January 22, 2023 at 2:07 am

Chris do you still prefer the 9c to the shield ?

31. C Lowe on January 22, 2023 at 2:08 am

Just got back from range and ran my old gen 1 Shield (with Apex trigger) and my P365 through dot torture. I ended up scoring a 37 with the P365 and 42 with the Shield. I did not exepct that at all. This reminded me just how good the Shield is.

32. Eric Carminati on January 22, 2023 at 2:10 am

When you live in California, you have no options 😠

33. SmithN' Wesson on January 22, 2023 at 2:11 am

I love mine. It shoots great and never gives me problems. Now im about to buy an M and P 2.0 full size whike they are cheap

34. Bully VonWilson🇺🇸 on January 22, 2023 at 2:13 am

The shield is great but the Walther PPSM2 is far more Superior

35. Chris Noyb on January 22, 2023 at 2:14 am

Good info, if a little rushed.

36. Tony Pajamaz707 on January 22, 2023 at 2:16 am

Less talk more shoot

37. Sledgehammer on January 22, 2023 at 2:16 am

I just bought one. I’m 6’4 305lbs. Big guy looking for a comfortable and safe holster. Anyone know of a good comfortable waistband holster for this gun?

38. Paulsur on January 22, 2023 at 2:16 am

Very cool and very generous of your time. Thank you!

39. Big6Red3 on January 22, 2023 at 2:17 am

I loved how you made it a 50 round drill and not some crazy hundreds of rounds were you wouldnt be able to practice on a regular basis

40. DavidSixSixFive on January 22, 2023 at 2:17 am

I think its important to practice reloading. When I was active Army, I could reload without looking, which helps keep you aware of the environment.

41. LP SQUISHY BOTTOM on January 22, 2023 at 2:21 am

….. my revolver has 7 shots

42. GSB5W on January 22, 2023 at 2:22 am

He points out the manual safety not being designed very well and I totally agree. I totally agree and that’s why I bought the NTS version although I wanted the other version.

43. Francis GARNER on January 22, 2023 at 2:23 am

Hey first I am a very good Lucky Gunner coustermer !!! I have the SHELD plus be careful what you tell your viewers there’s nothing wrong with the safety. Again I am a very good coustermers! Nothing is wrong with the SHELD!!!

44. JBM on January 22, 2023 at 2:24 am

Let me guess you carry a Glock?

45. J Shepard on January 22, 2023 at 2:24 am

This gun is a steal. I’ve seen it recently for $250 from Palmetto State Armory, Grabagun, etc.

46. Drink RedBull on January 22, 2023 at 2:24 am

Is that cap for sale?

47. Dennis The Menace on January 22, 2023 at 2:25 am

I acquired a Shield about a year and a half ago. I wasn’t sure what to make of it but the price was incredible. I’ve put as many rounds through it in that time as I have through other pistols I’ve had for 10 years. It’s really a great shooting gun, reliable and accurate. I can put 80% of rounds fired on a silhouette target at 50 yards unsupported with ho-hum ammo. It’s one of my favorite guns. That took me by surprise.

48. VlKlNG on January 22, 2023 at 2:26 am

As someone who finally decided it was time for an EDC (thanks to recent political/cultural developments), I really appreciate this video. Thanks for the guidance! Was already a subscriber, but this definitely proves just how meticulous you are in genuinely informing your viewer base in every aspect of owning a firearm. Thank you for the consistent quality content! Stay safe and don’t comply!

49. Maldo Han on January 22, 2023 at 2:26 am

M&p shield 9mm best single stack period.
    Buy American and don’t get Glock leg
    Shield has a much safer trigger.
    Glock is good but not for carry.

50. Kevin Harris on January 22, 2023 at 2:27 am

I’ve seen several of your videos but this one came across my feed at EXACTLY the right time. Started carrying a shield 40 appendix recently and was looking for a basic drill. Thank you greatly.