This Rossi 44 Mag is Disappointing

This Rossi 44 Mag is Disappointing

Otherwise a great gun, I was disappointed with two things about this Rossi 44 Magnum. One I knew about up front and that’s on me. The other . . . well, I need your help in understanding.

1. mich schep on October 19, 2022 at 9:02 pm

I have one of these….. i’ve done a lot of polishing due to sloppy machine work, sloppy tolerances, and bad fit/finish….. couple that with a barrel bore of .433, compared to .429 of .44 mag pistols, with standard .44 bullets being .429 or 430, its a bb rolling down a hallway…… size your jacketed bullets to .433, and use accurate arms #7 for a 240gr bullet….. #9 is too slow, accuracy suffers…..push them to about 1500 to 1600 in a 20 to 24 inch barrel….. polish all moving internal parts, wear points, and pins, and shorten the springs on the lever retainer pin by a ring or 2…… vastly improves slide action and loading…..

2. Ed H on October 19, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Exactly what I was looking for. Local place has the 24" and a stainless 20" 44mag. The 20" barrel sure looks thin, maybe its just thinner to the 24" octagonal. Appreciate the comparison of several different brands in both barrel lengths.

3. Ted Pfenninger on October 19, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Congratulatipm ons on your new rifle . I have used the Marble tang mounted peep sight for years with complete satisfaction. I have three mounted on various rifles. It sure nice when you need to make a windage change, to reach up and turn that knobs. Thanks for the video,George, much enjoyed!

4. Lance Robert Hough on October 19, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Had to lower my IQ to watch. Not subbing. Be well.

5. wiseguy 436 on October 19, 2022 at 9:07 pm

There are good reasons why the Rossi is not the most used rifles used in the the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting. and fit and finish aren’t the reasons .

6. John Doe on October 19, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Name the rifle Nick Rubb.

7. David Gibson on October 19, 2022 at 9:11 pm

If the powder completely burns in the shorter barrel, then there will be no increase in the longer barrel.

8. Hans Stein on October 19, 2022 at 9:11 pm

20 inch is the way to go on a 44 mag rifle. Unless you need to pack light with s 16 inch rifle.

9. Bradley LaFeir on October 19, 2022 at 9:17 pm

I don’t know which video of yours is better, the one where the R92 is “cheap and good” or “disappointing” lmao

10. north61 on October 19, 2022 at 9:19 pm

I think your velocity increase is going to be slow with longer barrel length due to the expansion ratio..not a very big chamber size for a .429 bore. So a small amount of expanding gas to push on the base of the bullet.

11. Chris Noyb on October 19, 2022 at 9:19 pm

The Ballistics By The Inch website stopped testing a few years ago, but the info they have will give you a good general idea of at what point you get diminishing returns. The 125 grain bullet traveling at that speed might break apart too soon after impact, depending on the intended target.

12. carl mohrherr on October 19, 2022 at 9:20 pm

As others mentioned with some loads the optimal velocity may be reached in a shorter barrel, ‘But’. Even when of the same length length not all barrels are equal. You should have seen some significant velocity increase with an extra 4 inches of barrel. Variations in chamber, rifling, and other dimensions could all be important. My guess is if you cut 4 inches off of the 24 inch barrel it will shoot slower than the other barrel.
    For a 44 mag the only reason for a 24 inch barrel is for a longer magazine tube or longer sighting radius. Now for a 25-35 with reloads and slow powder I can see the wisdom of a longer barrel, but then it has been a long time since anyone to my knowledge has made a 25-35 rifle.

13. Hamish Alexander on October 19, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Had one long ago switched to Chiappa Alaskan 44Mag and its an extrem upgrade for me…. allready over 300shoots. (Here in Europe we dont get Winchester Marlin and co so easy..)
    Best Ammo for Rossi is Magtech, surpise surprise…(same company) Also Magtech is often very hot loaded and the 44Mag is very hot))

14. Martin Swiney on October 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm

I think I saw a scratch on the lower right side of the butt stock as well when you showed a close up of the gun. Also I dont care for the grain of the wood stock. Just my personal preference but I like the long grain of walnut stocks.

To get higher velocity out of that barrel length you will need to hand load using data for a rifle. Be sure to keep rifle loads separate from standard loads. They are really over pressure even for the heaviest 44 handguns.

