What's the Best Way to Release the Bolt Catch on an AR-15?

What's the Best Way to Release the Bolt Catch on an AR-15?

There’s more than one way to release the bolt on an AR-15. Some people use the bolt catch, and some use the charging handle. This video discusses various techniques that utilize the bolt catch.

Support the Channel: https://www.patreon.com/clangandbang

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/clangandbang.alabama/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/clangandbang_alabama/

Email: clangandbangactual@gmail.com

1. parabolicpawn on September 20, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Prolly using cloves in combat. Glove don’t have the dex…so slapping shit into action is a way of life

2. Killian Krummel on September 20, 2022 at 8:12 pm

I’m a southpaw so it’s bolt release slap or charging handle for me. AK47s on the other hand are perfectly set up for lefty

3. MavHunter20XX on September 20, 2022 at 8:12 pm

I’m learning, what ever comes to mind first; thumb the button, finger the button (if you shoot left), palm the button, or grab the handle. When you run the gun frequently enough, you won’t think about it.

4. Frank Mccracken on September 20, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Have a bolt catch release that seizes or freezes up and will not move and lock back the bolt.

5. KvtSeta on September 20, 2022 at 8:15 pm

100th comment🥳 great video👌🏽

6. Andrew Lloyd on September 20, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Using the palm method is for being able to keep your eyes up toward target and not fumble around maybe missing with your thumb as well as the fact there’s no pull to the push, it’s taught to just give it an ass slap on the bottom and thus the first palm motion followed by bolt release. Also has a lot to do with how your harness is attached, ie if it gets in the way of your hand motions down the shroud

7. G W on September 20, 2022 at 8:21 pm

It’s a bolt catch not a release

8. Cody shmodie on September 20, 2022 at 8:21 pm

I be working on this too trying to get proficient, and sometimes my palm slap doesnt always hit right, im gonna use my thumb, less movement and more accurate.

9. Awake Not Woke on September 20, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Love it

10. Frank Mccracken on September 20, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Its brand new, had to range 3 times only takes 3 mags and it’s frozen in place.

11. Kunte Kinte on September 20, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Glad I’m a lefty,just use my pointy finger.

12. GenderlessYouTubeFanPerson on September 20, 2022 at 8:28 pm

God gave me my thumb? Hip, Hip Hurrah! Praise the thumb lord.

13. NUHASH RAHMAN on September 20, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Gotta try this on my neighbor’s kid

14. ScubaSteve303 on September 20, 2022 at 8:28 pm

I really like and appreciate your attitude towards gun training.

15. toonz montana on September 20, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Great advice. High stress practice is where it’s at

16. Geektarded on September 20, 2022 at 8:29 pm

They didn’t teach slapping it with your palm in the Army in the early 90’s.

17. Amaterasoup Lel on September 20, 2022 at 8:29 pm

What kind of grip is that?

18. extendus on September 20, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Slap it.

19. memeasaurus rex on September 20, 2022 at 8:30 pm

I personally don’t see a problem with slapping the bolt release. Either way works. The rifle ain’t made of glass, it can handle a slap.

20. Legend of the Stormlord on September 20, 2022 at 8:32 pm

I’m just about to pick up my AR lower receiver from my FFL tomorrow. I’m VERY new to AR-15s so please forgive me for being ignorant. So you can’t release the bolt by simply pulling back a little further on the charging handle as you can with a pistol slide? With a pistol, I never use that darned slide release switch. With a new mag in, I pull back the already open slide a little bit more and gently take it back forward as it releases. So the same can’t be done with the charging handle on an AR-15?

21. 大酒のバスコショット Ōzake no Basuko Shottu on September 20, 2022 at 8:33 pm

A quıte compellıng vıdeo.
    Thank you kındly, m’lord.
    Take good care of yourself. Stay safe. Have a great week.

22. Genewell Napata on September 20, 2022 at 8:35 pm

palm strike actually when we reload, our hand on the end of mag, thats why palm strike faster.
    and sling you put too close between hand guard and stock, thats why it block your way to palm strike. if u put on the head of hand guard, it wont happen.

23. admin htowntx on September 20, 2022 at 8:36 pm

You definitely like to give people the impression you’re ex-military.

24. Chris Watson on September 20, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Hey man nice video. What is that foregrip and stock you’re running? Also it’s very cool you can just shoot out in the woods. What state are you in that allows that?

25. cchgn on September 20, 2022 at 8:37 pm

So is that how you sling? Around your neck? Maybe that’s why it gets in the way.

26. KM IIA on September 20, 2022 at 8:38 pm

"Or use the tool God gave you!" Amen!!!

