What barrel length should you be using? – Go Shooting Shotgun Coaching Videos – Series 2 #4

In this week’s video Russell explains what the current trends are in many of the most common clay target events in terms of barrel length.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Go Shooting’s YouTube channel is designed for all shotgun shooters that want to improve their skill level. Our coaching videos are aimed to easily understand the basic fundamentals of the sport. They are perfect for all the disciplines of the clay target sports, hunters or simply recreational shotgun enthusiasts wanting to gain a little more understanding on how to hit their target more consistently.

Go Shooting is owned and operated by Olympic Gold Medallist Russell Mark and his wife Lauryn Mark, a two time Olympian and triple Commonwealth Games Gold Medallist.

1. Darin Divinia on January 23, 2023 at 1:30 am

Well done video.

2. Spread Eagled on January 23, 2023 at 1:31 am

I’m a short fella, standing at 5’-5,” so I prefer the 28” barrel based on my short stature. I can swing and handle the shotgun much better and more comfortably.

3. George Laliashvili on January 23, 2023 at 1:35 am

Great presentation, many thanks for that. One qestion if I may. What is the difference between 71cm and 73 cm barrels and which one is more effective?
    Many thanks guys

4. Jhon Singh on January 23, 2023 at 1:36 am

Dear Russell, I am new to Trap shooting. Is it possible to shoot Double Trap or Trap with a Beretta 692 "28 inch" sporter ?? And in that event what chokes should one use on the sporting gun??

5. Subodh Satish Katyal on January 23, 2023 at 1:37 am

Very helpful
    So now going with 28" for my daughter’s skeet shooting, she is a beginner and her height is 5’1".
    Hope u’ll second this.
    Thanks

6. Capt. Gus on January 23, 2023 at 1:37 am

👍🏼 thanks

7. Jeffrey Elliott on January 23, 2023 at 1:41 am

I like 26 in. to 28 in. barrels !!!

8. Milkman on January 23, 2023 at 1:43 am

What are the minimum barrel length for each discipline? Let’s say Olympic skeet and trap and fitasc Sporting

9. Sidney Collum on January 23, 2023 at 1:44 am

Thank you very much for a great video on barrel lengths!

10. Muddaser Abbas on January 23, 2023 at 1:50 am

28” & 30” is the barrel length that 99% shooters of the world use. Simply

11. Kentucky Earl on January 23, 2023 at 1:51 am

My father in law has a 36 inch bolt action 12 guage with a 3 round magazine. He loaned it to a friend of mine in Alabama for a turkey shoot, he won it all lol. That gun is awesome 👌. I have a "28" single shot and am on my way to purchase a "20" semiautomatic with a 5 round mag. "28" I use for turkey and squirrels. I want to be able to reach out and get them at good distances. I’m no pro but it works.

12. Ronald Weiss on January 23, 2023 at 1:51 am

Good history. Good tips. Good video. Thanks.

13. brad rook on January 23, 2023 at 1:51 am

Barrel length depends on you height and terrain application..not much else…I like a short barrel for Grouse hunting in the woods
    A goose hunter may like a 30"+…
    It’s your choke selection that matters

14. Solderpro_1 on January 23, 2023 at 1:52 am

damn im here using a 20 inch for everything 🙁 should invest in a 26, 28 or 30..

15. Gold Country Trapping on January 23, 2023 at 1:53 am

Hi Russell, i think I know the answer but is 30" still a good barrel length for shorter shooters?

16. Brian Trent on January 23, 2023 at 1:54 am

I mostly use my shotgun for 3 gun but for practice will do some 5 stand and even done some sporting clay tournaments with my friends who do that full time.
    I take my 940 pro and stoeger 24 inch and do well with them. Had the highest score on the team last tournament and pissed off several over under guys with the longer barrels. I use the briley extended and ported chokes.
    I did however just buy a 28 inch over under and see how i do next time.
    I get so many mean looks with a black and gold 940 and black and red stoeger with +12 tube extensions at a clay tournament. The range guys say i better not see you load more than 2 shells.

17. Medmann48 on January 23, 2023 at 1:54 am

I have 28" length barrel break open single barrel shotgun with a modified choke, will that work for trap shooting?

18. Tula1940 LB on January 23, 2023 at 1:55 am

Meanwhile my casual ass with a 18 inch Saiga 12. I enjoy shooting clays but I don’t do it often enough to get a dedicated shotgun for it. I still have fun and I still make hits 80% of the time. Great video!

19. Debbie Young on January 23, 2023 at 1:59 am

Excellent. A great demonstration.

20. Ong Baktok on January 23, 2023 at 1:59 am

Very clear and concise. Very good information. Thumbs up for this video!

21. Beretta L on January 23, 2023 at 2:00 am

30” barrel for hunting deer turkey and everything else ?

22. Paras Leonidas on January 23, 2023 at 2:04 am

GREAT vid. mate your the best.well done.

23. Matrim42 on January 23, 2023 at 2:05 am

Heh, I used to shoot trap with a 24” because that’s all I had and I was broke 😂

24. Hasan Yüksek on January 23, 2023 at 2:06 am

Very informative video. I wanna buy 61 cm shotgun. Shall i use 61 cm for duck hunting? Will there be difference about length between 71 cm and 61 cm? İ will be appreciated ıf u reply back!!

25. punkrockncholo on January 23, 2023 at 2:10 am

Hunting grouse and skeet?

26. Ronald Weiss on January 23, 2023 at 2:13 am

Wow!! You covered a lot of information fast, and well!!! Thanks. I learn so much on yoiur channel!

27. Vice Richter on January 23, 2023 at 2:15 am

as if Im gonna take advice from a limey inbred Lol

28. Richard Cranston on January 23, 2023 at 2:19 am

Great vid. Easiest explanation I’ve heard so far.

29. Fahad Basman on January 23, 2023 at 2:20 am

What about hunting doves 30 or 28 ?

30. Jeyhun Hashimov on January 23, 2023 at 2:21 am

Which barrel size does Mick Taylor use?

31. Sean Patrick Courneene on January 23, 2023 at 2:23 am

I purchased a shotgun with a 21" barrel…I do alot of bird hunting lime partridge…I like that it great in thick brush and it’s a light rifle…however with a mod. choke what can I expect for distances with a reasonable pattern (shorting #4)? Is this barrel too short to hunt with? Thanks

32. Decibell one on January 23, 2023 at 2:25 am

iono – been shooting trap, skeet, sporting clays, been hunting dove, quail, grouse, pheasant, duck, geese, and more with the same gun since I was 8 years old, I’m 59 now – Remington 1100 vintage 1972 (have actually used it on more than 2 games at once. changed the O ring 1-time didn’t fail thought I should do it). There’s no beating this gun… – no beating it.

33. Travis Gulley on January 23, 2023 at 2:29 am

If a shotgun had a 12 foot long barrel would the shotgun shell still fire out of the barrel