Traditions Kentucky Flintlock Kit Build – Gary Lewis – Muzzle-Loaders.com

Traditions Kentucky Flintlock Kit Build – Gary Lewis – Muzzle-Loaders.com

More Info: https://muzzle-loaders.com/?utm_source=Gary%20Lewis%20Outdoors&utm_campaign=GL-2020

Traditions™ Kentucky Flintlock Rifle Kit Build – Muzzle-Loaders.com

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Traditions muzzleloader kit! We created this video to walk you through the unboxing process, troubleshooting, recommended loads, and much more! Gary Lewis from Gary Lewis Outdoors and Frontier TV shows you how to assemble this Traditions Kentucky Flintlock Kit. From start to finish, learn about the tips and tricks Gary learned on this kit build!

Shop Now: https://muzzle-loaders.com
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MuzzleLoader…
Find us on Instagram: @muzzleloaders
Emails us: sales@muzzle-loaders.com

Of course, for any questions about muzzleloading, you are welcome to call us at 1-855-236-5000, or email us at sales@muzzle-loaders.com.

1. MFing Chuck on July 20, 2022 at 7:08 pm

Tru Oil and coffee filters, gives a glass finish!

2. Stoney327 on July 20, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Gary:
    I’ve been into BP since the 70’s and have built a few of these Pa.style long rifles, good job. My biggest complaint is the method of attaching the barrel? On my Hawken style rifles, there are Barrel Wedges and escutcheon plates. On these long rifles you use "pins" through the barrel lugs. They are a real PITA when it comes time to clean. Taking them out and replacing them tends to bend the pins and ruin the holes. Do these new long rifles use pins or some other method like wedges?

Thank you for the video. I’ve built at least 4 Traditions rifles for people and I’ve never had one go together flawlessly, without bad parts or missing pieces. I spent more time than I care to recall on the phone and emailing pics. of poorly fitting parts. Eventually their gunsmith realized that the trigger assembly was incorrectly formed and sent a new one, but not until 4 months had passed?
    God bless:
    Two Feathers

3. caintfindme on July 20, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Like the hat

4. RI Outboards on July 20, 2022 at 7:11 pm

does the torch increase the likelihood of warping the barrel is that why they say not to use one? I did it the same way in sections like that, then measured with a straightedge and .0002” feeler gauge because i realized that might happen. all turned out well in the end.

5. BAMA1986 on July 20, 2022 at 7:13 pm

Hat looks ridiculous , brown rifle barrels looks terrible . 👍

6. smartacus88 on July 20, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Do you offer the deluxe kentucky rifle kit?

7. Bunk Stagner on July 20, 2022 at 7:14 pm

I would suggest the first couple of coats of Tru Oli to mix it 50:50 with turpentine. It gets the finish down into the wood and makes a very durable finish. Allow a day or two to let the finish cure before the last coats. Great looking rifle, by the way I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

8. BC Nation on July 20, 2022 at 7:15 pm

Man, this looks like a lot more work than I thought it would be.

9. Just Passin Through on July 20, 2022 at 7:15 pm

Just built mine today

10. Arch308 on July 20, 2022 at 7:15 pm

I built one of these way back when they were marketed as CVA. I really enjoyed the build and it was a good shooter.

11. Treasure Monk on July 20, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I didn’t know you “guys” liked guns! 🤣

12. Randy Scott on July 20, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Looks great but I’m after a kids kibler southern mountain rife that’s period correct and I think it will be challenging but we will see .32 cal squirrel rifle

13. Dam Puthireach on July 20, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Sir ! It can be kill animals or not???

14. Ralph Perez on July 20, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Looks Great. You did a wonderful job.

15. Bob Boyer on July 20, 2022 at 7:23 pm

Just a hint on the ramrod. Use steam and then place it in between two boards that are parallel and the exact diameter of the rod. Leave the rod proud and use sand bags to hold it down and straight. Leave it like that for a day or so. It should do the trick.