27. Freefallpilot65 on September 20, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Good vid. showing how to practice with what works right for you. Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

28. Air Glock on September 20, 2022 at 8:44 pm

This makes so much more sense.. that slapping palm strike shit is for people on YouTube trying to look cool..totally unreliable.. as you said you might miss,hurt your hand.. or knock your optic..THANKS MAN 🏁

29. Jackster7871 on September 20, 2022 at 8:44 pm

I think the military taught us to slap it because when we use gloves, and we often do, we can’t feel what we are touching. When in extreme cold conditions we lose most of the feelings to our extremities. Another reason is the adrenaline rush that could affect the shoot. The shooter could be shaking too much to perform a precise thumb press to the bolt release. Slapping the bolt release with their palm instead of their thumb gives the shooter more surface area to engage the bolt release. I do believe that with proper repetitions any shooter can master either method to send the bolt home quickly. good video dude.

30. huverdoose on September 20, 2022 at 8:47 pm

I was told early on in the Army to just rack with the charging handle and forget about the paddle. Two years after I got to permanent station I found out why the armorer there didn’t like me very much.

31. TheCherrybuster on September 20, 2022 at 8:48 pm

It’s funny how he prohibitedly uses his shoulder when shooting his "pistol" -:)

32. Alex Jones on September 20, 2022 at 8:49 pm

im new to ar’s just my got first one im in illinois so gun laws are super strict so not many neighbors to learn from

33. LightBenderGA on September 20, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Does anyone else has problems with their bolt release not functioning?

34. ZacarriBUFFET on September 20, 2022 at 8:51 pm

As a 5’3 Marine with tiny ass arms and an m16 with no adjustable stock. I don’t even grab the barrel because I can’t reach. So I use my thumb and continue firing with my hand on the mag well. Might be a different story if my unit actually gave the m4s and adjustable stocks to the midgets like they’re supposed to instead of giving them to 6’2 SNCOs and Officers.

35. Oblio1942 on September 20, 2022 at 8:51 pm

if you dont insert the mag then close fist punch it like your girlfriend’s face youre a bitch of a man and you arent 2a

36. slymanbry on September 20, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Wouldn’t the sling stay out of your way a little better if it went over your right shoulder and around your back, and loop back around to the weapon under your left arm? Seems like that’s a lot of weight on your neck that could be directed more to your shoulder/back.

37. John Waugh on September 20, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Not military but I slept, wait, I watched a lot of Viet Nam era movies.
    All the time you hear "Lock and Load!" O.K. so your shit is locked open. And your magazine inserted then 20 minutes later once you unass the ship and it’s time to load the chamber so wtf start hitting at that button that makes that happen instead of placing your hand just so your thumb is in position to hit the paddle.
    Someone help me out here. I’m thinking the palm method is more of a spastic motion after having the bolt held open and waiting for those long minutes until you are engaged.

38. Obi-Wan Kenobi on September 20, 2022 at 8:53 pm

For the fine motor skills deal, both pulling a trigger and dropping the magazine are fine motor skills. I hate it when people say that with a passion.

39. Enochi labs on September 20, 2022 at 8:54 pm

I was thought the slap but the thumb does feel more ergonomically correct.

40. damage on September 20, 2022 at 8:57 pm

When I was in, I used a palm squeeze or thumb like you. Also, some of us got a different style cocking /charging handle and we were instructed to use the ambi-dex cocking handle with our guide hand and never use the bolt catch after that to let the bolt carrier forward

41. ti84 on September 20, 2022 at 8:58 pm

All I want is S L A P

42. Victor Couto on September 20, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I always slap it

43. John Baldwin on September 20, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Army vet here 87′ to 95′, I am left-handed, so I had to use my index finger or my thumb… and/or use my right hand and cup the mag well to reach using middle finger for bolt release.
    Plus, the fact we only used our iron sights to engage at 25m out to 300m… none of us used any optics… specialized units were the only ones using optics from what I recall low power 4x scope, 3×9 scopes, night vision for snipers.
    Our low light training was to center our M16 buttstock to our chest and place our chin atop the buttstock with both eyes open to aim point to enemy positions and fire… and to mind our tracer rounds are hitting plus you get a slight illumination that might expose enemies or equipment?

44. Doug Rima on September 20, 2022 at 9:00 pm

I was in the military and they teach a bunch of worthless things! So guess again lol

45. Kevin B on September 20, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Nicely worded

46. kueda1 on September 20, 2022 at 9:03 pm

If you have ever been scared enough to make a diff it would make sense to use your palm, easier to hit while your shaking. If your not use to that amount of fear your not going to move properly. Makes sence to hit it with your hand becasue of adrenaline. Idk 🤷‍♂️

47. Peter Sgrulloni on September 20, 2022 at 9:03 pm

I use the palm slap because it’s how I was taught. But I am going to try the thumb technique next time to see how it works for me!
    👍
    Thanks for the video!

48. S. Davis on September 20, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Have you ever tried to unlock a door while being close to pissing on yourself? Fuck the key, kick the door down.

49. SuperShotgun300 on September 20, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Great video, man. I ended up here after seeing the ‘slap’ that people do to rifles in movies and games and wanted to find out how and why they did it. Good demonstration!

50. Luis Carrion on September 20, 2022 at 9:09 pm

with the thumb is the way to go