15. Tyler Thrash on October 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Personal opinion if I’m spending 7-800$ for a rossi I might as well buy a henry or marlin. Just over priced rossi is now days. But great video

16. Roland19 on October 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm

I actually just bought this same rifle in stainless, was going to replace the semi-buckhorn sight with a Marble’s Bullseye sight. I noticed you’ve used them as well, wanted to ask how easy they are to install, and did you keep the original front sights or did you swap those out as well? Thanks, great videos!

17. vettelover2009 on October 19, 2022 at 9:22 pm

IMR4227 is a slower burning powder than both H110/W296 and lil gun…all used in magnum handgun loads…I’ve used IMR 4227 in .351 WSL and was getting right at the factory loads in an 18” barrel…I would be willing to bet the .44 mag rifle would benefit well from this powder in a longer barrel…as far as the plated bullets, I wouldn’t push them much faster than you already are…berrys usually claims 1200fps is max on their plated projectiles…Xtreme claims 1500fps with their .44 mag double plated…I would try to locate some IMR 4227 and give them a go with those 240’s…H110 in a .44mag stealth hunter is stout from a 7” barrel…24” might just be pushing the amount of available gas to its limit…

18. Chris Stillman on October 19, 2022 at 9:24 pm

May i ask where in houston you found it? Im in houston and been wanting the r92 in 357

19. liberty on October 19, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Ive got the new 357mag same gun worked a good accurate with blue dot refinish the stock and replaced horn sights with ladder sights try the 158 Remington 38pp , for the 44 try 300 gr. BULLETS vary accurate in 44 rifle! Regardless of speed clover leaf accuracy is what i prefer!

20. Terrell Austin on October 19, 2022 at 9:25 pm

What are the bullets you mentioned are they Bears (sp) bullets? Where can they be bought?😊

21. creek and pond fishin on October 19, 2022 at 9:26 pm

I want the carbine in Rossi. Had a 30-30 Rio grande ss

22. Tracy Peterson on October 19, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Some bbls are just fast

23. Joseph McCormick on October 19, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Maybe it’s not the rifle but the shooter

24. ghost on October 19, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Here’s a more interesting idea off the top of my head I think based on the way that lever action rifles work you could put two of them in a side-by-side configuration and like a side-by-side shotgun have one barrel pulled by one trigger pull each fires each Barrel and then considering the fact that they have a different locking mechanism than say a bolt action rifle and therefore rely on lower pressure loads as opposed to higher pressure loads like a 308 Winchester then you could put something like a high explosive round in it and make a nice tactical lever action

25. Adam Stevenson on October 19, 2022 at 9:32 pm

What powders are you loading with?

26. Daniel Varner on October 19, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Handload might have had faster powder that maxed out in the shorter barrel and pressure could have been decreasing in the longer barrel friction slowing it down. Given they are not the same manufacurer the the miroku could just be a faster barrel than the rossi

27. Jeff in TD on October 19, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Nice video. For rifles I’d suggest trying H4227 with 240 or heavier projectiles. If you cast, a gas checked (or powder coat) 240 might be the ticket. Some lever guns don’t feed all types of semi was cutters.

28. Lance Robert Hough on October 19, 2022 at 9:35 pm

The Winchester is way more expensive your comparison is illogical.

29. Vincent Dorsey on October 19, 2022 at 9:35 pm

I bought the same rifle 20 years ago…Still have it, BUT when I got it, even as new it needed a lot of work to smooth the action down. It was very rouigh, very stiff and it even pulled a cartridge apart on extraction. Sent it off to a first class smith in Tesas who smoothed it up for Cowboy action, Runs like a champ now. Action is smooth and even feeling, Plain open sights are spot on.

30. mike G on October 19, 2022 at 9:37 pm

When the powder burn is complete so is barrel pressure at that point.

31. Lance Robert Hough on October 19, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Why would you expect a retailer to cut price on factory flaws when his cost wasn’t reduced? That’s stupid.

32. mike G on October 19, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Hornady flex tip. That would be my choice bullet. It has a higher coefficient.

33. Eric Knieriemen on October 19, 2022 at 9:41 pm

After a certain length of barrel. You will start to lose velocity. This is especially true when shooting pistol calibers. A 16-18 inch barrel is about the best for .357 mag and .44 mag. You will be aiming above your target at 200-250 yards.

