Walther P99: History and Overview

Walther P99: History and Overview

The Walther P99 is one of my favorite modern handgun designs, so let’s take a tour of my Gen 1 .40 caliber version and talk a little bit about the history of the platform.

1. Transformers Hoarder on July 23, 2022 at 7:37 pm

I bought my SW99 in 40 S&W back in 1999 and still find it amazing. The SW99 40 is a 4.25” barrel but the SW99 9mm was 4” so it wasn’t compatible. Not sure if that held true for P99 as well. There was a short run of 357 Sig conversion barrels though.

2. Warren Rhinerson on July 23, 2022 at 7:39 pm

I have a Gen 2(current Gen) Walther P99AS in 9mm. Ruined my Glock 19 for me

3. MxGiK3HuNNx on July 23, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Very professional and very educational not like other gun tubers

4. peanuts17 on July 23, 2022 at 7:41 pm

My dad recently gifted me a mint and complete in box gen 1 P99 9mm in the green color that he had. I shot it with him several years ago when I was really into glocks – didn’t really get it then. But now that it’s mine I appreciate it is a cool gun. Would love to carry it but don’t really want to shoot it given how neat of a piece it is.

5. Stanley Chen on July 23, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Loved my P99, but ended up selling it back to it’s original owner and bought my first PPQ. However, I do have the half brother Magnum Research MR9 still. Will probably get another Gen1 at some point. They’re just great guns.

6. Stop the Philosophical Zombies on July 23, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Proof we live in a shitty simulation is the dominance of button mag release guns vs. paddle guns.

7. _Suburban_ on July 23, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I’m a little jealous. I’ve been looking for a Brosnan era P99 for a little while.

8. gza06955 on July 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Sweet I have a Gen 1 P99 with the green frame

9. PelenTan on July 23, 2022 at 7:54 pm

I have one. Bought it in ’99. On the re-cocking. Starting with it in your hand. Point it up slightly and grip with your thumb. Take your other four fingers and wrap them over the slide just in front of the rear sight. Then just squeeze. That will pull the slide back just far enough to re-cock the striker. I know that sounds a bit like a gimmick, but it keeps you from pulling it too far to the rear and partially ejecting the round in the chamber.

I had a Glock before I bought the Walther P99. The Walther shoots better in every way. Including a recoil that is almost straight back. It is an excellent point-and-shoot gun.

10. Big Syrup on July 23, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Oh yeah. Thanks. Drive up the price of these goddamn things when I already can’t find a Gen 1 model for sub-$800. Yeah, great, exactly what we needed.

11. GENNERO from 69st on July 23, 2022 at 8:00 pm

I like the gen 1 p99 more then the newer ones

12. Evan Dickerson on July 23, 2022 at 8:01 pm

So well loved that Canik based almost it’s entire brand around this pistol. now they’re more ppqish
    Edit: glad you mentioned it, they have a multitude of models including a decockable, single action.

13. sorryociffer on July 23, 2022 at 8:03 pm

Had a gen1 German made .40. Great gun and I got a good deal on it. Ended up selling it because it was a .40.
    It IS a very ergonomic gun.

14. 《M¤A°》360 on July 23, 2022 at 8:04 pm

💥😎4 EHT MHTIROGLA👍🇺🇸

15. Zac Shaheen on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I FINALLY bought one of these after always wanting one 🙂

16. gza06955 on July 23, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Also had a few other Gen 1’s over the years, including a couple of the very rare MI-6 James Bond P99’s (one in 40, one in 9mm) check those out sometime I wish I had kept them!

17. Chris S on July 23, 2022 at 8:08 pm

I got a Walther gen 2 as a European police trade in. The thing was in perfect shape for a great price. Our department was issued the SW99 after the 5906. They were terrible and riddled with problems to the point S&W switched out our guns free of charge to the new at the time M&P.

18. อิทธิศักดิ์ ชมภูธร on July 23, 2022 at 8:09 pm

ยิ่งให้ดูจะได้ไหมครับ

19. Jeff Betts on July 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Back then Walther and S&W collaborated together to make the P99, P22 and the S&W99.

20. Brennan Mai on July 23, 2022 at 8:12 pm

The front sights are also swappable for height adjustment. I’ve got a few I’ve collected over the years and they’re the most underrated handguns in my opinion. Hell on the 9mm, there’s a slide relief for press checks well before that came into vogue. Most don’t know this but the slides are serrated up top for anti glare, and the striker cups are maritime cups out of the factory. I do believe that the factory rail adapters are still available but wouldn’t blame you for wanting to print one, as that’s 99% of the fun.

21. Ruggedmeetsrefined on July 23, 2022 at 8:12 pm

The .40 S&W version has a 4.20” barrel, and the Canik TP9 Elite has a 4.19” barrel. Canik sells replacement barrels for great prices. Or Jarvis Custom sells a P99 conversion kit for triple the price. I’m sure Canik would refund your money if for whatever reason, the barrel could not lockup correctly, or if you have the dough, go the Jarvis Custom route. You would also have to purchase a 9mm P99 mags but a Gen 1 9mm that you did yourself would be sweet. The recoil spring/guide rod are the same in the 9mm and .40 S&W versions.

22. Sevenity on July 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼Booligan!!

23. Justadudefromsocal on July 23, 2022 at 8:19 pm

Beautiful pistol

24. Dominic Moonpace on July 23, 2022 at 8:20 pm

The 22 version of these was a pain in the buttocks to disassemble clean and reassemble even following the instructions

25. Johnny BB Gunner on July 23, 2022 at 8:22 pm

I am now more impressed with my CP99 Pellet Pistol Replica after watching your video of the real pistol. It has all the functions and features.😎

26. BElliNo McFly on July 23, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Jealous of your P99. Mad Pierce Brosnan 007 Vibes!

Love the indicators, decocker, and paddles.

About that Canik, tho… 😜 Got the DA in Bronze, and it is my little Safe Unicorn🦄

27. InfuzeDcyphR on July 23, 2022 at 8:23 pm

I have a P99 AS. And I was the same way, I grew up in the airsoft world also and owned the HFC and KWA P99s and trained on them for years. Love the paddle mag release concept and always did well with them in airsoft. They were my expertise. Thus I own real steel P99s.

28. Crangaso on July 23, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Sweet piece!

29. The Revan on July 23, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Pretty cool to see you talk about a non-3D print, and I actually might pick one up myself now

30. American Patriot on July 23, 2022 at 8:31 pm

I have 2 First Gen P99s. They are 100% reliable.

31. godsdozer on July 23, 2022 at 8:32 pm

I have a German .40 cal, it has been a truck gun for a long long time (along with a CZ scorpion 9mm in the truck)

32. Emmeth Ro on July 23, 2022 at 8:34 pm

very cool. i’ve been looking into getting an early p99 so i can have all the main cast guns of cowboy bebop. then they make the live action series so now i’m waiting for the cringe to settle. as if having an anime themed gun collection wasn’t bad enough already

33. RevolutionPony on July 23, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Hey Booligan, did you know that the internals of the P99 are dimensionally the same as the PPQ? Thats how I added a rail and an ambi slide release to mine.

34. Daniel Atkins on July 23, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Always loved the p99. Until the sw99 *puke* my edc is a canik elite combat executive so yeah