The Worst Thing You Can Do For Your AR

The Worst Thing You Can Do For Your AR

MOBILE USERS: Since the pinned comment doesn’t seem to appear for you here it is: Problem solved! A reduced-power buffer spring did the trick and I was able to then reduce gas a little with the gas block. See how smoothly this rifle runs in the second video here: https://youtu.be/tjFRl6sO_GY

If you’ve been around the block more than once you may have noticed that asking for advice on the internet can often be more trouble than it’s worth, but I’m doing it. This “fancy rifle” build began with an F-1 Firearms receiver set, Aero Precision barrel, and POF DIctator gas block, but just won’t run. Lightweight carrier and Odin Works light weight buffer and there’s still not enough gas to run the gun.

Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gbguns/

5% off at Optics Planet with code, “GBGuns” we don’t earn a dime but it shows you support us!

Find the gear we use and approve of: https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.account.AGPDFAXJ4CV6QZMOU4DG5C5IGXTA/BATWYLM7HJYK

Support this channel with some swag at www.cafepress.com/GBGunsMerch

1. Curt E on July 22, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Do the barrel and the receiver both have feed ramps, I know that can cause cycling issues or maybe that’s just failed to feed or fail to go into battery

2. Jona Adams on July 22, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Get a weaker spring maybe?

3. James Jones on July 22, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Try a reduced weight spring combined with your reduced weight buffer. I had to do that with my build. Took months for me to go through everything and get it to cycle.

4. CMB on July 22, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Reduce the spring tension.

You will get it!!

5. John Smith on July 22, 2022 at 7:44 pm

yeah not really an ar 15 any more nothing is normal about it or it sounds like no milspec parts at all sort of stupid with thousands of dollars for a paperweight . hahahhaahh. maybe build a milspec 1 first to understand them better. as for first guns keep it simple a 22 bolt action with iron sight. same concept

6. Comrade Oblivious on July 22, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Where’s the detent to retain the buffer and buffer spring? Even though you fixed it I would be interested to know if that may have been part of the issue

7. jayson haselton on July 22, 2022 at 7:45 pm

You don’t run a buffer tube catch? I’m thinking you should have gone with a carbine length gas system at 7.5. also check out a light buffer spring, flat spring.

8. Richard Gong on July 22, 2022 at 7:45 pm

The rifle length gas tube was the same mistake made when the M2 dissipator was conceived. They basically cut down a 21" barrel to 18" and as you explained didn’t have enough barrel length after the gas block to create enough pressure to Cycle the bolt reliably. Now add an extra light bcg and spring and you’ve compounded your problems.
    I see you’ve fixed your issue with an even lighter buffer spring. That’s awesome because it shouldn’t have cost too much for the final repair.

9. sinsick1196 on July 22, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Your buffer tube is crooked and your missing the spring detent

10. Brian Cunningham on July 22, 2022 at 7:50 pm

I realize this old and you’ve undoubtedly have resolved your issue im curious where is the detent that holds the buffer spring and buffer tube/weight in the buffer tube.? description: spring loaded pin that threads into the lower portion of the buffer tube. It’s use is to keep a predetermined level of pressure on the spring thus *relaxing* the reward motion of the bolt carrier group. this pin is usually located closest to the rear take down pin. it can generally serve as a key/lock in order to keep the crown nut that attaches the buffer tube to the lower receiver from backing off if becomes slightly loose. violent motion into a shoulder. Be a sad Darwin story for buffer tube an bcg blast its way through a fella or lady shoulder. Esp on their personal from scratch super high end no expense spared build. Not something you can blame on a quality control issue. Instead of aluminum could that bcg possibly be made of titanium..? I would like to purchase it if your interested. Hope this reaches and helps folks in the future. God bless Ameri2a, ALL the brave active and fallen veterans that fought an continue to fight for us to keep our wonderful beautiful and diverse country safe and free. Well *safe an free as our Government/Administration will allow* Its all a form of communism if you keep the same mind set an principles in office for generations at a time. Eventually if you continue adding laws to everything then some point anything becomes illegal. To the point, when does it stop, when is enough, TRULY ENOUGH.? *PROBLEM SOLVED* 😮

11. Jeremy Jeremy on July 22, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Why would you have a gunsmith assemble the upper? I would have to think you could easily do it yourself.

12. Scarecrow on July 22, 2022 at 7:52 pm

I was just watching this on my home page just scrolling through… don’t you think it’s as simple as the buffer spring being too strong? I mean you went so light everywhere else.

13. mjohnstonflying on July 22, 2022 at 7:52 pm

for the love, please put some oil on that.

14. William on July 22, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Do not be afraid to cut a couple coils off the buffer spring either. I have had to do it with 20" barreled AR-15 build even with the gas block wide open, light spring with light buffer

15. L-V BORDER COLLIES BRYAN BAQUET on July 22, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Gazelle braided spring buffer tube

16. xDoubleUx on July 22, 2022 at 7:59 pm

your missing a detent in the buffer tube that holds the buffer and spring in the tube.

17. Alvin 73 on July 22, 2022 at 8:05 pm

The gas tub is to long for your type of build new barrel and gas tub the. It will run flawlessly

18. StormProof Training on July 22, 2022 at 8:06 pm

It’s because you built a Novelty Rifle putting as many suction parts in it as possible. It’s not a serious weapon.

19. bjdenil on July 22, 2022 at 8:06 pm

Sounds like your carrier group needs some lube… sust sayin…

20. Kaden W. on July 22, 2022 at 8:06 pm

You screwed yourself before you even started by purchasing anything with F1 branding on it. I see almost nothing on this build I could recommend if you’re looking for reliability, there’s too many variables going on here.