34. Gerald Bodnar on October 19, 2022 at 9:41 pm

I have the Rossi 357 20" and love it !

35. Jeff Lyon on October 19, 2022 at 9:43 pm

Ive wanted a rossi 92 with exactly the same demensions, but you gotta admit that the price point in my opinion is gonna include perhaps, maybe a scuff or a blemish that will "wear" out in time as the finsh is likely to have less a resistance than a fifteen hundred dollar winchester or a 700 dollar marlin rifle, the benefits of hot handloads for a rifle, and say, ruger blackhawk pairing might also be a good point for some, or even the mildness of a .44special? well, despite the finish i would try one out.

36. Hollis Cook on October 19, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Want more velocity get a 444 I’ did great combo to the reload 44mag for my Blackhawk anaconda or s&w29 and a bear stopping saddle gun.

37. Tony Doggett on October 19, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Lever actions are ideal for close range feral pig hunting in Australia.

38. Brian Lucas on October 19, 2022 at 9:49 pm

I’ve got a rossi r92 and it’s fantastic.
    accurate, well crafted.
    no problem whatsoever.

39. Jefferson Davis on October 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Take the rifle hunting . You might "scratch" it a bit and an aperature or ghost ring would aid the sighting.Nice rifle ,now get out and use it.

40. Norse Man on October 19, 2022 at 9:50 pm

These marks has nothing to do with the make of the gun, it’s been mishandled. Although, all mu guns have marks from being used, I don’t mind. It give character to the gun and show it is something I enjoyed using. I never buy a gun for the safe only.

41. Peter Reily on October 19, 2022 at 9:51 pm

So it’s not the rifle per say that’s disappointing, it’s the 24” barrel that’s disappointing? That’s what I’m gathering.

I just purchased a rossi 92 44mag gold and blued 20”. I was kind of afraid I’d made a poor decision I’m not paying another $150 for a marlin. The video title worried me.

Now it looks like it’s just the barrel length you chose that’s disappointing, rather than the rifle being total garbage.

42. Rick Taylor on October 19, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Thank you for the great information and content. Keep it up. God bless.

43. Tylerd85 on October 19, 2022 at 9:53 pm

I am no professional but what’s happening is, it’s a pistol caliber made for a short barrel. So in the rile length barrel your getting a complete powder burn so the gains are minimal after 16 to 20 inches. Your reaching the maximum velocity in less than 24 inches

44. badger jamees on October 19, 2022 at 9:53 pm

lol,all rossi firearms are garbage. Those rossi circuit judges are one of the worst firearms ever made! Waste of money and time.

45. Russell Weber on October 19, 2022 at 9:57 pm

I don’t understand why a white Christian would waste food by shooting it, wasting food is a sin.

46. Joshua Bennett on October 19, 2022 at 9:58 pm

I feel like a putting any sight besides a buck horn or red dot on a 44 mag rifle is very contradictory to the best use of the pistol round in a rifle a quick handy short range rifle that you can get a quick sight picture and take out game at close range fast pace

47. Sam Dunlap on October 19, 2022 at 9:59 pm

Fantastic firearm I have taken several deer all be it inside of 50yds,using 230grn LSWC and it just rocks them,I have even loaded Pyrodex just for fun,once again fantastic lil firearm.i did redo the wood though 😀 👍

48. Displaced Redneck on October 19, 2022 at 9:59 pm

I have the very same Rossi, love it. Your velocity disappointment is definitely a pressure issue with typical pistol powders. What powder did you use with those screaming Lehigh handloads? I tried a variety of existing loads when I got my Rossi. My 250 grain trailboss "mousefart" loads actually keyholed out of the Rossi, even though they shot true out of my 7.5" super Blackhawk and 10" contender barrels. I added the receiver peep to mine in place of the safety, got it from Steves Gunz. Only issue I had with the Rossi was that the magazine tube was sliding forward with my heavy loads. Was able to fix that with some JB Weld under the forearm.

49. Paul C on October 19, 2022 at 10:00 pm

Is this a Texas channel?

50. aldeureaux on October 19, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Buffalo Bore had published similar results for some of their ammo, can’t remember if it was .44, .45 or what, but around 18 inches was ideal if my memory serves me correctly. I think more powder or slower burning powder would produce the results you are looking for. Just so much powder to burn in those short cases.
    Question, will the Rossi action accommodate those longer 300+ grain .44 mag loads from BB?