Thompson Center "Dimension" Rifle

Thompson Center "Dimension" Rifle

This is my review of the Thompson Center “Dimension” Rifle in 30-06 with a 223 conversion kit. The rifle is well priced but quality made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. The rifle is available in the following calibres 204, 223, 22-250, 243, 7mm08, 308, 270, 30-06, 7mmRM and 300 Win Mag. For those of you looking for a budget rifle and the option of an interchangeable calibre system, this rifle is well worth a look.

Intro music by Under the Flood – “Fly”
Written permission kindly provided by the band for use in this video.

1. Shane Broomhall on August 20, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Paid for one today in .204 Ruger, will also be getting .223 and .308.  Thanks for the review, it helped me with my purchase decision.

2. Mr. Plainview on August 20, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Finally got my lefty dimension in 270 this summer. Scoped it out and shot it. Was very pleased with the accuracy. Shot 2 deer with it so far this season and it performed well. There are 2 areas where I think the gun takes hits though and to me they are pretty big ones. One is the cheap crappy magazine. After waiting months and months on the gun its a bummer when you open the box up and find your factory issued mag laying there with the base plate barely hanging on. The only thing holding all the plastic together is 4 little plastic "nubs" about 1 mm in length. It’s pathetic. They could’ve done way better on this without spending a bunch of money. They did send me another one for free and let me keep the broken one. I super glued the crap out of them both and so far no problems. The second issue is the rubber coating on the stock. I’ve taken the gun out on two separate hunting trips and 1 trip to the range. I wasn’t overly rough with it and I’ve found 2 spots where the very thin rubber coating is already coming off the stock. It should hold up way better than this in my opinion. But other than these issues it’s all good so far.

3. wooh80 on August 20, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Hey everyone ive just got my licence and i wanted to know if anyone could please recommend a good 22?

4. ahessent on August 20, 2022 at 8:17 pm

good review, very thorough. I own this gun and love it. I see some comments from other viewers about the price. Here in the US, it’s much more affordable and makes more sense as a switch barrel design. We pay about 550-600 USD for the gun, then barrels at 200 and bolts at 125-150.

5. Iam Morbius on August 20, 2022 at 8:22 pm

Competent review

6. Boof Timex on August 20, 2022 at 8:23 pm

only need one scope for two rifles too…. nice – love the price… Blaser, Dta and whatever other interchangeable cals are way too pricey (In Aust anyway)

7. Mike Stuart on August 20, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for the great video mate.

8. Shane Broomhall on August 20, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Sadly T/C stopped producing this rifle.. That makes parts very difficult to get.

9. G on August 20, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Very realistic to fiddle with getting the bolt out. Lets the viewers see that this is what they’re facing.

10. Kal Chang on August 20, 2022 at 8:31 pm

My first rifle purchase. Changing the barrel was very helpful.Thank you very much for the review.

11. xrmad on August 20, 2022 at 8:31 pm

there wont be much stump left if you keep going with that 30aught o.O

12. Walter dl on August 20, 2022 at 8:32 pm

RIP TC Dimension. I wish they had not discontinued this great rifle.

13. Obeconobe7 on August 20, 2022 at 8:35 pm

From what I see, when using TC’s bridge mount the barrel nut can not slide off the barrel to be used on other barrels like done in this video. Therefore you would have to have an additional barrel nut for every barrel that has the bridge mount installed. Now if TC supplies a barrel nut with every additional barrel purchased this wouldn’t be an issue.

14. shaka_jku on August 20, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Hate they discontinued this. I have it and 6 barrels for it.

15. Tony Smith on August 20, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Outstanding job friend. Keep up the good work.

16. WinstonSmith6 on August 20, 2022 at 8:37 pm

I have had good luck with outback ammo.

17. Ben Nguyen on August 20, 2022 at 8:38 pm

I noticed you torque the lug nut with scope exposed and pressuring down ward on the rear ocukar. A recipe for scope off zero or damage sonner or later. Minor detail for high end gear handeling good luck

18. Rich Weatherly on August 20, 2022 at 8:40 pm

This makes for a great multi-caliber rifle. Excellent performance from Federal Ballistic Tip rounds.

19. Obeconobe7 on August 20, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Great concept if the additional required components didn’t cost almost as much as or more than a new rifle.

20. NedT on August 20, 2022 at 8:40 pm

PS: they are made in america, hopefully they arnt made like Remington’s… lol 😉

21. telenurse2 on August 20, 2022 at 8:42 pm

ur like the non tactical austrailian version of nutnfancy

22. NedT on August 20, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Much agreed mate, you get what you pay for. And i do the same….
    But not all rifles are created equal,
    Your much welcome to have a go on my zastava and pick out the differences between it and say an expensive winchester modle 70 (excluding the stock).