21. Mary Wills on July 22, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Ughhh…

22. iamcondescending on July 22, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Get a new barrel with a carbine length gas system. Your dwell is way too short. Just asking for trouble there.

23. 1 Free XP on July 22, 2022 at 8:11 pm

I have read that you changed the spring and that worked, but to me it seems like you mixed mil spec and commercial

24. Organic on July 22, 2022 at 8:15 pm

the buffer tube spring isn’t supposed to go out of the buffer tube

25. Charles DeMay on July 22, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Off hand I would say it COULD BE THE RECOIL SPRING. I’ve worked on several other weapons so I do have some knowledge of the workings of WEAPONS in general. My 2 SUCCESS STORIES is I replaced the recoil spring in my German Luger (40lb spring) and I replaced the breach block on a 1914 German Luger which had LOCKED UP because of the broken part (I did fix it with a original appropriate part. It worked like a CHAMP, SHOULDN’T HAVE SOLD IT.😯😩😮‍💨. IT SHOT GREAT, ACCURACY WAS NAIL DRIVING (8" NEWLY MADE AUSTRIAN barrel), the company made barrels for the Germans for BOTH WARS. 😁👍

26. Original Gangsta on July 22, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Buffer needs weight

27. Original Gangsta on July 22, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Need weight to buffer to make it cycle.

28. s mc on July 22, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Having the action open to fill with dirt, etc isn’t a good idea. As some WW1 French guns learned the hard way. The Chaucat (sp?) ("Sho-sha") had spring magazines that were open, and easily filled with mud from the trenches. Same issue!
    Learn from 100 year old mistakes!

29. Kyle Leah on July 22, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Maybe try selling it. That should fix the problem.

30. Lionloc VanDwellington on July 22, 2022 at 8:18 pm

No offense but that janks ugly

31. lokkandloadgaming on July 22, 2022 at 8:20 pm

I’d literally ignore a custom build and just use a regular AR….less crap to fail on an already proven weapon system…..

32. mjohnstonflying on July 22, 2022 at 8:21 pm

going softer spring and lighter doesn’t make it shoot "softer" it’s a balancing ack.

33. Graham Baates on July 22, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Problem solved! A reduced-power buffer spring did the trick and I was able to then reduce gas a little with the gas block. We suspect the gas port is too small on this barrel as we KNOW the block is properly aligned. See the second video here: https://youtu.be/tjFRl6sO_GY See the article to learn about the myths perpetuated in the comments of this video: https://www.ballisticmag.com/impossible-ar-build-myths/

34. Annette Prince on July 22, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Get a stronger buffer spring

35. smb566 on July 22, 2022 at 8:24 pm

MEGADETH!!!!!

36. M IshaSumi on July 22, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Almost always buffer weight issues

37. Kennard Johnson on July 22, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Interesting this is a old vid,but I run the heaviest buffers and springs in all my builds,but I run mil spec front site,and the heaviest bolt carrier you can get. Eject at 1500. Ps sorry I don’t care for your build

38. William on July 22, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Another video with annoying comments by more self proclaimed experts who don’t do this for a living. So annoying. Complaining about a skeletonized reciever and have no idea the brand and how good that Iron City Berserker Reciever is. Guys calling it a range toy who most likely have a junk factory rifle with a forged recievers or if they built one bought a non matching complete upper. Do yourself a favor and do not comment on things you clearly know o nothing about

39. Theodore Labby on July 22, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Lighter Buffer spring next like others have said, cause it’s fairly inexpensive. I see there’s no buffer retention where the buffer tube mates to the lower, is there a specific reason for that?

40. William on July 22, 2022 at 8:29 pm

I know! Don’t glam up your rifle ! What a POS

41. Gerald Goodson on July 22, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Mine done that it was magazine

42. Turf Surf on July 22, 2022 at 8:31 pm

If we shoot this in the desert of AZ or UT or CA, the sand will get in in no time.

43. Ryan Ianaro on July 22, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Through my years of building every shape and size AR, there’s a few things that I will never skimp on, nomatter the weight. From here until the end, every bcg will be a SOLGW full auto with accompanying sprinco white / red spring with adjustable buffer weight of varying sizes. It’s the heart of the rifle afterall. Even with my range toys that I try making as light as possible, a point of non-discussion is choice of the heart. My main goal, nomatter the build is reliability and consistency. Once those parameters are set, you can then start playing around with all other aspects. Also, if you don’t plan on ever running a build suppressed then DONT INSTALL AN ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK! It’s just another variable for Murphys law to drag its nuts across….

44. soldierofliberty on July 22, 2022 at 8:32 pm

I bet you get so much crap in that gun if out in the field

45. Swift Accurate Maintenance of Unrivaled Excellence Lifelong on July 22, 2022 at 8:35 pm

My guess… too lightweight built?

46. Anthony Lynch on July 22, 2022 at 8:36 pm

I was going to suggest trimming a coil or two off the buffer spring.

47. Kenneth Albert on July 22, 2022 at 8:37 pm

You can buy mm sized wire brushes (with 1/4" hex) for a drill to hone out the takedown pin holes. You can also roll a small piece of sandpaper and turn it by hand. Keep checking pin fit, come from both sides to minimize inaccuracy.

48. sinsick1196 on July 22, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Wtf is your buffer out if the tube upon disassemble sitting on the trigger

49. Scrum Diddily on July 22, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Worst thing besides massive skeletonizing cuts in the upper so the BCG path can get obstructed and cause a massive failure to cycle?

I mean I’m sure it’s a range toy but it’s still silly to me, and not worth the price in my eyes, that being said. It doesn’t truly matter if I like it or not, as long as OP likes it and is happy with it, that’s all that matters

50. Kryptic on July 22, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Buffer spring shouldve been your first guess since it runs manually fine but shortstrokes with a featherweight piston. Literally first thought I had.