16. Elijah O'Connell on July 20, 2022 at 7:24 pm

is the chord thats playing in the sanding portion from a pearl jam song?

17. R Toguidver on July 20, 2022 at 7:25 pm

Crocodile Dundee had real Crocodile teeth ???

18. Jeff Ussery on July 20, 2022 at 7:26 pm

I’m going use a thinned oil based Mahogany, then seal wool, then overlap with thinned golden oak stain on my riffle. I will do around 4 to 5 coats starting with fine steal wool graduating to #0000 for the final finish. Then for the oiling posses I will just use only#0000 steal wool between coats until it’s baby bottom smooth. It will have a deep multi layer finish requiring a lot of elbow grease, and time. The rewards are worth it. Now choosing between bluing or browning the barrel.

19. Mark Tercsak on July 20, 2022 at 7:29 pm

No such thing as a Kentucky Long Rifle, that is a modern early modern 20 th Century term
    Long Rifles were produced in Pennsylvania and are known by County, they were also produced in Maryland, Virginia and the Carolina’s, .

20. Mark Tercsak on July 20, 2022 at 7:30 pm

Just one problem there is no such thing as a Kentucky Long Rifle.
    Long Rifles were made in Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Virginia, the Carolina’s and Georgia and New England states.

21. Nicholas Proietto on July 20, 2022 at 7:31 pm

Traditions guns are OK entry level guns, and good practice for new builders. Their quality is on the lower end. If that is all a person can afford then ok, but there are much better kits out there, they just cost more

22. My favorite Martian on July 20, 2022 at 7:34 pm

I built an earlier version of that same model. I threw away the brass plate where the stock is spliced together and used the two pins for alignment, but made a thin Ebony wafer to go in between.(It made a one piece stock) I also discarded the brass end cap. I made one from the Same Ebony. (Also part of the stock now) The lock was inletted slightly too high in relation to the barrel so that the touch hole was covered by the pan floor. Too late to raise the barrel or lower the lock. SO I carefully lowered the pan notch in the floor until the touch hole was uncovered. I needed a little bit of extra height because the hole should be AT the prime charge top layer. If the prime charge is over the hole, it gives the gun a two stage let off. Hammer fall, whoosh…..bang. When the hole is even with the prime charge, it goes, Hammer fall, whoosh, bang. almost in the same instant. A really fun gun.

23. Russ Jones on July 20, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Where is the 3/32 barrel attachment to the barrel pins? Nice work..

24. GLOCKCOPG23 on July 20, 2022 at 7:35 pm

That’s too much time and crap to deal with IMO. Nope, not me. The rifle did come out very pretty though. Good work.

25. Stranglehold Outdoors on July 20, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Does the rear of your barrel make contact with the rear horizontal screw going through the lock assembly?

26. A&S Hoffman on July 20, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Placement of various parts namely the pin hole placement,) among other problems to be encountered to complete this kit

27. Thurston Hargrove III on July 20, 2022 at 7:38 pm

This man feels like a big time rifle stock carver when he stated carving a buffalo on his stock,I have news for this amateur he didn’t carve a buffalo on a gun stock, he engraved a buffalo on a gun stock,carving is totally beyond this mans pay grade, ne needs to stick to his day job greeting people at Walmart.

28. Caesar on July 20, 2022 at 7:38 pm

Guys what is the deal with all the Pietta revolvers being out of stock? Does it have to do with corvid? I really wanted a steel frame 36 caliber Navy.

29. Dave Jones on July 20, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Nice!

30. Silas McGarrah on July 20, 2022 at 7:46 pm

About how long did this take over all? I’m interested because I may try it myself but I don’t know if I’ve got the time.

31. Dennis Lane on July 20, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Mine doesn’t look nearly that nice. I do love it though. They shoot great. Very nice job, something to be proud of.