23. texpat on August 20, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Nice review!

24. Phumerz on August 20, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Great review, LGS near me has some good deals on these so strongly considering one of them soon, this was really helpful thanks!

25. Mr. Plainview on August 20, 2022 at 8:48 pm

Have any new likes/dislikes on the gun since you’ve had more time to use and abuse it? Hows the mechanics and accuracy holding up with it?

26. Cam on August 20, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Even if the parts weren’t interchangeable, the features on this rifle are very good. Worth much more than a Remington 700 SPS. However, that stock is so damn ugly!

27. Trevor Gale on August 20, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Hi Ozzie, good review, Question: if you use QD rings and had multiple scope and QD rings when you swap barrels would it hold zero if the combinations were previously zeroed of course.

28. Tony Buckeridge on August 20, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Thanks for the very informative video. I am thinking of buying one over here in NZ "they are still selling them new here" Until I saw your video I was unaware that you could change calibres outside of groups. But unfortunately no one is selling anything other than the calibre the rifle came in. Mainly 243, I would like both 223 and 308. Are parts available at present in Australia, like barrels, bolts, magazines and inserts. Thanks

29. TRUMP 2020 on August 20, 2022 at 8:53 pm

I quite like this rifle. It’s a tough choice, but I mainly keep mine configured for 7mm-08 just in case I see something edible to shoot out my window.

30. Trotskii on August 20, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Love the concept of this rifle.  I know it’s mostly in my head, but I like the idea of buying one gun and getting twelve, even though I have to change out the barrel, bolt and magazine.  Never shot one, but I suspect it’s on par with my Ruger American.

31. NedT on August 20, 2022 at 8:56 pm

Decent review mate thanks,
    Must say the fact that the bolt dosent come out would be a major sticking point for me, especially for a 1K$ rifle.
    Price wise i think that this multical rifle is redundant. A zastava costs 560$ If i want another cal id just buy another another rifle 560$. total cost 1120$ verses $1435 for the thompson and 1 spare barrel.
    And If your going to a different bolt face then the zastava is cheaper outright.
    The savings is in the scopes =]

32. 10MMGary on August 20, 2022 at 8:56 pm

Back to life with my comment, I just(03-20-2019) purchased this Rifle in a left handed version chambered in 30-06 Springfield & 22-250 Rem . CDNN Sports is closing them out(my purchase was 515.00 USA dollars shipped to my FFL down the road).

33. Derbarl Yerrigan on August 20, 2022 at 8:56 pm

I’ve been looking for a magazine bigger than the standard 3 rounds. does anyone know if a 5 round or more is available.

34. tinkertrek on August 20, 2022 at 8:58 pm

The bolt does come out.

35. Klevee on August 20, 2022 at 8:58 pm

You don’t have to jiggle the bolt. You just turn it til the round cut out on the bolt is upside down then it slides right out. I don’t have any trouble removing and re-installing it. So it’s a non issue once you actually use the rifle and not make a review when you’ve never used the gun.
    I have the 7mm rem mag and I just can’t say enough about this gun. Groups I can cover with a quarter at 200 yards. And the different barrel idea is fantastic. This will save me a ton in different guns for different game.
    Great vid though. You’ve got the barrel change down to a science.

36. 3006USMC on August 20, 2022 at 8:59 pm

EXCELLENT REVIEW !!!!!

37. NedT on August 20, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Yes it dose do doubt, but to screw around to remove the bolt on a brand new rifle isnt go0d…

38. Philsgoodnow on August 20, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Hi mate nice review! BTW The Dimension has an optional scope mount called the Loc Bridge that keeps a scope connected to the barrel and stays zeroed
    Of course you would need two mounts and two scopes but no sighting in after switching calibers

39. gdrahcir on August 20, 2022 at 9:05 pm

I brought a savage Edge package in.223 and my mrs got the same in 30-06. Both rifles with stainless barrels, 4-9 bushnell scopes and synthetic stocks for about $650 – $700 AUD. They shoot straight as and never had any problems. Just wondering what would be the key feature to buying a rifle like this that is more expensive than 2 purpouse built ones for cheaper. Cheers.

40. Micah Herring on August 20, 2022 at 9:05 pm

i have been wanting to get a dimension and i think it is the rifle i will get but i have heard that when you have the d family (7mm-300 win. mag) in that the cheek pad will kick more up when you shoot it and start hitting your face. Have you noticed this problem any?

41. xrmad on August 20, 2022 at 9:07 pm