32. David Gates on July 20, 2022 at 7:49 pm

OK to fix bent wood or if your bending it take a PVC pipe and hot glue gun a steemer hose from those hand held stemmers for traveling to take out the wrinkles with and hot glue gun it to one in of the pbc pipe. Slide the wood into the open end then after 20 minutes pit it in jig to bend or straighten.

33. MADDOG 45 AUTO on July 20, 2022 at 7:51 pm

Great video thanks for sharing it with us and it’s always awesome to have the little ones helping Linseed oil your ramrod and then heat treat shape it like the natives used to shake their arrows it works every time

34. Trey 816 on July 20, 2022 at 7:53 pm

I painstakingly sanded it with sandpaper. Not a power sander and engraved my name into the stock, because as the saying goes, "This is my rifle this is my gun. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

35. thomeatsok on July 20, 2022 at 7:55 pm

You should return your great-grandpas power sander

36. KENETH COLLINGS on July 20, 2022 at 7:56 pm

What a shame this rifle is no longer on the Traditions website. The only flintlocks they sell are now half-stocks.

37. Q Citizen on July 20, 2022 at 7:57 pm

NEVER use a power sander on a wooden gun stock.

The stock has a curvature, whereas the sander is flat-base.
    You can easily leave flat spots on the stock which will ruin the look of your new rifle after you paid money and worked hard to build it, stain it, varnish it.

Additionally, ANY type of motorized sander runs the risk of removing too much material.

It’s BARE WOOD…
    You’re only supposed to be removing the oil left on the wood from people’s hands who’d handled it back at the factory. There’s nothing else to take off with sandpaper.
    And even at at, it should ALWAYS be done by hand, and of course with very fine sandpaper.

That is… if you want a nice rifle, and don’t want to waste your money.

All I need to hear is that this guy’s full time job is a doctor, or dentist, and the world just got a whole lot more frightening.

When this guy brought out the ‘shredder’ power sander, he made my wife and I hold each other close and cry.

He’s a bad man.

38. el_juano on July 20, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Opinions are like politicians: Useless.
    IMHO.

39. Hank Severino on July 20, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Left out the entire barrel install process. Getting the pinions in, and drilling. It’s a cool project, and I’m still working on mine. But it’s a lot harder than this guy shows

40. out in the sticks on July 20, 2022 at 7:59 pm

There is no need to go to 1500 grit for prefinish sanding , 220 or 400 with the grain , then start the finish . Then finer while finishing , no need to go more than 600 with oil finish . If using something like OB shine juice then it can be power polished

41. Ashton Shaw on July 20, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Did you do the engraving with a dremel?

42. Norman Braslow on July 20, 2022 at 8:00 pm

The stock cut in half is ridiculous. I very, very much doubt any originals had that…..

43. Mike Grossberg on July 20, 2022 at 8:01 pm

There are COLD-browning solutions available. I believe Wahkon Bay makes one, and I know there are others. You can do the entire barrel at one time, and you don’t have to worry about "cold spots" ruining the finish

44. A&S Hoffman on July 20, 2022 at 8:02 pm

This guy covers what he feels is required to his sartisfaction and not on the real nuts and bolts of completation of this project.(re drilling and

45. Crosis of Borg on July 20, 2022 at 8:03 pm

That ramrod is so bad it makes me wonder about the quality of the entire gun.

46. Bubba Doolittle on July 20, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Very nice presentation!

47. David Lane on July 20, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I bought the same kit bAck in 83 was a good shooter

48. Sixgun Symphony on July 20, 2022 at 8:05 pm

I look forward to a hunting video with that rifle.

49. The Syrew Crafter on July 20, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Can You Supply one to Pakistan? pls I Desperately need one! Pls reply me I can tell you my address this is my first real musket I’m gonna buy

50. Peter Cunha on July 20, 2022 at 8:08 pm

I wish I had bought the CVA model when I had the chance , bought the traditions version, the kit is ok but I wish someone could explain the decision to make the stock in two pieces , the wood doesn’t match and as far as pinning the barrel get some zip ties to anchor the barrel into the stock for measuring and drilling